Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D sighting / test drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had my P85D test drive. Wow! The M5 is no longer better around a corner or curve, no longer faster, no longer quicker. It is only louder with a tuned speaker system. The Tesla fish tailing/ squirm with high acceleration is no where to be felt in the new car. No tire screech with 50 mph turns.

I felt in complete control every second. This compares to high anxiety and fighting to keep control in my brother's GTR which has the same 3.2 0-60 time.

Better fit and finish than my 2+ year old car. Better visors. Better ride quality with acceleration as above. I like the extra Alcanterra on the dash. The black headliner is great for a black or grey interior.

No Signature Red though, so what is a guy to do?

Coming home I saw how beautiful Tesseract is even in the garage light. There can be only one.

I didn't have one to hand, though I think it'd be tight for domestic US size and no for the larger international flight ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Mike, is the frunk. large enough to hold a standard airline carry on bag---that way my wife can have the entire trunk for her bags when we travel?

I didn't have one to hand, though I think it'd be tight for domestic US size and no for the larger international flight ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Just had my P85D test drive. Wow! The M5 is no longer better around a corner or curve, no longer faster, no longer quicker. It is only louder with a tuned speaker system. The Tesla fish tailing/ squirm with high acceleration is no where to be felt in the new car. No tire screech with 50 mph turns.

I felt in complete control every second. This compares to high anxiety and fighting to keep control in my brother's GTR which has the same 3.2 0-60 time.

Better fit and finish than my 2+ year old car. Better visors. Better ride quality with acceleration as above. I like the extra Alcanterra on the dash. The black headliner is great for a black or grey interior.

No Signature Red though, so what is a guy to do?

Coming home I saw how beautiful Tesseract is even in the garage light. There can be only one.

Hi William. I completely agree with your handling comments. That was the largest surprise to impress me. The desperate clawing for, and succeeding to quickly gain, acceleration is very pleasing and made it feel more like a GTR thank an MS.

i failed to mention the Alcanterra. I found it a little overwhelming at first and wonder how well this will work with the carbon fiber I will have.

@ mikebur, the Alcanterra looked great but it was dark outside. This is a matter of taste. I liked the interior look of black Alcanterra headliner, extended Nappa leather, and carbon fiber that I saw. It was paired with black leather but I think it would also go very well with the grey leather.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Hi William. I completely agree with your handling comments. That was the largest surprise to impress me. The desperate clawing for, and succeeding to quickly gain, acceleration is very pleasing and made it feel more like a GTR thank an MS.

i failed to mention the Alcanterra. I found it a little overwhelming at first and wonder how well this will work with the carbon fiber I will have.

In what way did it feel overwhelming? I have the black alcantera with black seats and matte obeche. Wasn't really sure about the alcantera being on the dashboard. I thought leather or even the mock leather might be more tasteful, but I have never seen it in real life.

Interesting
From RambiE over on TM
"I know it borders with blasphemy on this forum, but after test driving a P85D this afternoon, I felt pretty good about my 1 year old P85 and lost any thought of trading it in. While the D seems to be faster, the difference hasn't been that dramatic... It didn't make my P feel slow, as I was afraid it would. Also, the front motor whine is very noticeable - the D is louder at any speed. My son liked it and thought it sounded like a jet, I didn't... Frunk is tiny now - as big as a 911 trunk... Seats are terrific for sure - much improved. Bottom line, I think I'll wait for the new S whenever it comes out, or for the X.I'm good for now! :)"

The P85D has landed in New York City. I took it for a spin this morning along the West Side Highway. Luckily traffic was light and the open roads were ideal for a test drive.

I'm a long time Roadster owner, and although I've had a few days with loaners I haven't spent an extensive amount of time in a Model S. My previous car before the Roadster was a BMW M6.

The first thing I noticed were the new performance seats - they're a big step up from the standard Model S seats with much better lateral support and feel closer to my old M6. Too bad they're only available on the P85D for now.

The suspension also feels more like an M6 than the standard air suspension. I haven't driven a P85+ but I assume it's the same suspension carried over to the P85D.

The acceleration off the line really is insane, and a lot quicker than the Roadster. What I noticed most was the consistency of the acceleration. The Roadster launch can be hit or miss depending on road conditions and grip as the TC cuts in and out. The P85D launches on rails, every time.

Punching it at highway speeds doesn't have the same visceral g-force as a standing start, but it's no slouch. Passing is a smooth and controlled point and shoot.

The front motor whine was noticeable on acceleration but it didn't bother me. It's still a lot quieter than the Jetson's turbine whirr of the Roadster gear box (which I love!)

Overall I'd still rank the Roadster as more fun to drive than the P85D. It may not be as fast or comfortable, but it's more nimble and has a tight, raw connection to the road, sort like like riding an old wooden roller coaster compared to the steel rails of the P85D.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
In what way did it feel overwhelming? I have the black alcantera with black seats and matte obeche. Wasn't really sure about the alcantera being on the dashboard. I thought leather or even the mock leather might be more tasteful, but I have never seen it in real life.

It was the suede feel on the dashboard that was overkill for me. The headliner/roof was was of an issue though I wonder how well the suede dash will hold up to multiple cleanings, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

It was the suede feel on the dashboard that was overkill for me. The headliner/roof was not much of an issue though I wonder how well the suede dash will hold up to multiple cleanings, etc.
edited to state headliner is *not* much of an issue - any way to edit existing posts in line? apologies - still a noob here ;-)

edited to state headliner is *not* much of an issue - any way to edit existing posts in line? apologies - still a noob here ;-)

Normally, you should see an EDIT POST button next to REPLY on your own posts.

However, this may not become available until you make 10 posts or so. The forum is actually quite restrictive in the beginning.

That being said, it's still an awesome place to be. Welcome to TMC, Mike!

The P85D has landed in New York City. I took it for a spin this morning along the West Side Highway. Luckily traffic was light and the open roads were ideal for a test drive.

I'm a long time Roadster owner, and although I've had a few days with loaners I haven't spent an extensive amount of time in a Model S. My previous car before the Roadster was a BMW M6.

The first thing I noticed were the new performance seats - they're a big step up from the standard Model S seats with much better lateral support and feel closer to my old M6. Too bad they're only available on the P85D for now.

The suspension also feels more like an M6 than the standard air suspension. I haven't driven a P85+ but I assume it's the same suspension carried over to the P85D.

The acceleration off the line really is insane, and a lot quicker than the Roadster. What I noticed most was the consistency of the acceleration. The Roadster launch can be hit or miss depending on road conditions and grip as the TC cuts in and out. The P85D launches on rails, every time.

Punching it at highway speeds doesn't have the same visceral g-force as a standing start, but it's no slouch. Passing is a smooth and controlled point and shoot.

The front motor whine was noticeable on acceleration but it didn't bother me. It's still a lot quieter than the Jetson's turbine whirr of the Roadster gear box (which I love!)

Overall I'd still rank the Roadster as more fun to drive than the P85D. It may not be as fast or comfortable, but it's more nimble and has a tight, raw connection to the road, sort like like riding an old wooden roller coaster compared to the steel rails of the P85D.

View attachment 65996
View attachment 65997
View attachment 65998

That's very funny. I just left from a test drive at the NYC location. That was probably you in the waiting area as I was getting a coffee! The test drive was really great, my neck hurts. The one thing I am curious about, I couldn't get the kwh about about 440 maybe 450 tops. I realize a full charge might improve things....this was about 1/2 battery charge. Still...that about 65kwh away from the max 515 they state. Wonder what difference the full charge makes. What a great ride though...awesome

@winterlee if you had 450kw at half charge that is at least to me quite impressive. Remember that the 515 is the max theoretical output of the two engines combined. I would personally be pleased if the speedos 480kw was possible, and that seems likely now. I dont really think we will ever see the full 515 all at once.

but to all test-drivers out there: please take pictures of the frunk with something actually in it:smile: still very curious to see it with something that gives a reference size-wise.

P85D sighting in California: was in my Roadster northbound on the 101 crossing the Golden Gate Bridge and there was a grey P85D ahead of me. As I passed him I tried to catch his eye but he did not notice me. I moved in front of him and he followed me for several miles and then I exited at San Anselmo, he kept going.

Being so low in the Roadster, I could only see the tops of the seats. ;-) I did notice the rear seat headrests were the new taller style but I could not determine if the seats were the next gen Recaros or not.

That's very funny. I just left from a test drive at the NYC location. That was probably you in the waiting area as I was getting a coffee! The test drive was really great, my neck hurts. The one thing I am curious about, I couldn't get the kwh about about 440 maybe 450 tops. I realize a full charge might improve things....this was about 1/2 battery charge. Still...that about 65kwh away from the max 515 they state. Wonder what difference the full charge makes. What a great ride though...awesome

Ha - sorry about that! The battery was 2/3 charge when I started and about half by the time I pulled back into the store. Punching it sucks back a lot of electrons! :)

To be honest I didn't even look at the power meter, I was having too much fun watching the world turn into a blur. No doubt a full battery would be even better, I notice my Roadster is zippier at full charge than at half.

but to all test-drivers out there: please take pictures of the frunk with something actually in it still very curious to see it with something that gives a reference size-wise.

It'll fit one duffel bag, and that's about it.

We need someone to have an accelerometer on when punching it. I'd love to know the G force when you launch.

Anyone use an iPhone apps for this yet? I'm thinking this is actually just simple math, though.

My dash cam has a 3-axis accelerometer. I pulled the data from it to measure a P85 launch once. I have a new one of them to immediately install in the P85D if/when I ever get it...

P85-accel-graph.png

This was a slightly uphill launch on my P85, nearly 1G... (Purple line is Front to Back acceleration)... it ends with some full regen for a moment