Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D & P90D - 2019.20.1 Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on 2019.16.2 with P90DL.

I've owned a 85D for a couple years before this one, and I gotta say for the past 1-2 years I can't name an update that added anything good (... and serious), apart from it showing exit numbers (which happened around August of last year).

I also dislike the new interface and the MCU seems to be getting slower... not just the MCU but apparently the car as well sometimes, haha (I know an update broke launch mode for P85D and P90D's).

Based on this I don't even know why I would ever accept an update to my car at this point...

I've got a 2015 P85D with V2019.16.2

I've only had it for 3 weeks now, and it was updated to 16.2 the day I got it so I've never seen the pre-updated software.

Just curious, did the streaming audio (slacker and tune in) work better in the past?
I've not been able to get slacker to work even once, and tune is is buffering 80% of the time so it's basically useless.
I've been assuming (hoping) that it's because the 3G service is super slow, so I'm going to update to the 4G LTE in a couple of weeks.
Hopefully it's just a speed issue and I don't have native apps that are unusable.

I've only had it for 3 weeks now, and it was updated to 16.2 the day I got it so I've never seen the pre-updated software.

Just curious, did the streaming audio (slacker and tune in) work better in the past?
I've not been able to get slacker to work even once, and tune is is buffering 80% of the time so it's basically useless.
I've been assuming (hoping) that it's because the 3G service is super slow, so I'm going to update to the 4G LTE in a couple of weeks.
Hopefully it's just a speed issue and I don't have native apps that are unusable.
Yeah, my guess is the 3G service. Try to connect the car to your home WiFi and see if it improves. That should be a good indication. I've never had issues with steaming. My car has 4G LTE

I have a 2016 P90D
AP1
Curreny on 2019.12.1.1

The software that I'm about to install is 2019.16.3.2
I've heard a lot of negative press about this especially from UK drivers. Just wondering what people's thoughts are. Should I update?

I have a 2016 P90D
AP1
Curreny on 2019.12.1.1

The software that I'm about to install is 2019.16.3.2
I've heard a lot of negative press about this especially from UK drivers. Just wondering what people's thoughts are. Should I update?
Well, 2019.12.x did not fix the Max Battery issue. Unless you have an "Insane" or "Ludicrous" S, it probably doesn't matter for you. I'd still update from 12.x though. I think 16.3.2 is ok. I don't know that i've heard anything bad about it from our P85/P90 crew. I'm on 16.2

Thanks for the reply. I drive in Insane mode. Get on average 375wh/mi (21 inch alloys). Are you a UK driver? If so, what about the restriction on the amount the wheel can turn and lane change restrictions (aborts after 5 seconds and doesnt work on A roads)

Forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by the max battery issue

Kinda interesting looking at teslafi that the majority of cars updated to 2019.20.1 but there's an updated version 2019.20.2.1 that seems to have a decent amount of P cars for the small sample of cars. Makes me wonder what wasn't working correctly in 2019.20.1

Kinda interesting looking at teslafi that the majority of cars updated to 2019.20.1 but there's an updated version 2019.20.2.1 that seems to have a large amount of P cars. Makes me wonder what wasn't working correctly in 2019.20.1
Yeah that's interesting. Wonder if it had anything to do with the spontaneous combustion issues :).

I'm a fairly new owner so don't have a lot of experience with firmware updates but doing some light research, it looks like update frequency has more than tripled between 2018 and 2019. Generally, change creates instability. I think we might be living that first hand.

I am still on 3G and Slacker works flawlessly, 98% of the time. Is your browser trying to update something labour intensive at the same time? Of course there is the possibility that your particular area does not support 3G as well as mine, as they may have moved more towers to LTE only.....

My issue with slacker is that it won't work unless you sign in. I've tried signing in with my Tesla account to no avail. I've created a new account but still nothing. It won't get past the sign in screen. It's not just a connectivity issue as it also won't work when I'm on wifi.
I like the tune in app, it just buffers so much that it's almost pointless. If I can get it to load something then it works fine, but I have to try again and again for upwards of 10-15 minutes before a podcast loads up. Half of the time I'm already where I was going by the time it loads.

Including the rated range after charging?

Yes. My March 2015 Ludicrous P85D+’s rated range at 90% has remained at 223 miles for quite some time charging at home and at Superchargers. Earlier this month I charged to 99% / ~ 249 miles using our High Power Wall Connector set to 60A (on 100A / 240V circuit) just before leaving on a long road trip (I didn’t want to wait for 100%). This was very close to my P85DL’s 257 mile original range which is IMHO impressive after 48,000 miles.

I don’t know if it’s related to this firmware, but on my first drive after the upgrade I was treated with this.

Attachments

• D13336A3-FF81-4847-ABA5-60123295418B.jpeg
    D13336A3-FF81-4847-ABA5-60123295418B.jpeg
    315.2 KB · Views: 102