Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D with V9 - more efficient?

Have you noticed an efficiency change with V9?

• Yes

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 90.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kbecks13

Dec 27, 2017
SoCal
Am i crazy or is the P3D more efficient with V9 software? I just got an effiency of 260 wh/mile on a drive where i would previously get around 300. I'm wondering if they maybe changed something in how the motors torque sleep while cruising.

strangely drove all day today on the same route I usually take for a weekend chill drive where I launch at every opportunity, and it showed 215 wh/mi. This route always used to net me 240-255 wh/mi. This is the first time I took the car out for extended drive since V9 update.

RWD here, not P3D.

Actually I was around 208 Wh/mi (mixed) on my P3D for the last ~250 miles before update.
Then this weekend I did ~400 miles and got around 250 wh/mi (all highway and it was cold out).
See, if I was going to drive it for efficiency then I'd really question my purchase. 208 Wh is amazing, but at over 100 Wh/mi less than my best, your driving style is completely foreign to me. Although I haven't tried chill mode and most driving near me is 80 mph highway driving.

See, if I was going to drive it for efficiency then I'd really question my purchase. 208 Wh is amazing, but at over 100 Wh/mi less than my best, your driving style is completely foreign to me. Although I haven't tried chill mode and most driving near me is 80 mph highway driving.

After a trip of like 120 miles (typically 65mph) I started at like 250-ish wh/mi. I have an off highway commute. Then it would creep down every day. And reached 208. Then I reset and did the trip again.

I have admittedly babied the HVAC to see how well it could do.

I don’t question my purchase a bit.

80mph highway will kill your wh/mi

I just put a new variable speed DC pump on my pool to save electricity.

The idea is you cut RPM (gallons per minute) in half and you use 1/4 (square root) the power. So you run it twice as long to cover the same gallons but you still use half the power to filter the same amount of water. So I run it 24/7 which 4x longer and my cost to run is 1/4.

Acceleration kills wh/mi too, but it’s average speed that will dominate your wh/mi.

I don’t need to drive fast to enjoy the car.
Regardless of how fast I accelerate.