Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D (pre/post April) ride performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never been at the Glen in a road car so I have no clue. One of the last times I was there, a buddy and I were knocking on the door of the outright track lap record (I think I was in the high 1:36s). We missed it by a half second or so then the Indy cars returned and all hope was lost :(

WRT Model S, the air springs are just that, springs. Dampers are the same design coil or air. I moved my P+ from air to coil just to keep the valving of the P+ front dampers and get rid of the squishy air springs. My PD feels perfect on air just the way it is.

• Informative
Reactions: DIL
Wow thanks to this TMC Forum I just discovered that our "inventory" 2015 P85D we bought in July 2015 was a February 2015 build... which included the sportier 1030608-01-A air shocks, heavier sway bar and air modules. What a great surprise... and confirmed my feeing our P85D suspension was sportier than the P90D we test drove.

Coming from a VERY sporty 2006 Corvette Z06 our P85D's suspension is perfect. Yes its more "jiggly" than the later build "standard" suspensions but definitely preferred by sports car guys like me.

Attachments

• Suspension2.PNG
    Suspension2.PNG
    31.9 KB · Views: 337
Another data point on the P85D loaner I've had for a few days:

Sticker on door jamb shows 12/2014 date
front bar appears to be 26mm per my calipers

I have an August 2013 P85+ and will measure its front bar when I Get it back from service.

When I drove the loaner off the lot I felt it was more firm that my P85+ and immediately thought of this thread. A greater percentage of road bumps are felt across the board. It doesn't feel like sway bars are the culprit to me, but dampers. I happened to take a test drive with the tech on my car on the bumpy roads in front of the Dallas service center right before I left in the P85D so I had a nice back-to-back test. Both cars are on 21" PS2s. My wife said she felt it was definitely bumpier as well. The difference isn't huge though and I suspect is less than the difference between an S85 and a P85+.

The drive experience in the P85D does feel flatter, and I have to admit, it seems more like a full on sport package. Surprisingly, even though I have complained about my P85+'s ride, in some ways I like the P85D more. Maybe it is the power, or perhaps the greater commitment to simply being "sporty" vs. somewhere in between. Interesting nonetheless.

Just measured the front bar on my 08/13 P85+. Looks to be 23 mm (give or take a fraction of a mm...easy to move the calipers a 1/4 mm or so either way as you remove them from bar). Regardless, that's a solid 3mm less than the early 12/14 P85D loaner's bar I had.

Still these are only one part of the equation and I still suspect the dampers are making as much, if not more, of the difference here. As an aside, does anyone have the measurement of an older RWD S85 and P85 front bar? I would be interested to see the delta between it and the P85+ (assuming there is one).

Wow thanks to this TMC Forum I just discovered that our "inventory" 2015 P85D we bought in July 2015 was a February 2015 build... which included the sportier 1030608-01-A air shocks, heavier sway bar and air modules. What a great surprise... and confirmed my feeing our P85D suspension was sportier than the P90D we test drove.

Coming from a VERY sporty 2006 Corvette Z06 our P85D's suspension is perfect. Yes its more "jiggly" than the later build "standard" suspensions but definitely preferred by sports car guys like me.
What is the size of your front sway bar? How can I tell which air spring module is on my car? I'm trying to find out if I have plus suspension components installed on my 85D by mistake.

What is the size of your front sway bar? How can I tell which air spring module is on my car? I'm trying to find out if I have plus suspension components installed on my 85D by mistake.

Sorry I'm not sure what my front sway bar size is.

Here is the picture of my P85D front air "Plus" suspension module which is the "Plus" suspension according to post #7 of this link

Attachments

• P85D+ front air spring module - DM SS 1030608-01-A (P85+ sport suspension).jpeg
    P85D+ front air spring module - DM SS 1030608-01-A (P85+ sport suspension).jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 248
I had a P85+ before my 2014 P85D and the suspension felt almost the same. I drove a P90D loaner and it was more supple, less sporty feeling but still agile. I prefer my P85D with the P85+ suspension when it's only me in the car. When my family is with me, the P90D softer feeling loaner would be nice. I have SAS.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Well known and common problem with the P85D and P90D cars:

Front vibration when accelerating - accelerometer graphs....

I've already had my front cv/axles replaced twice. The second time they were replaced with a revised part number. My service writer said she saw the revised part next to the old one and that the new one is considerably beefier. It's my guess that the revised part is what goes in the P100D to handle the extra power.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Oh, I also wanted to add that yesterday I finally got the 21" Sotozero winter tires off my P85D(+) and put on new Hankook Ventus V12 evo2s. WOW! It's like driving a completely different car... I finally have back the sublime suspension feel from the P85+ I sold. It's like taking the first bite of a perfectly cooked filet mignon when all you've eaten all winter is ground chuck.