Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Interior only available in black? Tan option no longer available :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Patn - in case you read this. Could you post a picture of your color combo? I was test driving this week-end with the wife and she decided (that's not my decision) on silver/gray because she was afraid the tan interior would clash with the silver exterior.

Thanks,
Lars

Lars,

i also have have a silver and tan and took a couple of photos.. But then found a link with more photos while getting back to this thread:

Silver exterior / tan interior

the tan tends to look a little more yellow in photos than in real life. I was going with silver/gray 100% until I went to the store and saw the tan in person. My wife immediately approved of the change and I'm very happy with the combo. I bought silver/gray in my last car and I ended up thinking it felt a little cold and lifeless by the time I traded up to the Tesla.

Lars,

i also have have a silver and tan and took a couple of photos.. But then found a link with more photos while getting back to this thread:

Silver exterior / tan interior

the tan tends to look a little more yellow in photos than in real life. I was going with silver/gray 100% until I went to the store and saw the tan in person. My wife immediately approved of the change and I'm very happy with the combo. I bought silver/gray in my last car and I ended up thinking it felt a little cold and lifeless by the time I traded up to the Tesla.

This was exactly our thought process for going with Silver exterior with a tan interior. We felt the grey looked dull while the tan gives a very nice warm ambience during the day time and even at night, if you go with the ambient lighting. IMHO tan shows the beautiful interior quite well. If you look at the Model S gallery on the Tesla Web site, pretty much all photos where you can see the interior shows the interior in tan. Having said that you should obviously go with what you like but go look at a silver/tan interior in person if you can. I think they go quite well together.

Just wish Tesla would hurry up and add a tan leather interior option to the P85D!

My guess is that the limiting factor on color for the P85D is the new seat design. If that is correct, and those new seats are only available in black for a while, I wonder if Tesla would let me get the rest of the interior in a standard color like tan, with the black seats. I could then get the seats recovered to a lighter color that either matched or had a nice contrast with the rest of the interior.

Just thinking out loud...

My guess is that the limiting factor on color for the P85D is the new seat design. If that is correct, and those new seats are only available in black for a while, I wonder if Tesla would let me get the rest of the interior in a standard color like tan, with the black seats. I could then get the seats recovered to a lighter color that either matched or had a nice contrast with the rest of the interior.

Just thinking out loud...

Be really careful if you are considering this as you don't want an air bag popping inside your new seat cover!

Yeah, this issue is honking me off big time too. I had ordered a P85+ with a tan interior, and really don't like the black interior. I'm hoping that I will have the ability to switch the interior before it's built, but certainly no guarantees or suggestions from Tesla that this will occur.

Last edited:
I placed an order for a P85D on 10/10 and spoke with my rep. a couple of days later about the black seats. He (and Mr. Guillen confirmed) that they are working on other colors for the seats but cannot comment on what colors or when they will make it to the P85D. So my rep moved my delivery date from 12/14 to 10/15. Once they can make the interior with tan leather, my order will be put back in line and I will get mine a couple of months later. Certainly worth waiting for. My current ICE (2012 Infiniti M hybrid) has black leather and it is plenty hot here in Virginia in the summer.

Two things: the ability to select tan for the trim other than the seats is coming very soon (days). Yes, the seats will still be black. Second, I live in VA as well. With tint, the black leather was always cool.

Yesterday, I got this in an e-mail from Tesla Fremont as a result of sending questions in a reply to their "Welcome to the Tesla Family!" e-mail after my order:

Thank you for your message and your amazing support. We are truly blessed to have great customers like you.

... It will be possible in a couple of days (I expect before the end of the week) to select 19” wheels for the P85D, rather than the recommended 21” (there will be an associated credit). Additional interiors colors, besides the black, will also be available.

This looks great for 19's and for my desire to have an interior other than black.

Yesterday, I got this in an e-mail from Tesla Fremont as a result of sending questions in a reply to their "Welcome to the Tesla Family!" e-mail after my order:
Thank you for your message and your amazing support. We are truly blessed to have great customers like you.

... It will be possible in a couple of days (I expect before the end of the week) to select 19” wheels for the P85D, rather than the recommended 21” (there will be an associated credit). Additional interiors colors, besides the black, will also be available.

This looks great for 19's and for my desire to have an interior other than black.

This is awesome news. Would love both the 19" and tan interior....

Offering a credit for downgrading to 19's is the right thing to do. Wish they'd done that when I ordered my Sig S with 19's, instead of the "no-cost downgrade" available at the time.