Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D (pre/post April) ride performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Damn....I have to get my hands on one to drive....right now I'm pretty sure it will be the p90dl for more reasons than just suspension.

I have one of the "unicorn" Early 2015 Model S P85D's (Insane not Ludicrous) with the Plus "sport" suspension, non-staggered (a.k.a. "square") 21" Turbine wheels and Continental ContiSportContact 5P tires if you want to feel how the "Plus" suspension feels. Personally I LOVE it... but I came from a 2006 Corvette Z06 that definitely was a race track ready sport suspension.

Locate in South Orange County

I have one of the "unicorn" Early 2015 Model S P85D's (Insane not Ludicrous) with the Plus "sport" suspension, non-staggered (a.k.a. "square") 21" Turbine wheels and Continental ContiSportContact 5P tires if you want to feel how the "Plus" suspension feels. Personally I LOVE it... but I came from a 2006 Corvette Z06 that definitely was a race track ready sport suspension.

Locate in South Orange County
Love to trade you lunch for a test drive!

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
if you want a car with stiffer suspension, than the earlier p85d is the right car and i can definitely feel a difference in ride/handling but i can say a lot of people will find it less comfortable.
That's the problem right there...it's all subjective until I actually ride in a pre-april p85d. I'm sick of getting beat up by my Benz so I think at this point I would prefer a softer ride. I know I'll never end up on a track or trying to corner at 60 so I can probably live with the softer, more gentle (is this a suspension talk or a laxative commercial?) ride on the newer suspension.

• Funny
Reactions: dark cloud
That's the problem right there...it's all subjective until I actually ride in a pre-april p85d. I'm sick of getting beat up by my Benz so I think at this point I would prefer a softer ride. I know I'll never end up on a track or trying to corner at 60 so I can probably live with the softer, more gentle (is this a suspension talk or a laxative commercial?) ride on the newer suspension.

if you thought the sl550 suspension was too harsh, the pre-april p85d is probably worse

Fellow member BrokerDon was kind enough to let me drive his pre-May P85D with plus suspension (He even found an awesome "P85D+ badge for the back of his car).

First - it is NOT too harsh if you are used to sports cars. It MAY be too harsh if you are a frail, elderly person who has always driven Caddilacs...

Second - who would want to drive a high powered boat anywhere but on the open water? I can't imagine trying to stick a high powered manoeuvre at 85-90 with soft suspension.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
I have a Fsb 2015 build P85D with this "unicorn" suspension and I personally don't like it all that much. Fortunately, or unfortunately it's been in service for a few weeks now and I've had a 2016 pre-lift P90DL and I think this suspension is much better. With mine I can still take turns at Mach speeds and not lift a wheel. But I like being able to coast on the highway and not be feeling every bump on the road. Call me crazy...

You're definitely not crazy, it's not for everyone.

But it's not a "unicorn suspension". It's the suspension from the P85+ installed on thousands of P85Ds made over a several month period.. and it is not rare or hard to find.

Note even remotely true. I've had three P85+ loaners and they were all like Cadillacs by comparison. The P85+ is perfect for aggressive street driving. Firm. Compliant over minor bumps. A thrill to drive.

The + on the Pre April P85D is go cart stiff beyond reason and would only be useful on a smooth track.

NONE of the suspension related part number on the P85+ match those of the P85D pre april.

Note even remotely true. I've had three P85+ loaners and they were all like Cadillacs by comparison. The P85+ is perfect for aggressive street driving. Firm. Compliant over minor bumps. A thrill to drive.

The + on the Pre April P85D is go cart stiff beyond reason and would only be useful on a smooth track.

NONE of the suspension related part number on the P85+ match those of the P85D pre april.

I'm sorry, but you can't say that something is"not even remotely true " based on your 100% subjective opinion.

Nothing I said is my opinion. The + suspension on the P85D is essentially the same, even though the part numbers are different because of the move to dual motors.

And as far as subjective opinions go, I've owned and driven both my P85+ and P85D more than 40k miles each, and I would say the handling and performance are nearly identical, even allowing for the difference the front motor adds.