Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D Add performance checkbox removes on new custom orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, this morning I discovered that the option to remove the “performance hardware” (brakes spoiler tires etc) is no longer an option on the new custom M3 builds. My speculation is that hopefully now to buy a “stealth performance” they are just going to make it an additional software upgrade from the LR AWD similar time the boost that is available right now. I don’t see any other reason why this checkbox would now be removed and fingers crossed this is the reason!

Reactions: ra88it
Man...Tesla is sooo schizophrenic. A base Performance (aka Stealth) is either just “off menu” now or no longer available. The fact that they haven’t done this for Model Y is peculiar but not really surprising given all the flip-flops over the years.

Let the speculation begin!

My speculation is that hopefully now to buy a “stealth performance” they are just going to make it an additional software upgrade from the LR AWD similar time the boost that is available right now.

That would be an expensive upgrade! Though i do like the idea of making more options available to upgrade in general. My random speculation is that they are going to release a more legit performance package for the performance car (maybe a track package) with the new track pack items and possibly ludicrous mode for ~10K more. Just a total guess but hey it's fun to speculate :)

Definitely weird that Model Y hasn't followed suit with this change.

Hello everyone, this morning I discovered that the option to remove the “performance hardware” (brakes spoiler tires etc) is no longer an option on the new custom M3 builds. My speculation is that hopefully now to buy a “stealth performance” they are just going to make it an additional software upgrade from the LR AWD similar time the boost that is available right now. I don’t see any other reason why this checkbox would now be removed and fingers crossed this is the reason!

Since early/mid 2019 the LR AWD and the P3D- have had a different rear drive unit from each other, so I find that speculation unlikely.

(unless they are abandoning the lesser 990 drive unit and switching the LR AWD back to the 980 I guess, which would be pretty weird)

Since early/mid 2019 the LR AWD and the P3D- have had a different rear drive unit from each other, so I find that speculation unlikely.

(unless they are abandoning the lesser 990 drive unit and switching the LR AWD back to the 980 I guess, which would be pretty weird)

Not that I doubt you, but is there any hard data to support the 990 being a 'lesser' drive unit? I read a couple of the bigger threads, but saw mostly speculation and educated guesses. I have seen the different pics and the comparisons and specs thrown about. But
has there been an official tear down and test to support this? It's interesting either way. It's tough to find info on this in general.

Not that I doubt you, but is there any hard data to support the 990 being a 'lesser' drive unit? I read a couple of the bigger threads, but saw mostly speculation and educated guesses. I have seen the different pics and the comparisons and specs thrown about. But
has there been an official tear down and test to support this? It's interesting either way. It's tough to find info on this in general.

It's pretty straightforward reasoning based on a bunch of known/documented facts:

All Ps ever made use the 980

The only car the 990 has ever appeared in is the non-P LR AWD (starting in early/mid 2019 depending on area)

So there's 2 axis of difference to consider- cost, and performance capability.

Consider if you can find a way to disagree with any of these individual observations:

1) We know the 990 is either same or lesser performance- because if it were greater it would be in the P. Yes?

2) We know the 990 is cheaper- because if 1 is true (it's not HIGHER performance) and it were equal or more expensive in cost, why would it exist at all?

From 1 and 2 combined we know the 990 is less capable. Because if was cheaper and EQUALLY capable they'd use it everywhere, not just only in the LR AWD.

Thus we can conclude the 990 is both cheaper, and less capable.

Because nothing else fits all the facts we actually know.

(FWIW I think we did see a 990 teardown, though it was just a few pics showing the insides, not detailed analysis/testing- and it was visiblly/physically different... which I mean why else would it be a different PN right?)

Europe model 3 never had stealth option. I think it's just dropped for operational cost down and the fact that standard brakes are too small for P power.

that's a nonsensical statement.

When you move your foot from the accelerator to the brake pedal, the "power" of the car is irrelevant.

You're no longer accelerating.

The idea a "more powerful" car needs "bigger brakes" in street use has no basis in reality (or physics)

The only place bigger brakes do anything for you is a race track, and only for repeated high-speed braking over and over with no chance to cool anything down. And even then they never stop you shorter they just endure more of those repeated stops before they stop you longer. And this is irrelevant in street use (I suppose outside evading police pursuit on the autobahn maybe?)

Yeah there's been a few times when anxiety set in under hard braking on my P3- ... no bueno.

And yet- in normal use they stop the car in exactly the same distance as the largest, most expensive, brakes you can put on the vehicle.

The brakes don't stop the car- the tires do.

The P3D- comes with far far crappier tires than the P3D+

Swap PS4s tires on your P3D- and you'll knock ~30 feet off your braking distance 60-0 (mph).

Swap P+ brakes on and your braking distance will change by 0.

Europe model 3 never had stealth option. I think it's just dropped for operational cost down and the fact that standard brakes are too small for P power.

Yeah there's been a few times when anxiety set in under hard braking on my P3- ... no bueno.

While brakes obviously are part of the system stopping the car, isn't the determination of stoppage distance more about the tires?

edit: Knightshade beat me to it with a much more better response

1) We know the 990 is either same or lesser performance- because if it were greater it would be in the P. Yes?
Maybe, maybe not. Maybe the 980 has the headroom needed to take the P3D to the level Tesla wants to. Maybe they both have enough headroom that it didn't matter which was used.
2) We know the 990 is cheaper- because if 1 is true (it's not HIGHER performance) and it were equal or more expensive in cost, why would it exist at all?

That's the million dollar question. If it were simply a cost reduction move, why not do it to both motors? Front and rear? According to threads here, the front motor is where most of half a second reduction in 0 60 came from. Seems like a lot of leeway to leave on the table for the bean counters to pass over.

Let's say it is cheaper. Cheaper does not necessarily mean it has to be lower performance, or even the same performance. It could be higher and be cheaper. We don't know.

Also, if the MY threads are accurate, why wasn't the 990 or another variant used in the non-P Y? It's about half-second slower than the AWD 3. Seems like a good enough opportunity to further save on cost. Why look at just one model in one product line?

Then, we have the fact that more than a few rear DUs have failed on the 3 (even though it's fairly rare overall). Could the 990 changes be the result of this? Which then begs the obvious question: Why is the 980 still being used? Still a large inventory? Overproduction? And it's easier to use them in vehicles already configured for them for the time being? Are they using a phased-in approach to the 990 so in case there's a flaw, it doesn't affect all their cars?

How much headroom does the 990 really have?

IMO, too many unanswered questions to draw any concrete conclusions. Objective testing and data are needed to be certain. Ultimately, it may simply be a cost-reduction move and nothing more.

Last edited: