Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100DL at the drag strip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At this point, I don’t think I’ll ever beat a 10.83. Anything I’m not thinking of here or is the only thing left to do is remove weight?
And how did some pull 10.5’s around 125 that are posted on dragtimes.com and on YouTube? That 5mph higher trap speed is HUGE

Yup cutting weight is the only option. Others have installed drag radials ect. Only to loose trap speed. Everything that we learned over the yeas racing ICE vehicles does not apply with electric. I would be interested to see if someone comes up with a cover for the front to reduce drag. That should help allot

Reactions: SBDPlaid
So with that famous Motor Trend P100D that ran the 10.5 @125, what gives??!
I know that track prep at least at Sacramento Raceway is poor at best so maybe that contributed to not so stellar times in my P100D shown above.

I plan to visit Sonoma Raceway as they seems far more professional, and I'll assume that they take care of their track much better than Sacramento Raceway!

Track prep is usually good here (Bradenton, FL) and I had zero wheel spin so traction wasn’t an issue. Given that, I can’t see how the Motor Trend car pulled those kind of numbers. Was Tesla known for media cars that had an extra something in them as far as power/torque?
Unless I fully strip out the interior, there’s no way I’m dropping 3-4 tenths and picking up 5mph. My 60 foot was already 1.5x so launch isn’t the issue, it’s acceleration moving down the track
Still, 10’s for a 5,000+ family sedan is crazy!

Reactions: UkrHog
A few people have mentioned launch mode, I've never been able to get that to work, all I get it both pedals pressed warning. What's the trick?
You have to be in Max Battery Power mode, not necessarily with the batteries heated up all the way, but in the mode. Activate Ludicrous Plus (the Star Wars looking thing pops up on the screen and then asks if you’re ready and hit the “Yes bring it on”) and then even while the batteries are heating (not yet fully in LP mode) you can use launch control. Left foot hard on the brake and quickly fully depress the go pedal, “Launch Mode Enabled” shows on the dash, then push down the go pedal and hold (your left foot should have been hard on the brake the whole time) with your right foot, you’ll feel and hear the car getting ready; once you let off the brake (keep the go pedal floored) the car will launch like a bat out of hell! Keep in mind once launch mode is enabled, you only have about 5 secs to use it before it cancels out

Reactions: P100D_Me
Yeah I'm all good on the Lud+ mode, but is there also the Max Battery Power mode to enable as well or is that automatically enabled after you do the star wars animation for L+ ?
Automatically enabled; basically max battery power is Ludicrous Plus once the batteries fully heat to the 50C, but up until then you can use Launch Mode
Your issue may be holding on the go pedal to much, it’s literally a quick tap down to the floor then letting off
Honestly that whole thing is a bit confusing and took me a while in the beginning to get it all straight on L, L+, battery heating but not L+, when Launch Mode could be used, etc

• Informative
Reactions: P100D_Me