TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

P85D Ludicrous Pre-Order Upgrade Available 9/25/15

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Whiplash, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Whiplash

Whiplash Member

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

3. taurusking

taurusking Member

Just wondering why upgraded cars won't get P90 badging? Is it difficult to remove P85D and do P90D?

4. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Because they're not upgrading the battery to a 90.

5. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Now we know what the parts cost to do the upgrade; $500.

6. yo mama

yo mama Member

Sweet baby Jesus, it's about time. And all for the low, low price of I don't care what it costs!

- - - Updated - - -

Done! Thanks for the heads up, Whiplash. I owe you a pint.

7. Whiplash

Whiplash Member

You're Welcome.

Pliny the Elder sounds great. :smile:

8. yo mama

yo mama Member

A wo/man after my own heart. I gravitate a little more often towards Sculpin or Racer 5 but I'm always happy when Pliny is on tap. If/when you're in Silicon Valley next, feel free to ping me.

9. thimel

thimel Member

Thanks. I've put down my deposit. Got to have that underline and the ludicrous Easter egg.

10. Eugene

Eugene Member

thank you sooo much. I have put deposit immediately!

11. JQ11

JQ11 Member

Take my money

12. George Parrott

What happened to "$5000 plus labor?" Is the $7500 now including the full install? Anybody know?

13. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

#13 andrewket, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    P85D ludicrous mode pre-order now online

Tesla is now accepting pre-order deposits for P85D ludicrous mode upgrades.

Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters LUDICROUS MODE ONLY (P85D) - PRE ORDER DEPOSIT

Retrofit your existing P85D from “INSANE” to “LUDICROUS”-level performance. This upgrade represents a significant increase in power over the already insane P85D.

The LUDICROUS speed option will be available as a retrofit to all P85D customers with original vehicle orders placed before 11am PST Friday 7/17. These cars will receive updated badging to P85D where the underline denotes the ludicrous upgrade.

*Customers are encouraged to pre-order the option. The pre-order will be registered in our system for logistic planning and priority listing once the deposit payment is transacted. The retrofit will be made available initially in Fremont to begin in the Q4 time frame. Additional Service Center hubs for the retrofit will be rolled out shortly after. Please note that the preferred Service Center you selected may not be prioritized as one of the hubs. Customers have the option to change your retrofit location once the list of Retrofit Service Centers are announced. The deposit amount will be applied to the final price of the retrofit at the Service Center when the installation is scheduled.

Edit: Ooops, it looks like I missed the other thread.

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Sounds like $2,500 labor to me.

15. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

The price isn't the half of it.

This says that anyone who ordered prior to the announcement is eligible.

I don't know about the US, but in the UK anyone who had a P85D reservation in the build queue but who hadn't commenced production was called up by Tesla Inside Sales who told them that they were not eligible for the retrofit, and that the only way to get ludicrous in their car would be to reconfigure it to be a P90DL by paying full price for ludicrous, taking a pack upgrade they might not have wanted, re-pricing the rest of their order to current design studio pricing, and potentially losing access to certain discontinued options as well.

So if you're a UK reservation holder who placed your P85D order in February 2015, but whose car was still not in production by July (which it wouldn't have been due to long RHD production delays), and you chose to reconfigure since you were told that was the only way, then you've had to pay £8300 for ludicrous, £2500 for the bigger pack, reconfiguring to new pricing probably added another £2000 or so given UK price movement earlier in the year, you lost your second charger, your next-gen or executive rear seats, and had to switch from "old blue" to "new blue".

But now it turns out you could have just kept the car you actually ordered and had the fuse retrofit after all.

Is that excrement I see flying towards the air blower?

16. yo mama

yo mama Member

FWIW, the link also says, "North America market only. Details for the Europe market, please contact: [email protected]."

Perhaps next time you Brits will think twice about taxation without representation.

17. sorka

sorka Active Member

Placed my order.

18. tstafford

tstafford Member

Money spent. Feels good to front Tesla some more money. I'd gone a month without having them holding any of my cash. Joke's aside. I am very pleased to see progress on this topic.

19. spentan

spentan Active Member

Considering I have 2 Xes on order, (Both for business, but I will be driving them for a few months while waiting for DMV, I think I'm going to forego this P85D upgrade.

If it had come out a month or so ago, I would've done it, but realistically with Q4 in Fremont and then other locations "shortly thereafter", I don't like my chances of getting it before my X.

And realistically, I don't know how much resale value it'll add to the vehicle, apart from someone looking to add it in the future shortly after purchase.