Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 Loaner Cars! Sweet!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the language in the Service agreement regarding loaners and ranger service:
A loaner vehicle will be provided to You if Your scheduled maintenance is being performed at a Tesla
Authorized Service Center and Tesla estimates that it will take over four hours to complete. A loaner
vehicle will not be provided for Tesla Ranger service.

So there is no shuttle service from and to the service center?

Elon says my time is worth $100/h, so now service will cost me $600 + 4*$100 = $1000 per year!

This is great news. Right after I got my car, I had to have it in the shop for three or four days because of a problem with the panoramic roof. I hadn't yet sold my old car, so I just drove it (and it had the white carpool stickers so that worked nicely). But today the Model S is my only vehicle. To be able to drive a Model S, and a P85 at that, is a terrific improvement over a rental.

Tesla can sell these cars periodically and refresh the loaner cars with the latest and greatest. I'm sure they will gain a number of upgrades as time goes on and they add new features to the car like wrap-around camera views or whatever.

It does help eliminate the concern some might have of being early adopters and not having your fine vehicle for days at a time while bugs are worked through. You get another as fine, if not even finer, vehicle.

80 may be enough early on. I mean hopefully we dont have too many cars in service collectively yet. But if they need more, 80 is only 1 day on the line's worth, right? So, while its a large investment, they its not like they have to displace a lot of orders to add to that number.

This is great. I've always bitched about why dealers stick me in a crappy loaner, rather than something that's better than my current car - i.e. something I might want to buy next. My Audi dealer did a good job of getting me into a better car, but Mercedes were hopeless. Kudos to Lexus if they're been doing that all along.

since I live near a SC, I'm assuming that if the work will take >4hrs, then a loaner will be made available to me, but would also like confirmation, as I'm probably not going to opt for the Ranger service.

Still, this is good. Very good.

per service agreement, as pointed out above:

A loaner vehicle will not be provided for Tesla Ranger service.

so Ranger's won't "Drive out" or "tow out" a P85 replacement to you. Therefore, I will not be opting for the Ranger Service plan, and will only get the $1900 4-year plan. I will always drop my car off at a service center so I can get the P85 loaner.

80 cars isn't nearly enough. The L.A. Service Dept alone has more broken cars than they can handle. I've been trying to get them to fix my broken Model S for the past 3 weeks and they won't even return my calls or my emails or schedule an appointment for me. Worst car service experience of my lifetime, so adding a few loaners to each service center isn't going to change anything. Why is everyone acting like no other car company has ever offered same-make loaners before? Sheesh.

Last edited:
80 cars isn't nearly enough. They've got 80 broken Model S in the L.A. Service Dept alone as we speak. I've been trying to get them to fix my broken Model S for the past 3 weeks and they won't even return my calls or my emails or schedule an appointment for me. Worst car service experience of my lifetime, so adding a few loaners to each service center isn't going to change anything. Why is everyone acting like no other car company has ever offered same-make loaners before? Sheesh.
Wow - whats wrong with your car?

80 cars isn't nearly enough. They've got 80 broken Model S in the L.A. Service Dept alone as we speak. I've been trying to get them to fix my broken Model S for the past 3 weeks and they won't even return my calls or my emails or schedule an appointment for me. Worst car service experience of my lifetime, so adding a few loaners to each service center isn't going to change anything. Why is everyone acting like no other car company has ever offered same-make loaners before? Sheesh.

Bit of hyperbole there? The LA service center can barely accommodate 8 cars as it is. That said, it sucks that you can't even make an appointment. Have you tried just stopping in and making one in person?

If they had 80 cars there, then clearly they aren't doing any triage because they would be letting them sit in the lot. So why wouldn't they put your car in the pile? I think you are exaggerating just a tad. Call ownership, get them to call the service center on your behalf. That usually works better.

If they had 80 cars there, then clearly they aren't doing any triage because they would be letting them sit in the lot. So why wouldn't they put your car in the pile? I think you are exaggerating just a tad. Call ownership, get them to call the service center on your behalf. That usually works better.

They've got so many cars that they haven't been able to accept mine for over 3 weeks now. And Yes, I've contacted Ownership and they can't help me. All they do is offer to "have the L.A. Service Dept contact me", which never ends up happening. It funny how anytime anyone makes a post on this board that isn't Pro-Tesla you end up getting a bunch of nasty PMs. Does everybody on this board (besides me) work for Tesla's PR agency? Wow. Why is everyone so angered over the truth being told?

Last edited:
I don't know that they have exactly 80, but they've got so many that they haven't been able to accept mine for over 3 weeks now. And Yes, I've contacted Ownership and they can't help me. All they do is offer to "have the L.A. Service Dept contact me", which never ends up happening. It funny how anytime anyone makes a post on this board that isn't Pro-Tesla you end up getting a bunch of nasty PMs. Does everybody on this board (besides me) work for Tesla's PR agency? Wow. Why is everyone so angered over the truth being told?

I don't doubt they are behind and not giving you the attention you need. We all know Tesla needs to improve it's communication. Frankly I'm surprised in those three weeks they haven't said, "look we can't see you for a few weeks, how does Friday the X work?"
I sympathise, but when you say 80 cars are in service at one center that implies a serious problem, both with the cars and with their service. Others not so enlightened as us might make hay out of statements like that, and if Tesla fails, well, then none of us are getting service.

So call them, every single day and make it clear it is unacceptable to you. Call ownership again, PM GeorgeB, etc.

I don't know that they have exactly 80, but they've got so many that they haven't been able to accept mine for over 3 weeks now. And Yes, I've contacted Ownership and they can't help me. All they do is offer to "have the L.A. Service Dept contact me", which never ends up happening. It funny how anytime anyone makes a post on this board that isn't Pro-Tesla you end up getting a bunch of nasty PMs. Does everybody on this board (besides me) work for Tesla's PR agency? Wow. Why is everyone so angered over the truth being told?

Some of those nasty PM's may very well be due to the perception of your attitude, and not related to Tesla in any way. It really sounds like you're bitter, angry, and carrying a big chip on your shoulder... one of those customers that one really wishes had bought someone else's product. That last post made YOU look bad, not Tesla... and people will often jump to another's defense if it appears that the attack was unjustified.

Of course, I'm sure that you're not bitter or angry, or anything of the sort, right? You've been reasonable, respectful, and well-mannered at all times, I'm sure. It's just that your prior post didn't give that impression, and some people may have jumped to conclusions. You really should take a deep breath before you post something like that... not about the content, but about the tone. It would probably save you some aggravation.

So to William3's defense (not that he needs defending) - I've recently had problems with a few things in Service, not like I've experienced in the past. I choose to believe that it is because they've had to grow so fast, have so many new employees, and it's just overwhelming. Would I be so understanding a year from now? NO. And, while I get it, there was one thing that bothered me enough (clearly a broken process) that I escalated it within Tesla so the right people would be aware. I've received email to indicate that it was received at the appropriate level.

William, you don't need to cut them any slack. You paid for your car, you'd like it working, you'd at least like to know they care. I believe the right people DO, that this problem will get solved. If you'd like me to escalate within Tesla, please let me know via pm and I will do so.

And the rest of you pick yourself up off the floor. I know you must have fallen over in shock to see my post :). I think the world of this company - but they have some stuff here that needs to get fixed. And I believe they will fix it. In the meantime, William needs his car fixed. :)

William, you don't need to cut them any slack. You paid for your car, you'd like it working, you'd at least like to know they care. I believe the right people DO, that this problem will get solved. If you'd like me to escalate within Tesla, please let me know via pm and I will do so.

And the rest of you pick yourself up off the floor. I know you must have fallen over in shock to see my post :). I think the world of this company - but they have some stuff here that needs to get fixed. And I believe they will fix it. In the meantime, William needs his car fixed. :)

Bonnie, I agree whole-heartedly with everything you wrote here. I also stand by my recommendation to William that he would be better perceived by others if he expressed himself in calmer and less hyperbolic terms. I'm not jumping down his throat, I'm telling him that he'll get better results by being -- or at least appearing -- less combative. I think it's good advice, and not an attack on him in any way.

I agree with Bonnie. I had a conversation with a relatively new owner while waiting for a supercharge to finish. He told me that his sunroof was scratching the glass. He had taken it to LA service and they agreed. I looked at it, and there was a little line of glue going from a seam in the sunroof seal towards the rear of the sunroof, about two inches. I had seen this on my car, and a little elbow grease removed the line. I licked my thumb, apologised to the owner and rubbed the glue off of his car sunroof. It now looked perfect, and he was going to cancel his service request.

My point is that this had been escalated by LA service to a repair item, and this owner was scheduled to have his sunroof removed or repaired. This is a waste of time for the owner, and an overburdoned LA service center. The repair techs need some experience, training and common sense. Until they achieve this they will be wasting time and $$$$.

That said, I also have been waiting since March 30th for a call back from the LA service. Some of my issues have resolved, or I have fixed them, but I have still not heard after three weeks and several followup calls.

Last edited: