Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ owners, do you like to drive in "Sport" or "Comfort" mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love driving in sport mode as it feels more tight and precise but I was shocked to find another sports car enthusiast of mine likes driving it in comfort. I feel like comfort is too loose. My friend says driving in comfort is similar to driving his Mercedes.
I'm sure you've all seen on reddit last week or so that one of Ferrari specialize test driver (for the last 30 years or so) that test drove the P3D+ says he like driving it in comfort mode.

So I'm curious what mode you guys like to drive it in and why.

I wouldn't really call it that.

The steering wheel has adjustable settings, and what mode I use largely depends on what kind of driving I'm doing.

I don't use chill mode, but I could see trying chill mode to see if it fixes smoothness issue with TACC. I believe people have said it doesn't fix it, but I'd have to see for myself.

Always drive it in Chill with Comfort steering. Sport makes the car feel very high strung and is less relaxing to drive. I came from a Mercedes S63 so I suppose its all in your perspective.

Exactly, it can be overly stiff in the first place and comfort balanced it out. If I recall it helped make AutoSteer smoother as well.
I wish the Model 3 had the Dynamic Suspension too, so you could adjust that too.

No, should make zero difference.

It really should have 3 levels like Performance S/X's do.

I used to keep Performance in Chill. But I keep my X in Standard (way faster than Chill, but way less than Sport, which I found borderline dangerous under my toe). There is absolute no reason to have that much access on a routine basic. The standard mode on the X it perfect (about a Hemi SRT Jeep), I don't need track hawk level power on a daily basis.

Sorry I should have clarify. I'm talking specifically about handling mode (comfort, standard, sport) and not about driving mode (chill, sport).

I always drive on sport mode and have my handling on sport. My post above was saying I was shocked how some drivers like the handling in sport as its looser.

I love driving in sport mode as it feels more tight and precise but I was shocked to find another sports car enthusiast of mine likes driving it in comfort. I feel like comfort is too loose. My friend says driving in comfort is similar to driving his Mercedes.
I'm sure you've all seen on reddit last week or so that one of Ferrari specialize test driver (for the last 30 years or so) that test drove the P3D+ says he like driving it in comfort mode.

So I'm curious what mode you guys like to drive it in and why.

Handling mode? Its just steering weight, accomplished by changing the power steering assist boost.

It does not affect steering ratios, pedal maps, suspension or anything like what would be considered a "sport handling mode." Sport literally makes the steering wheel harder to turn, that's it.

Correct. I assumed most people like it in sport mode but I was just shocked to see people like it on comfort as its really loose.

The only bonus of not sport steering mode is that it takes less physical torque to satisfy the AP nag. In sport steering mode you have to torque or shake the wheel fairly hard to avoid the nag.

The sport mode damped steering just feels more precise and controlled. Less likely for bumps or an upset chassis to induce undesired steering input.