Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D vs 100D - $37K?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to my local delivery rep, I can pay $500 to change the order to a 100D, the differences being:
1. I would no longer be eligible for free, unlimited supercharging.

2. My vehicle would not be built with ventilated seats.

3. Estimated delivery would likely be late March (compared to late February-March).

4. My car would be super super slow. ;)

So, I would apparently lose my place in line, but late March isn't the end of the world.

LOL.. Yeah.. My 90D is super slow... Not. I think you made a wise decision and will get the same range and save $36K.

Reactions: pilotSteve
With this in mind...I'll certainly only order a M3100_ when my reservation hits...
I'll have one quick car and one inexpexpensive car....
After a year of driving it, I still can't get over the acceleration of the P90D off the line and passing in traffic...
The P100D must be awesome...

Reactions: bigez1
You always pay a premium for P and L and the original development cost of the 100kWh battery pack. The L alone is $10k. Whether it's worth it is in the eyes of the beholder. Did you really think the 100D would have costed closer to a p100dl than a 90d?

According to my local delivery rep, I can pay $500 to change the order to a 100D, the differences being:

3. Estimated delivery would likely be late March (compared to late February-March).

So, I would apparently lose my place in line, but late March isn't the end of the world.

Don't let the "unlimited free supercharging" fool you. For $37k ($36.5k after change fee), you can practically pay for all the SC use for a lifetime. The main question for you is how much the "P" is worth. I believe the P has dual motors in the back (or is that the ludicrous only), so it effectively means you can put out more torque. This is similar to "AMG" for MB (especially years ago when it was a separate company, and you could pay $$$ just to upgrade engine and not get any other body/interior), or the "M" for BMW. If you want the power or status, sure get the P. If you really only want range, for sure go 100D.

Also consider in extreme cold and really bad traffic, your range will drop really bad (even half). The 100D has by far the best range, and you may even avoid needing SC

Don't let the "unlimited free supercharging" fool you. For $37k ($36.5k after change fee), you can practically pay for all the SC use for a lifetime. The main question for you is how much the "P" is worth. I believe the P has dual motors in the back (or is that the ludicrous only), so it effectively means you can put out more torque. This is similar to "AMG" for MB (especially years ago when it was a separate company, and you could pay $$$ just to upgrade engine and not get any other body/interior), or the "M" for BMW. If you want the power or status, sure get the P. If you really only want range, for sure go 100D.

Also consider in extreme cold and really bad traffic, your range will drop really bad (even half). The 100D has by far the best range, and you may even avoid needing SC

P is for performance models and the P models all have dual motors with the D at the end of the name (exceptions: P85 and P85+ rwd models).

The L is for the ludicrous mode software and a Smartfuse. Non-performance dual motor models begin with a number and ends with a D.

Range for the X between the P100D and 100D is 6 miles, so not a drastic difference. A quicker 2-secs 0-60 difference for $37K is what you're paying for.

I switched today from P100D to 100D because of insurability reasons in my province. It will cost me $3K more this year to insure a P100D vs 100D and next year maybe $10K more. I would have kept the free supercharging and P100D if the insurance between the 2 models were the same.

$37K and $3K more for insurance pays for alot of Supercharging.

Last edited:
Like others have said, it all depends on what your personal preferences are.

P100D at 2.8 0-60 vs 100D at 4.8. That's a huge performance difference (40% improvement). I didn't do the research but a base Corvette vs a ZO6 etc.

Those who have modified cars before, think about the price to drop 1.9 seconds.

To drop 1.9s on ICE is hard and costs a lot sure, but on a Tesla it's different. All they did was put a bigger motor on the rear and added the superfuse.

Exactly. Bigger motor. Just like going from say a Mercedes E400 to an E550. V6 to V8. Bigger motor costs more.

And of course, most manufacturers make larger margins on their premium optioned vehicles.

Different options for different people.

Paying the $500 + $3k and losing your place in line and loss of free supercharging is still absolutely worth doing. Although you haven't even gotten the car yet, down the road ('way down the road?) the 100D will have a little better resale than the 90D and you will recoup your upcharge.

I still can't get off 330 rated miles on that 100D. So a daily charge of 90% is still going to be pushing 300mi? That's awesome.

Heck, with that much range you might need supercharging, just home and destination charging!

I think it's worth it to save the cash and change, but I don't necessarily think you should lose the free Supercharging. I might escalate it and see if they will bend on that.

If you don't care about crazy zero to sixty times, then definitely cancel and get the hundred D and save over thirty thousand dollars.

100D for a $37k discount over the P100DL is a bargain. Normally the P and D cost $20k + 10k. I had expected the 90D to 100D price difference to be $10k, and the 100D to P100DL to be $30k. I'm thinking maybe the P100DL price will come down a smudge, and the 100D goes up slightly, but who knows.

Ha ha :) I have a P90DL and just yesterday drove it in 90D mode to see if I liked it. I was still very quick but something important had changed: Superman had kryptonite nearby. As fast as my past BMWs but no longer a superhero.