Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D Delivery Disaster, trying to resolve it with Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True about the DA, I ruined my first boats clearcoat like that, live and learn.

However, if you can point me to another MFG who uses low VOC paint in their production paint line, I'll happily stand corrected on the issue. California, for instance, banned the import of plasti-dip until they formulated a low-VOC version, which demonstrably sucks. I'm all about trying to reduce footprint, but the car's paint is soft and crappy and they skimp on clearcoat. It is what it is...

FWIW, the CA regulations you speak of are about to go national so there's that...

Jeff

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Man sorry to hear about this problem. It's gotta be frustrating beyond comprehension!
As I was reading your OP I was screaming to myself "don't take delivery, leave it on the truck!!!"
I've dealt with similar issues when buying used cars, or even just paying a freight company to move a car from one state to another... once it's off the truck you're basically hosed. Learned that the hard way on a beautiful BMW M3 I bought in Virginia and had shipped to Oregon.
I also would strongly recommend to NOT have a new Tesla (or any other manufacturer if they offer it) to deliver your new car to your home for this exact reason. Inspect that car yourself in person and/or have a trusted professional inspect it before signing any papers, especially any registration papers. The dealers know this, they know that once they have your money and the car is registered it is pretty much set in stone regardless of condition.
You being in the auto body business it's like the games the insurance companies play with you and the insureds right? They play this game every single day so it's easy to pull one over on someone who only buys a new car every few years.
Hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction.

Man sorry to hear about this problem. It's gotta be frustrating beyond comprehension!
As I was reading your OP I was screaming to myself "don't take delivery, leave it on the truck!!!"
I've dealt with similar issues when buying used cars, or even just paying a freight company to move a car from one state to another... once it's off the truck you're basically hosed. Learned that the hard way on a beautiful BMW M3 I bought in Virginia and had shipped to Oregon.
I also would strongly recommend to NOT have a new Tesla (or any other manufacturer if they offer it) to deliver your new car to your home for this exact reason. Inspect that car yourself in person and/or have a trusted professional inspect it before signing any papers, especially any registration papers. The dealers know this, they know that once they have your money and the car is registered it is pretty much set in stone regardless of condition.
You being in the auto body business it's like the games the insurance companies play with you and the insureds right? They play this game every single day so it's easy to pull one over on someone who only buys a new car every few years.
Hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction.

You are right and I learned my lesson. When I was at the Town Center mall I didn't even know there was any other way of doing the delivery. I just took their word for it that that was how Tesla does it. I mean I was standing in a store in a mall, doing the entire ordering and putting a deposit on a computer in there so I didn't think much of the delivery method. Let's just say I won't ever make this mistake again.

In no way will the CA paint rules go into effect nationally anytime soon or perhaps ever. Current regs allow 4-5 lbs of VOCs per gallon. That's 3x more than CARB limit. Trump EPA will not continue rule making and are reversing regs where they can. Automotive industry lobby doesn't just have a seat at the table, they are, to use an industry term, in the driver's seat.

It'd be great but don't count your chickens until they are hatched and after they've survived an onslaught of litigation (which the DOJ will NOT defend).

I hate when people make this argument. It wasn't me!! I'm not responsible! It was my sub contractor!!
Big difference between subcontractor and freight company. I have no problem with a company when it's clear that UPS damaged the product I ordered (assuming it was packaged correctly). Same goes for a semi that delivered. And my experience is they take care of the issue. Though to be fair, I've never had that situation happen with a car.

Oh the great old "pics or it didn't happen" crew. Some people just seek to make a conspiracy out of everything. You can say that without pictures there is no evidence, but if you really want to be skeptical, how do we know the source of the pictures are credible? What if they were photoshopped? What if they're of a different car entirely? Really, he could ship you the car in question providing physical evidence but then you could still argue "you just created these marks to damage Tesla!" It's never ending. There is a giant rabbit hole you can go down and at some point you have to look at the story as a whole and take them for their word.

The OP obviously had a nightmare of an experience and was simply seeking a solution. Once given one, he has since thanked everyone for the help and moved on. I fail to see how anything is out of place. Some people really need to get a grip.

Hope it all works out for you OP and enjoy the new ride when it comes!

He says next week we have to take the next step and send certified letters so that they can't keep ignoring this.

Your lawyer said a company can't ignore certified letters? Where did he get his degree from -- a crackerjack box? A certified letter only proves that it was delivered. There is no legal requirement to respond to a certified letter in the same way Tesla had no requirement to respond to his mailed letters, faxes and phone calls.

I am not posting the pictures on here because I really don't want to bash Tesla or give them bad publicity

This makes no sense. All pictures do is provide a form of evidence and lend credibility to your allegations. It's not bashing Tesla to tell the facts.

As to "bad publicity" you already did that with your post. But if what you say is true, and supported by pictures, then you are not "giving" Tesla bad publicity, rather they have earned it.

The only way you are helping Tesla by not posting pictures is by making us think it's not really as bad as you say it is -- and that does help Tesla because that's the only conclusion I can draw by your reluctance to post pictures as practically everyone else does who complains about problems on delivery.

I have also explained numerous times why pictures here wouldn't really do me any good.

I only saw the one explanation and I still do not understand it.

Hopefully it gets resolved in a fair manner but if you really want to make Tesla better, and help others who may have the same problem, please post the pictures.

First of all I would like to thank @JonMc and his team for for getting involved in my situation and getting this issue resolved for me in only a few days. Also thank you to the members on this forum who have been helpful and helped me get in touch with him. They have told me that they are taking my existing car back and reimbursing me for everything and making it as if that purchase never happened. They have also ordered me a new car and are currently working on time frame to get it to me as soon as possible. Thanks again and I look forward to finally getting my car.

First of all I would like to thank @JonMc and his team for for getting involved in my situation and getting this issue resolved for me in only a few days. Also thank you to the members on this forum who have been helpful and helped me get in touch with him. They have told me that they are taking my existing car back and reimbursing me for everything and making it as if that purchase never happened. They have also ordered me a new car and are currently working on time frame to get it to me as soon as possible. Thanks again and I look forward to finally getting my car.
Of course it should never have come to this in the first place, but good to see faith in Tesla restored.

Nice example of what TMC can do.

I'm glad to hear this! My delivery experience was also problematic and my issues weren't resolved until I posted here and got some good advice and help.

Post your problems here, good people are reading and willing to help.
Be patient, Tesla screws up sometimes but usually makes up for it.
Ignore the predictable trolls. I was also accused of ridiculous motives. I found it mildly amusing and felt a bit sorry for them.
After everything is resolved and you own the car for a while, it'll just be a story you tell about something that happened back then. Driving the car is remarkable every day. :D

• Helpful
@JonMc is the man, had an issue with mine and he quickly got his team involved and they are trying to work out a way to get my problem resolved.

Glad your situation worked out. Cant wait to see your car.

I am in Marketing and handle some big clients and the biggest thing that makes difference from good reputation and bad is how the company handles the situation after the fact. Clients always remember the outcome not how things started. This is where Tesla is stepping it up I feel like.

the good is that tesla has taken the steps to make you happy, many people have had issues with tesla and the bad is some of the many hoops that seem to be needed to be pass through to get to a fair resolution of the issues. sometimes the customer support at the local levels leaves a lot to be desired.
I've had a couple of issues with my first tesla and have learned that a lot of persistence and patience need to be employed to get things resolved. Glad to see things are working out.

Sounds like they had the OP pay in June and it would count as a Q2 sale, even if delivered in July.
If it's not counted in deliveries, the full amount is counted in 'Customer deposits' which is also a closely watched number. I think it has a bigger benefit there.
Holding back delivery of a few hundred of the most expensive cars has the least impact on delivery count, but a big impact on the customer deposit number.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
A few days after they called me and informed me that they just realized that my car had already been registered and she told me they could no longer take it back. I told her that they registered it in late June when I ordered it (no idea how she nor any of the managers at the service center didn’t know that if that is their process for new car delivery) and that the right thing to do is for them to figure out how to get me a new car because that is what I paid for but if I have absolutely no choice but to keep this one they have to give me a discount on the car.

Another victim of Tesla's quarterly demand lever games (paperwork etc. during the previous quarter to make it count...)... Sorry about your situation.

And yes, unfortunately also another victim of Tesla's terrible bureaucracy.

Glad to see a solution is finally forthcoming.

p.s. What is even odder are these constant stories of Tesla's SC's doing terrible detailing on the cars. There are so many stories of spray bottles and dry cloths at delivery centers scratching brand new paint on TMC... Why don't they just, well, not touch them if they can't do better?