Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D for Sale Now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt you'll regret getting the bigger battery but you might regret not getting it.

Basically, if I could get any configuration I wanted it would be $10k less than what I'm getting now.

Good point! If I'm thinking about it now, I imagine I'll be kicking myself later for sure.

Just talked to my DS and got it changed to P100DL. I could have also done without the L, but the huge bump in range is hard to pass up!

Been a crazy 24 hours. Just confirmed my order, due at midnight, originally placed last Wednesday. I was in limbo since the P100DL was announced during my confirmation period and I still had the old configurator.

Finally decided on a new config P90D (which includes the new ventilated seats). If I had stuck with my original P90DL order (which no longer exists) I would get ludicrous, but would only get the next gen seats. I don't need the extra speed--I really like those premium seats after test driving a Model X! The P100DL, at a $20K premium, I didn't feel was worth it...

Can't wait for my new Model S!

So, If I ordered a car let's say a week ago with the next gen seats with a delivery of Feb of next year, I would get next gen seats and not the premium seats? I guess the only way around this is to cancel my order and start over? I assume that I would be able to apply the $2500 to the new config without losing since my car isn't even in production yet?

I emailed my DS, she replied, but totally avoided my main question which was, "Since next gen seats are no longer an option in the P config, will I be automatically upgraded to the premium seats?".

Last edited:
So, If I ordered a car let's say a week ago with the next gen seats with a delivery of Feb of next year, I would get next gen seats and not the premium seats? I guess the only way around this is to cancel my order and start over? I assume that I would be able to apply the $2500 to the new config without losing since my car isn't even in production yet?

I emailed my DS, she replied, but totally avoided my main question which was, "Since next gen seats are no longer an option in the P config, will I be automatically upgraded to the premium seats?".

Your DS should be able to email HQ to get your order modified to the new config so you can get the new seats. You just can't get a P90DL with new seats. It will have to be P90D or P100DL with new pricing. I know it sounds stupid but that's the story I was given, something to do with manufacturing new vs old configs. I decided the new seats were worth it.

Your DS should be able to email HQ to get your order modified to the new config so you can get the new seats. You just can't get a P90DL with new seats. It will have to be P90D or P100DL with new pricing. I know it sounds stupid but that's the story I was given, something to do with manufacturing new vs old configs. I decided the new seats were worth it.

I'm right there with you, I feel that the new seats are worth it as well.

Reactions: Model S M.D.
Any comments from the regulars here on the lack of chemistry upgrades since 2012, apart from the 85>90? And has this 90 now redeemed itself? Initially it was a let down, right?

Li-ion batteries have a wide array of variables to consider with any change. Everybody and their brother has announced chemistry breakthroughs, but none of the major breakthroughs panned out. There are some chemistries that get better energy density than the cells Tesla uses, but the downside is they have short lifespans. I don't think you want a 150 KWh pack that will fail after 50 charges.

It also can cost a fair bit of money to switch chemistries. In some instances a little tweak can be made that requires only minor changes to the production line, but other changes may require a complete retooling.

The 85-90 chemistry change was driven by the Model X and it's need for a bigger battery. I suspect they have shelved the next chemistry change for the switch to the Gigafactory produced cells. They need to set up all new production lines anyway, so they might as well go with the most advanced viable chemistry possible.

That could mean that the battery packs for the Model S and X could make a big jump in capacity when they start selling packs with the 21700 cells. It's estimated the density will go up by about 30% from more efficient geometry of the cells alone. If combined with a boost in chemistry too, the improvement could be as much as 50%. I suspect Tesla will want to get the new cells into the S and X before the M3 goes into production to make sure the new cells work properly and to fix any issues that come up with the new pack and new cells.

The M3 pack will be different, but it will probably share module design with an upgraded S/X pack for ease of production.

Reactions: Snerruc
Sent an email to tesla asking if the 20k price for the upgrade was the same for both ludicrous and non ludicrous P90D's

Received a reply saying I was added to the list of customers interested in upgrading... I laughed

My OA called me and said I needed to reach out to HQ and they basically kicked it back to my local team. lol

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 8.19.38 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 8.19.38 PM.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 60
Everybody and their brother has announced chemistry breakthroughs, but none of the major breakthroughs panned out.

I suspect they have shelved the next chemistry change for the switch to the Gigafactory produced cells.

It's estimated the density will go up by about 30% from more efficient geometry of the cells alone.
So you basically agree that the promised advancement of battery tech just didn't pan out so far?

On the 2nd point, that does seem plausible. They may have something awesome lined up, but needing scale to keep the costs in check.

On the 30% more efficient geometry I'd like to see a link :)
I've seen people doing the math (then still on 20x70mm vs 18x65mm, not 21x70 they seem to have landed on) where on paper the new cell takes up nearly 33% more space. But the relationship of the can to the contents changed (likely making the can as big as it can hold with the alloy sheet material in use now) only improved such that there is only 10% more energy per cm³.
If their new cooling solution takes up less space and allows 11% more of the 18650's to be crammed in an S/X pack (hoping this is achieved without changing orientation of the cells) also translates to the new 21-70 cells (you'd think it was even developed especially for 21-70), indeed a substantial update may be possible when those cells come out of GF1.
All potential gains combined from 100kWh pack we get "now":
+10% for switch to 21-70 cells (and resulting 110 pack would be lighter, a bit)
+7.7% in 100 pack has cells upright. And it's been reported 21-70 would fit upright as well
+? An overdue chemistry update, potentially making up for years of disappointing progress.

And while you want to keep things simple as possible, should Tesla merely decide a bigger revamp of the S/X cars and pack, they surely could make it bigger, one way or the other. Thicker seems relatively easy.
When Model S was designed, I suppose the pack didn't need to be larger, as the cells to fill it would cost an amount beyond the type of car they were building. Now that costs are falling thanks to scale, biggerpack can be made and found buyers for. A pack should not get in the way of the rest of the car, but surely a few cm can be added, even if that starts affecting air drag. I don't expect them to do any of this, though. In their place, I would seriously consider a limo version of the S. A foot longer wheelbase, bit taller, lots extra battery space. A significant car the competition would not be able to build. Increasing the battery, it remains a big part of the production cost, especially for others. It's then time for Mercedes and the like to say that so much range is not needed :)

So you basically agree that the promised advancement of battery tech just didn't pan out so far?

Essentially. Though Elon did say at some point that battery improvement is not a smooth curve. If you stand back and look at a long term trend it's around 6% a year, but it's in fits and starts.

On the 2nd point, that does seem plausible. They may have something awesome lined up, but needing scale to keep the costs in check.

On the 30% more efficient geometry I'd like to see a link :)

Predictions for new battery | Tesla Motors

From July 2014:
Tesla Conference Call:
25:23 Journalist: On the Gigafactory, is the chemistry going to be the same battery chemistry that you're currently using or is that part of the discussions that are going on with Panasonic?
25:34 Elon Musk: There are improvements to the chemistry, as well as improvements to the geometry of the cell. So we would expect to see an energy density improvement and of course a significant cost improvement. JB, do you want to add anything?
25:53 JB Straubel: Yeah, that's right. The cathode and anode materials themselves are next generation. We're seeing improvements in the maybe 10% to 15% range on the chemistry itself.
26:09 Elon Musk:Yeah, in terms of energy density.
26:09 JB Straubel: Energy density. And then we're also customizing the cell shape and size to further improve the cost efficiency of the cell and our packaging efficiency.
26:22 Elon Musk: Right. We've done a lot of modeling trying to figure out what's the optimal cell size. And it's really not much. It's not a lot different from where we are right now but we're sort of in the roughly 10% more diameter, maybe 10% more height. But then the cubic function effectively ends up being just from a geometry standpoint probably a third more energy for the cell or maybe 30%. And then the actual energy density per unit mass increases.
27:09 JB Straubel: Yeah. Fundamentally the chemistry of what's inside is what really defines the cost position. It's often debated what shape and size, but at this point we're developing basically what we feel is the optimum shape and size for the best cost efficiency for an automotive cell.
27:25 Elon Musk:Yeah.
27:28 Journalist: The chemical formula will be the same, it's just shaped differently or?
27:32 Elon Musk: No.
27:32 JB Straubel:No.
27:35 Journalist: Is it a different formula?
27:37 Elon Musk: Yeah.

They mention 30%, but it's unclear if that's the actual improvement. Further down on the 24 Oct 2014 bit they talk about 10-15% better GF cells.

I've seen people doing the math (then still on 20x70mm vs 18x65mm, not 21x70 they seem to have landed on) where on paper the new cell takes up nearly 33% more space. But the relationship of the can to the contents changed (likely making the can as big as it can hold with the alloy sheet material in use now) only improved such that there is only 10% more energy per cm³.

I knew something was wrong, but had a brain fart.

If their new cooling solution takes up less space and allows 11% more of the 18650's to be crammed in an S/X pack (hoping this is achieved without changing orientation of the cells) also translates to the new 21-70 cells (you'd think it was even developed especially for 21-70), indeed a substantial update may be possible when those cells come out of GF1.

It's possible.

All potential gains combined from 100kWh pack we get "now":
+10% for switch to 21-70 cells (and resulting 110 pack would be lighter, a bit)

I expect the pack with the new cell geometry will also come with chemistry improvements which will yield more than 10% per cell, but the pack with the larger cells will probably have fewer cells per pack.

+7.7% in 100 pack has cells upright. And it's been reported 21-70 would fit upright as well
+? An overdue chemistry update, potentially making up for years of disappointing progress.

And while you want to keep things simple as possible, should Tesla merely decide a bigger revamp of the S/X cars and pack, they surely could make it bigger, one way or the other. Thicker seems relatively easy.
When Model S was designed, I suppose the pack didn't need to be larger, as the cells to fill it would cost an amount beyond the type of car they were building. Now that costs are falling thanks to scale, biggerpack can be made and found buyers for. A pack should not get in the way of the rest of the car, but surely a few cm can be added, even if that starts affecting air drag. I don't expect them to do any of this, though. In their place, I would seriously consider a limo version of the S. A foot longer wheelbase, bit taller, lots extra battery space. A significant car the competition would not be able to build. Increasing the battery, it remains a big part of the production cost, especially for others. It's then time for Mercedes and the like to say that so much range is not needed :)

Tesla is going to have to do something to distinguish the S from the 3. The S will have some features the 3 won't, most obviously the hatchback, but to further distinguish them they might give the S/X a much larger battery pack. That will also help relive congestion at superchargers. When the S/X gets to a point where the real world range is as far as people typically drive in a day, then the emphasis shifts to destination charging and S/X travelers won't be using superchargers.

Of course way fewer cells will fit in a the pack when each is (21x21x70)/(18x18x65)-1= 46.5% bigger.
The big unknown for me is the orientation of the cells in the pack and whether indeed the 70mm WILL as loosely reported will still fit inside the S/X pack. That's 5/70=7.7% unused space right here. The 100kWh MAY be exploiting this already through cooling tech making it possible, we don't know. They do say the 100 pack is complex to build...

Last edited:
First you were correct above and the new cells will be 20700 not 21700, and it's quicker for me to do it from memory than use a web ap. If you use a 21 mm (10.5mm radius) cell, you get 46.6%, but it's only 20mm (10mm radius), which yields a ratio of 1.33 or 33%.

First you were correct above and the new cells will be 20700 not 21700, and it's quicker for me to do it from memory than use a web ap. If you use a 21 mm (10.5mm radius) cell, you get 46.6%, but it's only 20mm (10mm radius), which yields a ratio of 1.33 or 33%.
Exactly what I referred to above.

It seems Tesla wanted to go at least 20mm and after testing found they could get away with 21 under the conditions the cells would encounted, so just picked that.
They really made an effort to get the absolute optimum for the cilindrical cell concept.
I can even imagine (pure speculation, but it's what I'd explore) they upgraded the can alloy to withstand higher strains, dissipate heat better, or whatever. It may well be worth the cost impact, more so than previously with 18650. In part due to advancements in alloy development, but also because the can's share of the battery mass is to be decreased as #1 reason for a new format anyway, and this further limits the chance for others to just copy their achievements.