Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3 Costa Mesa Delivery - Admirable effort, considering the challenges.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're saying that the Costa Mesa delivery center delivers 10% of all Teslas produced? I would think with the Bay Area centers, Marina Del Rey and other California delivery centers, maybe CA combined you'd get to 1/3 to 1/2 of all deliveries given Canada and the rest of the US are also getting deliveries. I find it hard to believe that Costa Mesa is delivering 500-600 of the 5,000-6,000 Teslas produced each week.

It’s not 100 per day every single day. Probably both weekend days and maybe half that on weekdays. It only takes 2 weeks at these levels to match dealer output for a year.

Does the rules allow for that if the motors are different?

Not 100 percent sure but my belief is that the VIN ‘system’ doesn’t have regulations down to this level and leave it up to the manufacturer to define for themselves what A means or B means.

If I think I’m getter to what you are getting at - my belief is the motors are the same between AWD and P.

It’s a software toggle that throttles that 1 second difference.

Not 100 percent sure but my belief is that the VIN ‘system’ doesn’t have regulations down to this level and leave it up to the manufacturer to define for themselves what A means or B means.

If I think I’m getter to what you are getting at - my belief is the motors are the same between AWD and P.

It’s a software toggle that throttles that 1 second difference.

MX do the 3s have a pack number you can look at up front ? Curious if the Ps have different pack ...ie better fuses etc for the higher output ...thanks

Reactions: MXWing
MX do the 3s have a pack number you can look at up front ? Curious if the Ps have different pack ...ie better fuses etc for the higher output ...thanks

Will check when I can to see if it’s accessible but my theory is going to be no.

Reasoning is that if Tesla wants to mass produce, it’s better to overspec parts and software limit than spend time sorting.

Open to evidence either way.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Will check when I can to see if it’s accessible but my theory is going to be no.

Reasoning is that if Tesla wants to mass produce, it’s better to overspec parts and software limit than spend time sorting.

Open to evidence either way.

Was thinking same which is why it makes sense that Tesla charges ~10k for software ;)..and the P3 has the highest margin of all Tesla’s :oops:

Reactions: MXWing
Was thinking same which is why it makes sense that Tesla charges ~10k for software ;)..and the P3 has the highest margin of all Tesla’s :oops:

Yeah... if I had one gripe I do not see the perceived value return for the 5K option package.

In my excitement I checked all boxes without comprehensive analysis when the configarator opened up.

I would have added a Tesla oil change kit if it was avaliable at the time.

It’s not to bad if u consider : spoiler ~$1k , bigger breaks 1-1.5k, rims $2k ...and who knows Tesla probably only gives track mode to perf package owners lol ;):(

Not confirmed on track mode - would make sense. I can see aero owners being upset because it wasn’t clearly defined.

Rims didn’t have a black option. Less range on 20’s, more expensive tire replacement costs.

Same performance.

I usually am satisfied with my decisions and this was a hard one.

Since I do plan on keeping the car for a long time, the $5,000 cost gets diffused so makes the decision more palatable.

Not confirmed on track mode - would make sense. I can see aero owners being upset because it wasn’t clearly defined.

Rims didn’t have a black option. Less range on 20’s, more expensive tire replacement costs.

Same performance.

I usually am satisfied with my decisions and this was a hard one.

Since I do plan on keeping the car for a long time, the $5,000 cost gets diffused so makes the decision more palatable.
I called with some questions the other day. One question I asked was about track mode for the performance without performance upgrades. The phone answer assured me vehemently that all performance model 3s with or without performance upgrades would get track mode when it is released. I have very little confidence in this statement, but the phone rep had a lot of confidence.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl and P85_DA
In preparation for delivery of two Model 3s for my family, I checked the paint depths of three Model 3s and consistently received the following depths on my cheapie $20 Amazon paint meter:

Doors and hood (aluminum): 5-6 mil
All other panels (steel): 1-2 mil

The Model S and X were 5-6 mil throughout. I wonder why paint on steel panels are thinner than paint on aluminum panels?

My plan is to reject delivery if the car has been repainted or if a paint defect requires repaint to correct. I can accept delivery if any paint defects are correctable w/ detailing.

So after doing further research on the cheap $20 paint meter, I learned that it does not accurately measure steel due to it’s magnetic properties. The meter also read 1-2 mil on my Porsche 911, and I know the paint on that car is much thicker since I’ve had it measured by a detailer w/ a much better paint meter. I’m guessing that the Model 3 paint is 5-6 mil on all panels.

I called with some questions the other day. One question I asked was about track mode for the performance without performance upgrades. The phone answer assured me vehemently that all performance model 3s with or without performance upgrades would get track mode when it is released. I have very little confidence in this statement, but the phone rep had a lot of confidence.

Thank you for clarifying this. I'm on the fence about upgrading AWD to P-AWD without performance package.

If track mode is important to you I’d wait until track mode rolls out first. Just like anything with Tesla, only believe it when it’s materialized.

Correct. If it was absolutely crucial though, I would go with the Performance Option as Tesla can say - we were counting on bigger brakes, bigger tires. Or wait.. as you suggest.

I don't doubt Tesla will release.. its not vaporware. Just WHAT trim/option has it is questionable.

Reactions: P85_DA