Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D ludicrous vs. insane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ten grand for .2 ths is too high...and I'm a car enthusiast on my third corvette with a model 3 on reservation..

I want awd autonomous mode but I'm not spending ten grand for a quicker car by 2 tenths of a second.

Jmo..

In that neighborhood?

$10k for .2 seconds is dead cheap compared to what ICE cars pay to get a little more speed - stage 4 kits, superchargers with custom tunes, fancy carbon fiber panels to get weight down.

IT's .2 seconds that really don't matter to me, so it wouldn't make sense for me to pay for it - but for folks who are serious about speed, it's an entirely fair price and arguably underpriced compared to ICE competition.

For what it's worth, I have a P90D insane. The car is ridiculously fast as it is, and I have plenty of other things I could spend 10k on. basically if you can afford do burn 100$ bills or you have a desire to be faster than a 911 GT3 RS in a straight line, then go for it. Otherwise it's something 99% of the population doesn't need.

Agree. I ordered my P90D on 30-SEPT-16, without L option. I pictured myself sitting in Washington, D.C. traffic, hitting L mode, and feeling pretty ridiculous sitting still going nowhere in L mode. My wife agreed, so it looks like I'm a Mama's boy with a little more cash left in the hot pocket.

By default, the inventory P100Ds do not come with L, EAP or FSD. You have to ask to add them and they "create a ticket" to do it for you. The guy that helped me with my inventory car implied you could do the same "ticket" intervention with a car you order for them to remove L. So there may be options for people who do not want L when ordering a car, but it probably requires finding a knowledgable person to assist you and not just hoping you'll get asked about it.

By default, the inventory P100Ds do not come with L, EAP or FSD. You have to ask to add them and they "create a ticket" to do it for you. The guy that helped me with my inventory car implied you could do the same "ticket" intervention with a car you order for them to remove L. So there may be options for people who do not want L when ordering a car, but it probably requires finding a knowledgable person to assist you and not just hoping you'll get asked about it.

Sorry, what is "EAP" and "FSD"?

I went from an 85D to a P100DL...not sure I could go back to a non P car...

From a dollars and cents perspective it's definitely completely irrational and ludicrous but also so addicting!

On a side note, I had a P85D Insane loaner recently, and I noticed the biggest difference in highway passing acceleration. The accleration from 0-30 seemed pretty similar by my butt dyno...