Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ Tire Wear Report - Pilot Sport 4S - 15k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you need to rotate tires? Front and Rear have about the same weight, it's not like the front has a V8 engine that put pressure down on the front tires. If weight distributions are the same on the front and rear. Theoretically, you should have same wear across all tires.

Mobile service guy told me Tesla recommends it to make some $$.

Why do you need to rotate tires? Front and Rear have about the same weight, it's not like the front has a V8 engine that put pressure down on the front tires. If weight distributions are the same on the front and rear. Theoretically, you should have same wear across all tires.

You're right, weight distribution about perfect on the 3, but it's more about which wheels are generating the most torque...usually biased towards the rear, although most reports I've read report fairly even front to back wear. But not the case with everyone as you can see earlier in the thread. With hard cornering front edges can wear more than rear as well.

Reactions: 03DSG

The wear is not about the weight front and back but more about the drive. RWD wears significantly faster on the rear than the front. This is due to acceleration, weight transfer and Regen. The fronts just freewheel aside from braking. In the AWD the bias is also towards the rear during acceleration again partially due to weight transfer.
Where you will get more wear on the front is on the outer shoulders due to cornering loads. Rotating the tires gives all 4 the chance to share the wear more evenly.

Reactions: Jedi2155
Uhm... these tires ARE directional - so cross pattern rotation will not work.

Edit: Correction - these are Asymmetrical - but the tire would have to be remounted as the wheel is directional.
All the wheels follow the same direction though, so they will all be consistent regardless of what corner you put them on.

If the car had distinct lefts and rights then yes, it would throw the aesthetics off but with all of them pointing in the same direction, the right side points “forward” and the left points “backward”.

• Informative
Reactions: Danny Brown