Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Ludicrous Performance Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I think I'm just getting used to the performance (sadly) but sometimes I feel like there isn't much of a difference in my P85D after I got the Ludicrous upgrade a few months ago. I haven't done any track time nor do I have anything to record actual metrics so I'm sure I'm not an accurate judge.

But then a few days ago I was having fun with a 911 Turbo (not exactly sure of the year, but definitely less than 10 years old). He out-accelerated me from 50 to 100. Is that expected? Even with Ludicrous is this expected? I did have only about a 50% charge though.

Yes you get used to Ludicrous and then you can't tell much of a difference. That is why I go to the drags to determine exactly the difference. I got slightly more than .2 sec improvement both in the 1/8 and 1/4 mile drags.

You need about 90% charge for best results, 50% is way too low. Yes above 50 miles per hour a fast ICE will beat the Tesla.

So...not sure where to ask this question, but this thread seemed appropriate.

I bought a used P85DL last October and it is probably the best car I have owned...love driving it everyday. With that said, I found a used 90d MX this past spring for my wife and enjoy driving that from time to time.

After driving both for a while, I feel like the MX 90d has more power with less effort on the driver's pedal when I compare it to my P85DL. I have not tested anything out to confirm or deny my feelings, and I would say that my P85D is quicker, but it seems like I have to smash the pedal more to get the max performance. Am I going crazy?

Also, since I bought it used, the reason why I know it has the L upgrade is due to the badge on the rear of the car and the welcome screen on the dash. It also says ludicrous on the driving profile as well....not sure what else I can test to make sure it is fully activated.

Do I need to charge my car more to get better performance? I usually charge to 80% every night. Maybe I am going crazy...

Do I need to charge my car more to get better performance? I usually charge to 80% every night. Maybe I am going crazy...

85kWh battery only retains max performance for the first 10% and starts losing measurable horsepower at 90%. There's a thread that shows horsepower vs SOC somewhere, but off the top of my head it loses 7-15hp per 10% drop, so starting the day at 80% means you'd be down that small amount of power. 90 kWh packs retain full power a little past 90%, and 100kWh packs are still at full horsepower at 80%.

85kWh battery only retains max performance for the first 10% and starts losing measurable horsepower at 90%. There's a thread that shows horsepower vs SOC somewhere, but off the top of my head it loses 7-15hp per 10% drop, so starting the day at 80% means you'd be down that small amount of power. 90 kWh packs retain full power a little past 90%, and 100kWh packs are still at full horsepower at 80%.

Thats great info, thanks! It also accounts for why my 100D struggles to get past 110mph below 50ish% SOC and the power meter warnings get more and more frequent, it gets very current limited below 50%.

Last edited:

Thanks for heads up....looks like it was discussed quite a bit a few years ago...I have been charging to 80% as that has been the recommendation given on this forum....might start charging to 90% to get a little bit more oomph.

All lithium ion batteries lose power as their SOC drops...period. What drops is the voltage so so does the power.

There is no difference in the power curve between a 1500 amp 85 and V1 90. V2 90 and above are 1600 amps so they produce more power at ALL SOCs but their power still drops off proportionally based on SOC.

Also, the 90 battery is subject to the WOT counter so after a certain number of WOT launches, the V2 and newer batteries are limited to 1500 amps.

All lithium ion batteries lose power as their SOC drops...period. What drops is the voltage so so does the power.

There is no difference in the power curve between a 1500 amp 85 and V1 90. V2 90 and above are 1600 amps so they produce more power at ALL SOCs but their power still drops off proportionally based on SOC.

Also, the 90 battery is subject to the WOT counter so after a certain number of WOT launches, the V2 and newer batteries are limited to 1500 amps.

Did I hear they replace the battery after a certain number of WOTs?

But then a few days ago I was having fun with a 911 Turbo (not exactly sure of the year, but definitely less than 10 years old). He out-accelerated me from 50 to 100. Is that expected? Even with Ludicrous is this expected? I did have only about a 50% charge though.
A recent Porsche 991 Turbo S accellerates from 0-100km/u in 2.9s and that's almost identical to a Tesla in ludicrous mode. However, the Porsche specifications are often rather conservative, so it might be a little bit faster. The Porsche also keeps its acceleration, when speed increases. Being outrun by a Porsche Turbo is not a shame...

• Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl