Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 Loaner Cars! Sweet!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is so good. Goooood.
I'm around 14 working days from needing my 12,500 mile service. Might have to slow down on the miles to be sure I don't end up with a POS chevy again (which cost me $40 in gas). Oh man filling that tank up hurt.

Can people please clarify:

-- Does the P85 loaner drop off service only apply to those with Ranger anywhere service plans?

-- If you do not have a Ranger anywhere service plan: Will they still drive out and swap cars whenever you need service? If not will you get a P85 loaner when you take the car into the service center if they need to keep it more than 4 hours or will you get an ICE loaner?

-- Does this loaner program apply when you have your annual service and need tire rotation and balancing that can only be done at a service center, i.e. will they drive out with a loaner, swap cars, take your car in for tire rotation and balancing, drive it back and reswap?

-- Is 80 cars enough for the whole country? What happens when they run out of P85 loaners in your area?

These types of questions are important for people deciding on whether to buy service plans with Ranger service. Thanks.

Boy - if this applies to Roadster service also, I might need to FIND an excuse for another Roadster service soon. A reasonably extended 1 day test drive of a Performance Model S - I know a few people who NEED a ride (muwahahaha!), though they may regret it afterwards :)

Can people please clarify:

-- Does the P85 loaner drop off service only apply to those with Ranger anywhere service plans?

-- If you do not have a Ranger anywhere service plan: Will they still drive out and swap cars whenever you need service? If not will you get a P85 loaner when you take the car into the service center if they need to keep it more than 4 hours or will you get an ICE loaner?

-- Does this loaner program apply when you have your annual service and need tire rotation and balancing that can only be done at a service center, i.e. will they drive out with a loaner, swap cars, take your car in for tire rotation and balancing, drive it back and reswap?

-- Is 80 cars enough for the whole country? What happens when they run out of P85 loaners in your area?

These types of questions are important for people deciding on whether to buy service plans with Ranger service. Thanks.

It's pretty obvious that we're all guessing at this point but:

I would guess the P85 loaner is the same as when you got a POS ICE as a loaner. If you don't have Ranger service you'll pay the hundred bucks. When/if they run out of P85 loaners you wont get one because they don't have one.

I wouldn't think it REPLACES Ranger service. It's just that whenever you get a loaner it is now a P85. If a Ranger comes to you, it's 100 dollars or nothing depending on your plan selection.

But if he comes to me to drop off the loaner and take my car, is that considered ranger service? If so, I'd def opt for the plan with ranger service.i bet those who bought the plan already would have liked to know this back then as well. I'm waiting until my 22 days are almost up :)

tumblr_m0bevhuIOR1r6n9xeo1_400.jpg

But if he comes to me to drop off the loaner and take my car, is that considered ranger service? If so, I'd def opt for the plan with ranger service.i bet those who bought the plan already would have liked to know this back then as well. I'm waiting until my 22 days are almost up :)

exactly this! I'm glad i haven't pulled the trigger yet on my service plan. Because the answer to this could have a lot of affect on whether i get the ranger service or not.

It occurs to me that there may be a further brilliant aspect to the P85 loaner drop off.

Tesla can hire relatively modestly paid employees to shuttle loaners and owners' cars back and forth from the service centers while highly trained and highly paid Rangers/technicians can work steadily throughout the day at the service centers fixing cars. The highly trained/paid people are not wasting their valuable time driving back and forth to the sites of owners.

No one is going to complain too much that a Ranger isn't fixing their car on site if they have a P85 loaner while their car is shuttled away to be worked on. "Ranger" service may become P85-loaner-drop-off service more than Ranger visits in certain locales. Tesla spends less money, the client is happy.

It's nowhere near enough. It's funny that most people in this thread are assuming they're going to get one as soon as they need service. Prolly not gonna happen. But it's a great idea and kudos to Tesla for doing it. They'll probably keep adding cars to this program to make it better. It's amazing what a let-down it is to go back to a gasser. This will help prevent that.

It's nowhere near enough. It's funny that most people in this thread are assuming they're going to get one as soon as they need service. Prolly not gonna happen. But it's a great idea and kudos to Tesla for doing it. They'll probably keep adding cars to this program to make it better. It's amazing what a let-down it is to go back to a gasser. This will help prevent that.

Yeah, the website lists 32 or so existing and planned service centers. Even though they probably won't distribute the cars evenly, that's less than 3 cars per center.

Here's the language in the Service agreement regarding loaners and ranger service:

A loaner vehicle will be provided to You if Your scheduled maintenance is being performed at a Tesla
Authorized Service Center and Tesla estimates that it will take over four hours to complete. A loaner
vehicle will not be provided for Tesla Ranger service.

And later on in the document:

C. Obtaining Service

To obtain Your scheduled maintenance inspection, You must take Your Vehicle to any Tesla Authorized
Service Center or contact Tesla to arrange Tesla Ranger service (if available in Your area). Please have
the Vehicle Identification Number (“VIN”) and Vehicle mileage ready for Tesla and make Tesla aware of
the existence of this Agreement before any services are performed.

The cost (if any) of transporting Your Vehicle is not included in this Agreement and You are solely
responsible for the cost of transporting Your Vehicle to the Tesla Authorized Service Center. The
cost of Tesla Ranger service will be subject to the applicable Plan specified in this Agreement.

So, that actually leaves me a little confused on this announcement. Perhaps we'll see an update to the language in the agreement.

They'll probably continue to add cars over time. Assume we'll have an average of 20,000 cars on the road during the next 12 months and that the average owner needs a loaner twice over that period, between some people hitting 12,500 miles and some people having problems. Hopefully both of those are conservative estimates. We'd need 40,000 loaner days for the next year (I'm using simple round numbers here), over roughly 310 days (service works Saturdays), which comes out to 130 cars required if everything is even.

Nothing is ever even, so Tesla will probably end up needing 200 cars... but 80 sounds about right to get going IMHO. Many of us aren't even close to a scheduled maintenance calls, not everyone has problems, some people will need minimal Ranger service but not a loaner, some people prefer to show up at the service center, and so on.

The number of people needing service in the next few months is still fairly small. Service center visits won't really pick up until the end of the year (one year from when production took off). I am assuming I have a reasonable chance of getting one when I need service next February, but we'll see.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, although I purchased the plan I can freely upgrade any time until the time runs out (it shows the ranger service as an option I can order for the difference between the two plans). However, if they pick up and drop off my car at work, when will I get to drive the performance??? I'd much rather drive to the service center and drive the performance back to work.

I don't think I've seen it directly mentioned but...

"80 isn't enough, but it's a good start"
"they'll need more"
etc.

This plan is also clever in that it provides a way to keep the production line occupied if there are draught periods. And a way to deal with "mismatched with order" and "factory defect" vehicles by putting these vehicles "out to pasture" as loaners. Will you care if your loaner vehicle has a crappy AM antenna? Will you care if your loaner has mismatched wheels (silvers and darks)? Will you care if your loaner has a "slightly louder than normal" acceleration whine? Heck no. A new life for owner-rejected vehicles. Also, a few years out some of the buybacks could serve as loaners if need be.