Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D horsepower?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you have regen dots when you tested the last update?

Agreed and understood that your car was not very cold. Neither was mine. But I do not think the battery was optimal temperature.

I had regen dots, but no power dots. I don't know whether the absolute maximum power limitation will even show as power dots (because it would be really difficult to notice so they might not bother telling you). But I am hoping this is the reason why my car was such a dog last time - again, I saw the torque increase low down as you may recall, but things really dropped off (and were not any faster than the prior software version) above about 40mph - which contradicted your data (but I believe your data - which showed torque and HP should have been increased relative to the prior update all the way up, even though in general the torque does start to drop off at 40mph for both of the prior software versions).

*with rollout

:p
actually, it does say it on the site. you just have to read the fine html print. when building the performance car on the site, just right click and view-source. it's there in plain html... duh!

{\"description\":\"Performance acceleration ratings are based on maximum battery power mode and follow <a href=\\\"{PERFORMANCE}\\\" target=\\\"LINK_TARGET\\\">Motor Trend's test procedure<\/a> of subtracting the first foot rollout time to represent drag strip performance.\"}

question is, is it a hover-over somewhere we are not seeing? because i don't see it displayed on the site.

Last edited:
actually, it does say it on the site. you just have to read the fine html print. when building the performance car on the site, just right click and view-source. it's there in plain html... duh!

{\"description\":\"Performance acceleration ratings are based on maximum battery power mode and follow <a href=\\\"{PERFORMANCE}\\\" target=\\\"LINK_TARGET\\\">Motor Trend's test procedure<\/a> of subtracting the first foot rollout time to represent drag strip performance.\"}

question is, is it a hover-over somewhere we are not seeing? because i don't see it displayed on the site.
Have to read that fine print!
Another instance on Tesla's site: Your Future Tesla

I have a feeling this still won't be enough to convince @WilliamG though. Haha.

• Funny
Reactions: hoang51

Oh thank the Lord.

what is weird and i guess they just have not updated their site. but it shows a range of 322 when building a LRAWD, and if you look at existing inventory, it already shows 2020 existing, but the LRAWD shows 310 miles. don't think it's a firmware issue, where the existing don't have the latest SW update. anyway, i know that's not a HP discussion, it's a mileage one, but thought i'd mention that their site really leaves something to be desired.

@Nocturnal ....I seeee what you did there. haha....

Hopefully a slight reference to quite a few on here that have zero concept about drag racing or launching a car speaking like they have actual experience. Its funny when snowflakes fancy themselves a race car driver when they are behind the wheel of a vehicle that requires ABSOLUTELY ZERO skill to drive. I'd love to see them try to launch my Viper, or actually comprehend clutch management.

This thread is my favorite of them all.
I drove my buddy's GTS a few times. Bright yellow, gorgeous car but I could not stand the pedals being shifted to the left a bit.

The 3 is certainly extremely easy to drag race.

Reactions: NOLADriver
Any thoughts on why Model 3 is excluded from the PERFORMANCE section? It's clearly not just "old webpage" because Model 3 has its own section under RANGE.

It might actually be old webpage.

Because when the 3 first came out they did not dishonestly use 2 different measurements (despite always doing so on the S/X)

The P was 3.5, the AWD was 4.5. Both not using rollout.

It was a surprisingly honest and refreshing change.

It was months later they defaulted back to dishonesty and changed the P to 3.3 simply by switching to the rollout measurement while leaving the AWD non-rollout 4.5 number posted.

(and then updated them to 3.2 and 4.4 respectively after the first 5% power bump)

So if that page was written during the early days of the 3 launch it makes perfect sense to exclude the 3 in that section.

Have to read that fine print!
Another instance on Tesla's site: Your Future Tesla

I have a feeling this still won't be enough to convince @WilliamG though. Haha.

Doesn’t mention the 3 under Performance, strangely. Again, the issue isn’t that I don’t believe it’s true - I just don’t see it explicitly stated for the average person to see it. Digging into website code etc isn’t exactly transparent.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
I know the community doesn’t like him, but it was discussed the day (ish) it happened Tesla starts advertising quicker 0-60 mph acceleration for Model 3 Performance - Electrek

Hey look! Evidence. Thanks for that. Apparently the other dude just couldn’t provide something like that.

That said...

Tesla Model 3 Performance achieves record 0-60 mph acceleration of 3.13 secs with new wheels & tires - Electrek

No rollout there that I saw. Lighter wheels, but maybe that’s comparable to the Aeros? Again, interesting. And that was before the first 5% power update...

Last edited:
No rollout there.

Yeah, why are you saying this? I can assure you having used a VBOX that the images later in the video of the VBOX app screen display that way if you configure the VBOX to turn on rollout - it just shows the 0-60mph time after subtracting that ~0.3s - just the way it works. You can only figure out the actual 0-60 time in the app by looking at the 0-60 velocity vs. time graph for that run and zooming in (or downloading the detailed data from the SD card presumably). (Or of course turn off 1-foot rollout in the configuration prior to the run.) On the particular screen he is showing at 8:16 you can't see anything about rollout, but I assure you that unless he has dropped 300 pounds from the car, this 3.13s time is a 1-ft rollout time.

I got a 3.17s after the first update and about 3.43s true 0-60mph after the first update, but my car is kind of a dog. Woof.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
Yeah, why are you saying this? I can assure you having used a VBOX that the images later in the video of the VBOX app screen display that way if you configure the VBOX to turn on rollout - it just shows the 0-60mph time after subtracting that ~0.3s - just the way it works. You can only figure out the actual 0-60 time in the app by looking at the 0-60 velocity vs. time graph for that run and zooming in (or downloading the detailed data from the SD card presumably). (Or of course turn off 1-foot rollout in the configuration prior to the run.) On the particular screen he is showing at 8:16 you can't see anything about rollout, but I assure you that unless he has dropped 300 pounds from the car, this 3.13s time is a 1-ft rollout time.

I got a 3.17s after the first update and about 3.46s true 0-60mph after the first update, but my car is kind of a dog. Woof.

That makes perfect sense. Where the hell did this whole rollout thing come from/originate? It’s bloody annoying.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
You're telling me? haha.
On a drag strip cars start 1 foot behind the timing beam.
Well, not necessarily. It depends on where you stage the car. If you shallow stage the car and just flicker on the bottom staging light, you will get the maximum rollout before the timers are triggered, which will provide the quickest ET and MPH by giving you a "rolling start", but this increases the reaction time. So usually when qualifying you shallow stage the car to get a good ET, while sometimes in racing where reaction time is important, you usually roll in quite a ways (or even deep stage the car by taking out the top stage light), in order to improve your reaction time and get to the other end before your opponent. For the purposes of the current thread, it really doesn't matter as long as people compare apples with apples. The information everyone was after was kindly provided by sleeperservice in post # 119. They are quicker after the update, in line with a 5% increase in horsepower. End of story. I really don't understand why the point-scoring has continued after that.

• Informative
Reactions: hydro 481
I had regen dots, but no power dots. I don't know whether the absolute maximum power limitation will even show as power dots (because it would be really difficult to notice so they might not bother telling you). But I am hoping this is the reason why my car was such a dog last time - again, I saw the torque increase low down as you may recall, but things really dropped off (and were not any faster than the prior software version) above about 40mph - which contradicted your data (but I believe your data - which showed torque and HP should have been increased relative to the prior update all the way up, even though in general the torque does start to drop off at 40mph for both of the prior software versions).

It's hard to notice when it's happening. I only noticed the power reduction dots watching a video from some half mile runs I did. Here are a few screen shots from the video. Interestingly even though the pedal is floored the "power bar" doesn't go to 100% until about 35mph but doesn't show any power reduced dots. After about 49mph you can see the bar starts to drop but the car is still floored and no dots are visible. After that it continues to drop and reduced power dots show up but go away as soon as the pedal is lifted and the bar starts back towards the regen side. So it seems the reduced power dots only show as the car is limiting power. Unlike the reduced regen dots that basically warn you that or won't be at full regen. It'd be nice to know that your car is going to reduce power before it actually reduces power.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191106-020702_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20191106-020702_Video Player.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot_20191106-020648_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20191106-020648_Video Player.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20191106-020703_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20191106-020703_Video Player.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20191106-020631_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20191106-020631_Video Player.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20191106-020610_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20191106-020610_Video Player.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: diamond.g
It's hard to notice when it's happening. I only noticed the power reduction dots watching a video from some half mile runs I did. Here are a few screen shots from the video. Interestingly even though the pedal is floored the "power bar" doesn't go to 100% until about 35mph but doesn't show any power reduced dots. After about 49mph you can see the bar starts to drop but the car is still floored and no dots are visible. After that it continues to drop and reduced power dots show up but go away as soon as the pedal is lifted and the bar starts back towards the regen side. So it seems the reduced power dots only show as the car is limiting power. Unlike the reduced regen dots that basically warn you that or won't be at full regen. It'd be nice to know that your car is going to reduce power before it actually reduces power.

Clearly none of you have driven a truly cold-soaked Tesla! When it's actually cold (like when my car sits in the parking lot at work when it is 20F or below all day) the regen is completely gone and 1/2-2/3 of the power bar is gone as well! @AlanSubie4Life I would be willing to bet that your "dog slowness" after 40 mph on the last update was because your battery was a bit cooler than the system wants for full power, but not cool enough to start showing power dots.