Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ owners.. how often do you mash the pedal at stoplights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While not law, but from Wikipedia
"Reckless driving is often defined as a mental state in which the driver displays a wanton disregard for the rules of the road; the driver misjudges common driving procedures, often causing wrecks, accidents and other damages."

Fast starts are big candidates because of the possibility of cross-traffic not stopping in time. It's just a really dangerous activity.

While not law, but from Wikipedia
"Reckless driving is often defined as a mental state in which the driver displays a wanton disregard for the rules of the road; the driver misjudges common driving procedures, often causing wrecks, accidents and other damages."

Fast starts are big candidates because of the possibility of cross-traffic not stopping in time. It's just a really dangerous activity.
Colorado Law:
(1)(a) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (4) of this section, it is unlawful for a person to knowingly engage in a speed contest on a highway.

(b) For purposes of this section, “speed contest” means the operation of one or more motor vehicles to conduct a race or a time trial, including but not limited to rapid acceleration, exceeding reasonable and prudent speeds for highways and existing traffic conditions, vying for position, or performing one or more lane changes in an attempt to gain advantage over one or more of the other race participants.

(c) A person who violates any provision of this subsection (1) commits a class 1 misdemeanor traffic offense.

(2)(a) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (4) of this section, it is unlawful for a person to knowingly engage in a speed exhibition on a highway.

(b) For purposes of this section, “speed exhibition” means the operation of a motor vehicle to present a display of speed or power. “Speed exhibition” includes, but is not limited to, squealing the tires of a motor vehicle while it is stationary or in motion, rapid acceleration, rapid swerving or weaving in and out of traffic, producing smoke from tire slippage, or leaving visible tire acceleration marks on the surface of the highway or ground.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: alexGS and afty
You can wear tires with hard acceleration even though there's not detectable wheel spin. The car will accelerate at the threshold of wheel spin. Hard to explain, but there's basically micro wheel spin. Sort of how hard cornering also wears the tires more than light driving. The tires are holding on for dear life under all that torque vs a smoother slower launch.

We did a few hard starts in a parking lot and afterwards looked at the pavement. Instead of the black steaks a burn out would leave, we found light streaks. The tires scrubbed the surface clean, like power washing an old driveway!

Seems like 2/3rd of the people that posted on here from California says no whereas everyone else is saying yes. Interesting :D

California Police can give a ticket for "exhibition of speed". You do not even need to be racing someone else.
If you drive to get attention, you will most likely get attention from the Police. Same thing goes for loud motorcycles. Just blipping your throttle at a light will get you the stink eye from the cops.

Maybe twice in 8 months. P3D-

Once recently because I was in the wrong lane and wanted to goose myself into the correct lane.

Never to “race”. Have not done that since I was a dumb ass teen. Well maybe till 21 or so. 69 Dodge Charger 440. Luckily I met my wife before killed myself (or someone else) in that thing. I was having engine rebuilt by real pro when I met my wife. Sold the engine to buy her ring. Never looked back.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: alexGS
I save the mashing for when I need to get out of a bind while driving. I love the discreet agility of this car.

Agreed. Gotta be careful though, you can put yourself into a worse bind.

I don’t use it often to get out of a bind. But I was in a loaner Model S just the other day accel really saved my butt. Not only was I not used to the loaner car I was also driving in areas I’m not used to either. But I knew about from many years ago. This highway ramp entrance is very odd. And they have the traffic crossing the entrance at an odd angle (Not 90 degrees) Totally convoluted. It’s the Newton Corner ramp to Rt 90 West for anyone familiar.

When I approached, I saw this red light at this odd angle. Is that like for me, do I need to stop? No it can’t be for me. Could it be? While I’m hyper focusing on that stupid light I’m getting close to intersection. Well if that light isn’t mine, where is my light. Oh *sugar*, it’s smack in front of me and it’s red too. And cars are starting to move into my path. I realized this mess just as my nose enters the intersection in arms way. To late to stop. I know,I know, a really stupid move on my part.

So I mashed it. If I didn’t have the Tesla acceleration. I think I would have got my rear end clipped. Saved my butt that time. Boy am I pissed at myself for getting into the mess in the first place. I was not going that fast. Just got distracted by the light I wasn’t sure was mine. It should have better “directionality” lens so I can’t see it at all.

So it basically helped me run a red light more efficiently ;)

Yes, wear will be higher with mashing the pedal vs rolling into it.

The car is holding back the wheelspin. As someone pointed out, the traction control keeps it on a very fine line.

If you’re in some cooler temps with cold tires, you can feel like the car is hesitating up to about 20 mph. That’s because the car was restraining the wheel spin before then. You can even feel the car pull from side to side quickly while the torque is getting redistributed.

To answer OP’s question, occasional full throttle, but more often when my 3 year old daughter is in the car, she loves the acceleration. Looks like her mother, but gets her need for speed from me.

Ive only got a LR3D but fairly frequently, but also not all the time. I frequently use TACC in stop and go on my way to work so no mashing there.
I also very infrequently get to on weekends. Mashing with the wife in the car causes all sorts of problems.

On the rare occasion I am first in line at a red light, basically every single time. On my commute I'm not that lucky most of the time, so probably still averages out to about the same as the more prudent drivers amongst us. Speed limit is 45 where I have stop lights, and I'm always off of it at 50 mph in those circumstances (I usually roll at a "normal" acceleration into the middle of the intersection and then punch it). Where I can get into trouble (and indeed did, first week I had the car) are freeway onramps....very easy to look down and be doing 20-30 mph over without having even "mashed it."

Reactions: mswlogo
Agreed. Gotta be careful though, you can put yourself into a worse bind.

I don’t use it often to get out of a bind. But I was in a loaner Model S just the other day accel really saved my butt. Not only was I not used to the loaner car I was also driving in areas I’m not used to either. But I knew about from many years ago. This highway ramp entrance is very odd. And they have the traffic crossing the entrance at an odd angle (Not 90 degrees) Totally convoluted. It’s the Newton Corner ramp to Rt 90 West for anyone familiar.

When I approached, I saw this red light at this odd angle. Is that like for me, do I need to stop? No it can’t be for me. Could it be? While I’m hyper focusing on that stupid light I’m getting close to intersection. Well if that light isn’t mine, where is my light. Oh *sugar*, it’s smack in front of me and it’s red too. And cars are starting to move into my path. I realized this mess just as my nose enters the intersection in arms way. To late to stop. I know,I know, a really stupid move on my part.

So I mashed it. If I didn’t have the Tesla acceleration. I think I would have got my rear end clipped. Saved my butt that time. Boy am I pissed at myself for getting into the mess in the first place. I was not going that fast. Just got distracted by the light I wasn’t sure was mine. It should have better “directionality” lens so I can’t see it at all.

So it basically helped me run a red light more efficiently ;)

BAHAAHAHAHAHAH
You just made my day. I was driving through there just a few minutes back and thought to myself, if Tesla's full self drive could handle this it would be ready for prime time. And Cleveland Circle.

As for anyone who wants to see a very poorly designed intersection, a huge reason for congestion on 90 in Newton is because this major off ramp dumps into a major local turn onto Centre Street. Which would be fine, but the Centre Street turn has a light and a No Turn On Red sign, even though it is a 100% protected turn with no other traffic merging in!!!

For reference: (red is traffic coming from the East trying to get on Centre Street, blue is highway offramp, yellow is the useless light)

Screenshot_20190522-084558_Maps.jpg

I'll mash it for full acceleration if I get the chance, but for me I have these personal rules:

1. Only if I'm the lead car at a red light.
2. I won't do it from the right-hand lane or a single lane, this is too close to the sidewalk, side of the road, or ditch.
3. Only if I have plenty of time to stop the car fully and get set with brake hold.
4. No cross traffic either at the intersection, nor other cars entering the roadway from driveways or other streets past the intersection.
5. Good weather, no moisture on the road surface.
6. Straightaway, no curves in the road past the intersection.
7. No other cars present on the road past the intersection (because I would likely pass them).
8. High visibility of the road -- no trees, shrubs, or other obstacles that obscure my view. I like to be able to see at least 1/4 mile or more.
9. If night time, road must be well-lit with street lights.
10. Generally I only do this if I'm by myself in the car, or with someone else who knows me, knows the car, and is OK with it.

It's actually pretty rare for me that all of these items line up and are satisfied (cross traffic or other cars are the items that most often aren't satisfied). As a result, I'll get the chance only once a week or so.

BAHAAHAHAHAHAH
You just made my day. I was driving through there just a few minutes back and thought to myself, if Tesla's full self drive could handle this it would be ready for prime time. And Cleveland Circle.

As for anyone who wants to see a very poorly designed intersection, a huge reason for congestion on 90 in Newton is because this major off ramp dumps into a major local turn onto Centre Street. Which would be fine, but the Centre Street turn has a light and a No Turn On Red sign, even though it is a 100% protected turn with no other traffic merging in!!!

For reference: (red is traffic coming from the East trying to get on Centre Street, blue is highway offramp, yellow is the useless light)

View attachment 410552

Yeah, and I was so proud of myself when I took that off ramp and wiggled into the correct lanes at the correct time and not get honked at, prefect execution ;). I was headed to the Watertown SC. Not so good getting back on 90 though, ugh. That whole Newton corner is a mess.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd