Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ wheel and tire set

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I have the performance upgrade on my performance model 3 and already had 2 flat tires in one week. What is the most reasonable wheel and tire combination to help prevent the shock from the rough road? I would imagine run flats would be an added bonus and higher sidewall. I haven’t seen a whole lot of options out there. What do you guys think?

Hello,

I have the performance upgrade on my performance model 3 and already had 2 flat tires in one week. What is the most reasonable wheel and tire combination to help prevent the shock from the rough road? I would imagine run flats would be an added bonus and higher sidewall. I haven’t seen a whole lot of options out there. What do you guys think?

Find a nice looking 19" wheel and go with that. The ride is a bit more comfortable, and you can worry less about potholes.

Otherwise, buy the tire road hazard warranty, and take more care while driving.

Find a nice looking 19" wheel and go with that. The ride is a bit more comfortable, and you can worry less about potholes.

Otherwise, buy the tire road hazard warranty, and take more care while driving.

I have the tire road hazard warranty on the michelin pilot sport A/S 3 plus tires and frankly speaking I am not impressed. I would rather have a comfortable ride and performance. With those tires I feel like I am one with the road. If the road is nicely paved which is seldom the case in the Northeast, then it is a joy to ride. Otherwise, it is a royal pain in the butt taking the car to the service center all the time.

So what resources do you recommend to find a nice looking 19" wheel?

I have the tire road hazard warranty on the michelin pilot sport A/S 3 plus tires and frankly speaking I am not impressed. I would rather have a comfortable ride and performance. With those tires I feel like I am one with the road. If the road is nicely paved which is seldom the case in the Northeast, then it is a joy to ride. Otherwise, it is a royal pain in the butt taking the car to the service center all the time.

So what resources do you recommend to find a nice looking 19" wheel?

There are many options available, so it all depends on your budget.

For example, I'm currently running a budget friendly set of 19x9.5" Enkei TFR wheels while I wait for another set. These will be my dedicated track set, since they're lightweight and easy enough to replace without breaking the bank. Doesn't hurt that they look nice, too.
20190127_152537.jpg

My other set that I have on order is the opposite of budget friendly, but is much nicer, stronger, lighter and from @SignatureWheel. These will be my daily driver :cool:

Then, there's the option of contacting Josh @Josh@GYW for a whole host of other wheel options that span the budget spectrum.

Look around the forum for sizes, and styles that folks are running. The main thing to keep in mind with the performance 3 with performance upgrade, is that there's a 3mm lip on the hub that can make fitting wheels a bit tricky. However, both Josh@GYW, and Jimmy at Signature are aware of this and are willing to help you out.

Hello,

Many of our Model 3 customers prefer 18" and 19" Wheels for daily or winter driving due to rough roads.

It is time for Tesla to change the tire option for the 20" performance tire / wheel combination.
There have been many complaints about pot hole damage with the 20" wheels / tires.
This could be reduced if Tesla would use a tire with a little larger profile.
The same issue exists with the curb rash complaints. A little wider tire that extends beyond the rim would greatly reduce this problem.
Finally many people ordering the Performance model do so in order to get the larger brakes, larger rims / tires and spoiler.
The performance SUMMER tires void their warranty if driven in 20 F or lower temperatures.
Tesla should offer an all weather tire combo with a larger profile that would reduce or eliminate all these problems.
It is time for Tesla to make a change and reduce these problems / complaints.

Reactions: ZapCarM3
It is time for Tesla to change the tire option for the 20" performance tire / wheel combination.
There have been many complaints about pot hole damage with the 20" wheels / tires.
This could be reduced if Tesla would use a tire with a little larger profile.
The same issue exists with the curb rash complaints. A little wider tire that extends beyond the rim would greatly reduce this problem.
Finally many people ordering the Performance model do so in order to get the larger brakes, larger rims / tires and spoiler.
The performance SUMMER tires void their warranty if driven in 20 F or lower temperatures.
Tesla should offer an all weather tire combo with a larger profile that would reduce or eliminate all these problems.
It is time for Tesla to make a change and reduce these problems / complaints.

Equal time for opposing points of view?

You can knock Tesla for not educating new owners about the vulnerabilities of 35 series tires, and the wheels they don't protect very well - you're just the latest of a dozen posters complaining about these issues. I suspect you've had little prior experience with this set of issues, but you can't have the best ultra high performance setup (30-35 series max performance summer tires) and expect that this setup will
1) glide through winter temps with what are summer only tires
2) deal with potholes and curbs the way a 60 series tire (and its much better protected wheel) might

Your best option frankly is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in a 235/40-19 size. It will handle winter (but probably not great if you live in Buffalo NY or similar, you need a full winter tire). It also will be less vulnerable to potholes, but you will still need to be careful. And it will handle almost as well as the Pilot Sport 4S, which is the best performing overall street tire of all time.

If that's not enough coverage for your driving style (or you just can't avoid most of the those potholes), I'd downgrade to 235/45-18 all seasons. But just don't come back complaining that your handling isn't as crisp or capable at the limit!

It's all tradeoffs. If you want maximum handling ability, the other issues you are complaining about are intrinsic vulnerabilities. No way around it.

Reactions: EV-by-the-Sea
Tesla should offer the PERFORMANCE SUMMER tires for those that want / need what they offer in driving and handling capability.
Tesla should also offer an all weather tire option for those buyers that still want the bigger brakes, 20" wheels and spoiler but do not want to deal with Summer only rated tires. Since the Model 3 is a high volume production vehicle you would think that Tesla would want to keep repairs and problems to a minimum. By offering both types of tires they would provide the extra performance for those that want it and the reliability, safety and convenience that most people expect. At the price you pay for a performance model 3 you should be able to get all weather tires if you choose without having to go to a tire store for an after market purchase.

Reactions: ZapCarM3
Hello,

I would not suggest run flats. When BMW went to run flats they all of a sudden had issues with tires getting bubbles and rims bending from pot holes. They also makes the ride very harsh. Yes, go with 18's for New York but non runflats, in my opinion.

Reactions: M3totms
Hello,

Hello,

Run-flat tires are an unmitigated disaster. They are generally speaking the lowest rated Tire you can buy. Check out Tire racks ratings from users on run-flat tires in the ultra-high and Max Performance Groups. They perform poorly and ride worse. As other people have recommended you've got to change your driving style but then also you could consider moving to a 19-inch wheel and a 235 / 40 - 19 Tire. You'll retain most of the sharp handling but gets significantly more sidewall. Don't change the rolling diameter of the tire however as several other people are recommending. Bad idea in general.

Run-flat tires are an unmitigated disaster. They are generally speaking the lowest rated Tire you can buy. Check out Tire racks ratings from users on run-flat tires in the ultra-high and Max Performance Groups. They perform poorly and ride worse. As other people have recommended you've got to change your driving style but then also you could consider moving to a 19-inch wheel and a 235 / 40 - 19 Tire. You'll retain most of the sharp handling but gets significantly more sidewall. Don't change the rolling diameter of the tire however as several other people are recommending. Bad idea in general.

Thank you for that. Changing the driving style requires not using the roads and only taking the car to the track. While that would be cool I think is but a pipe dream. I do use autosteer anytime I could use because I've grown so dependent on it. So when I pothole comes up, I have to take it off autosteer and watch for traffic in other lanes. Defeats the purpose of driving a Tesla and any enjoyment associated with that experience. I notified the municipality about the potholes a few weeks ago now and they have yet to plug the holes. And they don't really care.

I think the best solution is to get an 18" wheel that fits on the hub with the longer performance breaks and a taller sidewall. I was told that anything below 50 is still considered low profile. So probably looking at 245 / 45 18 Performance tire. Now the wheel width can be 8" or 8.5." Do you know if that has any impact on ride quality or simply choose a wider wheel allows for more size variety of tires that can be installed on the wheel? What about the offset size? This is measured in millimeters and I wonder if this measurement has anything to do with the ratio of height to width on the tire.

I was reading somewhere that the OEM wheel weight is ~23 lbs. I am thinking any wheel in the 19 - 24 lbs range should work.

Additionally, what is your take on the gravity cast with flow forming vs. regular gravity cast?

Thank you for that. Changing the driving style requires not using the roads and only taking the car to the track. While that would be cool I think is but a pipe dream. I do use autosteer anytime I could use because I've grown so dependent on it. So when I pothole comes up, I have to take it off autosteer and watch for traffic in other lanes. Defeats the purpose of driving a Tesla and any enjoyment associated with that experience. I notified the municipality about the potholes a few weeks ago now and they have yet to plug the holes. And they don't really care.

I think the best solution is to get an 18" wheel that fits on the hub with the longer performance breaks and a taller sidewall. I was told that anything below 50 is still considered low profile. So probably looking at 245 / 45 18 Performance tire. Now the wheel width can be 8" or 8.5." Do you know if that has any impact on ride quality or simply choose a wider wheel allows for more size variety of tires that can be installed on the wheel? What about the offset size? This is measured in millimeters and I wonder if this measurement has anything to do with the ratio of height to width on the tire.

I was reading somewhere that the OEM wheel weight is ~23 lbs. I am thinking any wheel in the 19 - 24 lbs range should work.

Additionally, what is your take on the gravity cast with flow forming vs. regular gravity cast?

You may struggle to find a gravity cast 18" wheel that fits over the performance upgraded brakes. You will have better chances fitting a flow formed 18" over the brakes, but even then, it's going to be tight.

Go check out a couple of the threads discussing what fits, and what doesn't. Lot's of good discussion has already occurred.

You may struggle to find a gravity cast 18" wheel that fits over the performance upgraded brakes. You will have better chances fitting a flow formed 18" over the brakes, but even then, it's going to be tight.

Go check out a couple of the threads discussing what fits, and what doesn't. Lot's of good discussion has already occurred.

Thank you for that. What are some threads that you recommend? I have been searching for this issue in the forum discussions and did not really something that would specifically address this. Additionally, I ask for certain wheel/tire lingo that I am not sure it is discussed in those threads you reference.

Thank you for that. What are some threads that you recommend? I have been searching for this issue in the forum discussions and did not really something that would specifically address this. Additionally, I ask for certain wheel/tire lingo that I am not sure it is discussed in those threads you reference.

Search this thread for 18 inch options:
Aftermarket Wheels on Model 3

There are others, but that one has a good bit of information.

I'm pretty sure I would not get a car with 35 series tires if I lived in New York City. So now I understand your challenge.

Here's what I would recommend. Get the lightest strongest Ally wheel you can in an 18in by 8.5 size and put on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires if they're available in a 235 / 45 - 18 size and get a full snow tire for the winter.

Talk to Josh at getyourwheels.com. I'm still not 100% convinced that a 45 series Tire and Wheel Will Survive the worst of New York City roads, but I'm pretty confident a 35 series Tire will not. VS Forged makes some great looking wheels and they are super light and very strong. The lighter wheels will of course have less inertia and track bumps and pavement irregularities more easily than heavier ones. If they're forged they probably are more resistant to bending, but even then I would say you may have to spend some money from time to time having a wheel straightened. New York City traffic and Roads and Ultra high-performance cars tires and wheels are not really compatible.

Of course this is not cheap as vs forged are about 600 bucks a corner. You could get some vertini Wheels also at the same place which I believe are rotary forged and will be somewhat less money but you're still talking four hundred bucks a corner. There is no cheap solution to this unfortunately unless you're prepared to get really cheap Chinese wheels and simply replace them when they get bent.

I would not suggest run flats. When BMW went to run flats they all of a sudden had issues with tires getting bubbles and rims bending from pot holes. They also makes the ride very harsh. Yes, go with 18's for New York but non runflats, in my opinion.

All the above, not to mention run-flat tires are much heavier, resulting in poor range. An aftermarket set of 18" or 19" wheels and tires should resolve your concerns.

Reactions: Magnets!