Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ Brakes make noise at a full stop when depressing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What’s your technique?

I do 6-8 back-to-back medium braking events from around 60 to around 30 to warm the brakes up. Then do 8-10 hard braking events from 60 to 10-15 mph to get them really hot. At this point I can smell the brakes if I slow down to a near stop, even with the windows closed. Then drive 15 minutes without stopping and without using the brakes to allow everything to cool off.

Noticed as of a few days ago that the brakes on my P3D+ are making a bit of a metallic settling noise when being used. It sounds similar to how it sounds when a wheel settles on the hub when you're tightening lug nuts. All four wheels are doing it, but the back passenger is the loudest.

It's easy to replicate at a standstill by removing the parking brake (shifting to D), then having a friend depress the brake over and over. It makes less noise in the rear if the parking brake is on, almost like the rotor itself is loose.

Has anybody else seen this before?

After reading this thread, I have to laugh a bit at the OPs original post....

No where in the OP does it say "BTW I took my car to a track day".

Isnt this kind of like asking "I wonder why I have to go to the bathroom all the time? No idea whats up with that?" and neglecting to say that you had a 6 pack shortly before that started...;)

After reading this thread, I have to laugh a bit at the OPs original post....

No where in the OP does it say "BTW I took my car to a track day".

Isnt this kind of like asking "I wonder why I have to go to the bathroom all the time? No idea whats up with that?" and neglecting to say that you had a 6 pack shortly before that started...;)
I do 6-8 back-to-back medium braking events from around 60 to around 30 to warm the brakes up. Then do 8-10 hard braking events from 60 to 10-15 mph to get them really hot. At this point I can smell the brakes if I slow down to a near stop, even with the windows closed. Then drive 15 minutes without stopping and without using the brakes to allow everything to cool off.

I see. I will try your way next time. Right now I do 5 x 40 to 25, 5 x 75 to 60 then cool down for 15min. I don’t think they get hot enough from my bedding process.