Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D vs P85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to decide between buying a 2014 P85 and a 2018 P3D. Probably an additional $10k on the P3D (private party).

With the P85 I'm getting a $120k car for $40k and about 3 years left of warranty. With the P3D I'm getting like a $65k car for $50k but obviously much newer and much more warranty left.

Any thoughts/comments/recommendations in terms of which makes more sense would be greatly appreciated.

We have owned both. Sold our 2013 P85 to purchase a Model 3. Our current car is a M3P and we love it. You brought up a good point about it being a $120k car. Thats a double edge sword and the blade facing you is sharper... Just keep in mind you would be buying an older car, that is considerably more complex than the M3. When you need to get something fixed, you are fixing a $120k car, not a $40k car... The M3 is most likely a fair bit safer car and is FSD capable which will hold its resale value much higher. I predict the older Model S cars will start to depreciate at an accelerated rate.

Dont get me wrong... we loved the Model S. We are just happier with the M3P. Its a better sized car for us and has much better range and tech.

If I had the choice again, I would do the same thing and get the M3P. They are incredible values right now and I suspect the lower price they are selling them at now will drive down the used market even more for them.

• Love
Reactions: SigNC and P85_DA
Really appreciate the responses. Great point about the repairs on a $120k car, that's the main reason the 3 piqued my interest.
The Model 3 Performance is now like $50K new. I wouldn't pay more than that for used regardless of options.
Forgive my ignorance but I'm well over $60k new with a fully loaded performance model when I price it out. Do you mean minus the auto/self-drive?

Forgive my ignorance but I'm well over $60k new with a fully loaded performance model when I price it out. Do you mean minus the auto/self-drive?

For the P3D I would definitely do a spreadsheet comparison including the effects of any available federal credits and local incentives (you are in AZ so may be nothing?). They would not apply to a used car. So you should see how a new P3D compares to your used one.

A 2019 P3D you buy new today will already have HW3 in it...whereas a used 2018 P3D will be eligible for it, if it has FSD purchased.

There are also many other differences - Tesla is continuously updating. For example, you’ll probably have a tow hitch panel on a brand new car... just an example.

If you buy a not-loaded P3D (P3D Stealth) with no FSD, you can get it for just under $50k not including taxes, fees, delivery, but also not accounting for tax credit and local incentives. A loaded one does work out to be more than $60k, as you say.

To me $50k seems a bit steep for a used P3D but depends on mileage and exact build date, obviously. There are a lot of details to consider!

As an owner of both, here's a few thoughts:

1. Drive them both! Our P85+ is a creamy rocketship, with a plush ride, tons of storage, and is a joy on long trips. Our P3D is also a rocket ship, but with with less storage space, and a rougher ride. It gets left in the garage on long trips, but it is much easier to park.
2. Resale! The P85+ is at the bottom of a 5-year depreciation curve. In one year, it will lose thousands in value, as opposed to “teens of thousands” for the P3D.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: P85_DA and thecloud
I'm trying to decide between buying a 2014 P85 and a 2018 P3D. Probably an additional $10k on the P3D (private party).

With the P85 I'm getting a $120k car for $40k and about 3 years left of warranty. With the P3D I'm getting like a $65k car for $50k but obviously much newer and much more warranty left.

Any thoughts/comments/recommendations in terms of which makes more sense would be greatly appreciated.

P3D, IMHO, as I would appreciate the more current tech and nimbleness.

Reactions: DOC52 and P85_DA