Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 owner traded to P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there are plenty of similar threads, so I'll make this short and to the point. I owned a P85 for 6 weeks, and took delivery of a new P85+ earlier this week.

Tex is right.. the + makes a huge difference, especially to someone like myself who comes from a high end sports car background. Coming out of a V10 R8, the handling of the P85 left me really wanting more. The adjustments of the + really help cover some of the gap.

The best way I'd like to describe this.. it feels as if I went from a car who's entire suspension system felt like it was held together by thin rubber bands - to a car held together by tight leather straps. Does that make sense? I don't care, I'm sticking with it.

FANTASTIC!!

You hit the nail on the head, and glad you made the switch, as it makes a HUGE difference in the drive from a P to a P+.

I was wondering since you came out of a R8 how long that was going to take :cool:

a.gif

You guys really are killing me. I am having such a hard time not doing the same thing. But I have a Founder edition P85 and can't talk myself into getting rid of it because of the novelty of being an original. In one day I drove a P85+ loaner and a P85 without air suspension and saw that both were so superior to my suspension that it broke my heart. Night and day...

You guys really are killing me. I am having such a hard time not doing the same thing. But I have a Founder edition P85 and can't talk myself into getting rid of it because of the novelty of being an original. In one day I drove a P85+ loaner and a P85 without air suspension and saw that both were so superior to my suspension that it broke my heart. Night and day...
Upgrading the suspension might be your only option seeing as how you have such a rare model s!

I'm not sure I would jump right into a coil spring swap. There are fleas on that dog (getting Tesla to disable air or having to do "faker" electronics to get the air system happy).

I think I would start with the rear a-arm inner bushings and a good set of rubber. Longer upper links will help to put camber back to a more reasonable number. If you have an early car, you may very well have the first revision of sub-frame bushings. The only way to address that is to replace the sub-frame as Tesla does not sell bushings. I believe the assemblies (a-arms, links, sub-frames, etc.) come from the vendor with bushings installed so Tesla does not even list a separate part number for the bushings. I really wish they did as $50 in bushings makes a lot more sense than $550 for a P+ a-arm but then that is a different story.

I know there are plenty of similar threads, so I'll make this short and to the point. I owned a P85 for 6 weeks, and took delivery of a new P85+ earlier this week.

Tex is right.. the + makes a huge difference, especially to someone like myself who comes from a high end sports car background. Coming out of a V10 R8, the handling of the P85 left me really wanting more. The adjustments of the + really help cover some of the gap.

The best way I'd like to describe this.. it feels as if I went from a car who's entire suspension system felt like it was held together by thin rubber bands - to a car held together by tight leather straps. Does that make sense? I don't care, I'm sticking with it.

I also have an R8 V10 model and really want the better handling in the Model S. I thought I wanted to do the retrofit/upgrade to my P85, but due to the cost and compromises, I think I will likely give the wife my car and just order a new P85+ (she was strongly considering getting a Model S anyway, just didn't want/need the Performance option). I also don't want to butcher up a Signature series car, even if it is a Tesla installed upgrade.

I also have an R8 V10 model and really want the better handling in the Model S. I thought I wanted to do the retrofit/upgrade to my P85, but due to the cost and compromises, I think I will likely give the wife my car and just order a new P85+ (she was strongly considering getting a Model S anyway, just didn't want/need the Performance option). I also don't want to butcher up a Signature series car, even if it is a Tesla installed upgrade.
Sounds like a good idea considering that signature series are so rare and unique. Frankly I'm surprised the P85 + holds a candle to the R8 V10!

I'm not sure I would jump right into a coil spring swap. There are fleas on that dog (getting Tesla to disable air or having to do "faker" electronics to get the air system happy).

I think I would start with the rear a-arm inner bushings and a good set of rubber. Longer upper links will help to put camber back to a more reasonable number. If you have an early car, you may very well have the first revision of sub-frame bushings. The only way to address that is to replace the sub-frame as Tesla does not sell bushings. I believe the assemblies (a-arms, links, sub-frames, etc.) come from the vendor with bushings installed so Tesla does not even list a separate part number for the bushings. I really wish they did as $50 in bushings makes a lot more sense than $550 for a P+ a-arm but then that is a different story.

I think I like this initial path the best. Now I just need to find out if it is possible to just get the part and installation of that one piece from Tesla at a reasonable price. The rubber upgrade is easy. I would prefer to go with third party rims anyway because the current width of the rears for the P+ are a lame halfway attempt.

Did you trade up through Tesla, or sell your P85 and buy/order a new P85+?

Just curious!

If I have a nickel for every time someone asked about my rear... ;)

Anyway, they're coming to get the car again Thursday for a few different things including the rear tires. It's not AS BAD but I am noticing pretty heavy wear again on the inside edges of the rears. After almost another 5k (I'm at 11k now, new tires were put on at about 6500) I'd say the insides have worn 2X as much as the outside of the tire. I'll report back after service...

carrerascott,

I hate to ask personal questions but how are your rears doing these days :) I know you had a nasty early wear surprise.

- - - Updated - - -

That's what I figured, but thought I'd ask. Thanks!

I found a brand new P85+ and bought it. I sold the P85 privately, Tesla's offer for the trade was pathetic.

In your shoes, I would definitely do the underlined for basically exactly the multiple reasons you've listed.