Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Lud upgrade. Is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just upgraded my P85 to a '15 P85D. Wondering if anyone has done the Lud upgrade and if they think it was worth the $5k? How long does it take? Does it impact your range negatively? Does it improve 60-80 acceleration on the freeway?

My experience has been that those who paid for the upgrade - 50% of them felt it was a worthwhile upgrade. Those who did not - about 10% wished they had and 90% were fine without.

Really depends on your personal driving style and type of driving you do most often. I would say I am an aggressive driver and love fast accelerations and stop-light "challenges" (safely of course). Most of my driving is city driving with some freeway action. I did not do the upgrade and never felt I needed more juice than Insane Mode provided.

Perhaps if you commute on a fast-flowing freeway daily at higher speeds where you need just a little extra pickup at high speeds it may be worth it as that was the biggest difference most people felt.

For my money, you would be better off spending the $5k on a set of lightweight wheels - you will notice significant improvements to lower-speed and higher-speed performance.

Good luck and enjoy your P85D!!

I just upgraded my P85 to a '15 P85D. Wondering if anyone has done the Lud upgrade and if they think it was worth the $5k? How long does it take? Does it impact your range negatively? Does it improve 60-80 acceleration on the freeway?

Unless something has changed, I don't think you will be eligible to receive the upgrade for $5K. I believe that offer was only for the original owner of the P85D. You might have to pay $10K for it if you want it.

It does not negatively impact your range if you don't use the Ludicrous capabilities. When you exceed what your car could do before it had Ludicrous, then yes, of course you will be using more energy.

It does improve 60-80 acceleration.

Good luck!

I drove a P90DL to get a sense for the speed, and after doing so opted not to do it with my P85D (Insane). The car is "insanely" quick enough already, and since I try to stay around 5mph over the speed limit around town (the car is flashy, no warnings in my future from cops), the extra few tenths wasn't worth it to me. $5000 buys a lot of tires, and my 21s are going fast.