TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

P3 Costa Mesa Delivery - Admirable effort, considering the challenges.

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by MXWing, Aug 3, 2018.

1. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

It’s not 100 per day every single day. Probably both weekend days and maybe half that on weekdays. It only takes 2 weeks at these levels to match dealer output for a year.

2. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

As an aside is the 8th character of your VIN a B?

3. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Yes. That is same for both P and AWD

4. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

Does the rules allow for that if the motors are different?

5. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Not 100 percent sure but my belief is that the VIN ‘system’ doesn’t have regulations down to this level and leave it up to the manufacturer to define for themselves what A means or B means.

If I think I’m getter to what you are getting at - my belief is the motors are the same between AWD and P.

It’s a software toggle that throttles that 1 second difference.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  6. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

MX do the 3s have a pack number you can look at up front ? Curious if the Ps have different pack ...ie better fuses etc for the higher output ...thanks

• Like x 1
  7. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Will check when I can to see if it’s accessible but my theory is going to be no.

Reasoning is that if Tesla wants to mass produce, it’s better to overspec parts and software limit than spend time sorting.

Open to evidence either way.

• Love x 1
  8. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Was thinking same which is why it makes sense that Tesla charges ~10k for software ;)..and the P3 has the highest margin of all Tesla’s :oops:

• Like x 1
  9. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Yeah... if I had one gripe I do not see the perceived value return for the 5K option package.

In my excitement I checked all boxes without comprehensive analysis when the configarator opened up.

I would have added a Tesla oil change kit if it was avaliable at the time.

• Funny x 3
  10. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

It’s not to bad if u consider : spoiler ~$1k , bigger breaks 1-1.5k, rims $2k ...and who knows Tesla probably only gives track mode to perf package owners lol ;):(

• Like x 1
  11. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Not confirmed on track mode - would make sense. I can see aero owners being upset because it wasn’t clearly defined.

Rims didn’t have a black option. Less range on 20’s, more expensive tire replacement costs.

Same performance.

I usually am satisfied with my decisions and this was a hard one.

Since I do plan on keeping the car for a long time, the $5,000 cost gets diffused so makes the decision more palatable.

12. rluciano

rluciano Member

I called with some questions the other day. One question I asked was about track mode for the performance without performance upgrades. The phone answer assured me vehemently that all performance model 3s with or without performance upgrades would get track mode when it is released. I have very little confidence in this statement, but the phone rep had a lot of confidence.

• Informative x 2
  13. EricUSC

EricUSC Member

So after doing further research on the cheap $20 paint meter, I learned that it does not accurately measure steel due to it’s magnetic properties. The meter also read 1-2 mil on my Porsche 911, and I know the paint on that car is much thicker since I’ve had it measured by a detailer w/ a much better paint meter. I’m guessing that the Model 3 paint is 5-6 mil on all panels.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  14. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

Thank you for clarifying this. I'm on the fence about upgrading AWD to P-AWD without performance package.

15. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

I honestly think the answer is inconclusive here and no one knows for sure. Even if Elon knows, he could change his mind.

I would have no confidence in anything unless it was at least published.

16. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

I agree it's inconclusive until we see actual reports of it, but I'll take this as a positive sign.

17. outie

outie Active Member

If track mode is important to you I’d wait until track mode rolls out first. Just like anything with Tesla, only believe it when it’s materialized.

• Like x 3
  18. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Correct. If it was absolutely crucial though, I would go with the Performance Option as Tesla can say - we were counting on bigger brakes, bigger tires. Or wait.. as you suggest.

I don't doubt Tesla will release.. its not vaporware. Just WHAT trim/option has it is questionable.

• Like x 1