Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D Ludicrous 1/4 mile time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thx.

If you're using the technique of hard launches, and hard driving to warm the battery as opposed to selecting the Max Battery option, how many launches do you need, or how much driving do you have to do before you are at or close to the optimum battery temperature for your best results?

Also, is there any way to tell when you're just about at that point?

I've never tested how many launches it has taken to reach it. I've been happy enough with the acceleration at all speeds that I just go with what it gives me. I think I was still in the 3.0-3.1s range without optimal temperature so the temp increase just drops it by a fraction of a second.

One way to see if it is ready is to go into the option to turn on max power and click it. If it says "Ready" right away then you've in the right temperature range, but if you're too hot or too cold it will say "Preparing...".

Clearly I could be totally wrong about all of this because I have no real information about the option other than my experience with it.

Just wanted to chime in here about how much I appreciate the postings by Burt Reynolds, Pete90D and Sorka showing real measured data. I have a loaded P90DL on order and as a retired engineer I look forward to measuring performance on my car. It looks like I need to order a Vbox before the car is delivered in December. One great thing that will come out of these measurements is to see how much they change over the life of the car. Hope to contribute with my own measurements shortly after delivery if I can find some dry pavement in the middle of winter!

Isn't this fun?:smile:
I will gather some additional data on Sunday. I can journey a relatively short distance to a stretch of road that is very flat, and for the most part conducive to driving swiftly. I suspect that the launches will be compromised by the thin layer of dust that gathers on this particular road, but it's otherwise very flat and suitable for 1/4 mile runs.

Are there any other parameters that are of interest to the Tesla community? I'm happy to take requests!

I will gather some additional data on Sunday. I can journey a relatively short distance to a stretch of road that is very flat, and for the most part conducive to driving swiftly. I suspect that the launches will be compromised by the thin layer of dust that gathers on this particular road, but it's otherwise very flat and suitable for 1/4 mile runs.

Are there any other parameters that are of interest to the Tesla community? I'm happy to take requests!

Can you upload the files to vbox verify to show up specific numbers for the runs? 2.8 is really in the 2.7s so I'd like to know how far below 2.8 you got. Also that 1/4 mile time could be better than what's on the screen. At least in my experience the pbox always rounds up on screen so that 2.8 might be a 2.71

If he could cut a 1.6 60', (which lots of P85D's have done) that would shave 2 tenths off of his time. That puts him at 11.0 right there. 1 tenth could be air density, tire pressure, or any number of things.

Is there a reference to the 1.6s 60'?

Looking at the VBOX file for my best run

0-60 3.07
60' 1.93

0-60 2.81 (with 1ft)
60' 1.67 (with 1ft)

The P85D can't do 2.8s 0-60 so I'm not sure how it would do a 1.6 60'. I hit 30mph in 28.83ft (without 1ft), 41.57mph at 60ft (without 1ft). So I'm already in the P90D's sweet spot for power for 30-60 ft

0-100mph

1/4 mile ET and speed at 1/4 mile.

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a reference to the 1.6s 60'?

Looking at the VBOX file for my best run

0-60 3.07
60' 1.93

0-60 2.81 (with 1ft)
60' 1.67 (with 1ft)

The P85D can't do 2.8s 0-60 so I'm not sure how it would do a 1.6 60'. I hit 30mph in 28.83ft (without 1ft), 41.57mph at 60ft (without 1ft). So I'm already in the P90D's sweet spot for power for 30-60 ft

The P85D can do 1.6xx 60ft times.

Check Dragtimes

There are also YouTube videos of P85Ds cutting 1.6xx second 60s.

Also, you mention that you're able to hit 41.57mph at just 60 feet.

This is us of interest to me, as I've seen you mention something similar before. I wonder because the one P90D Ludicrous we have actual time slips for, shows a best of 94.33 mph at 660 ft or at 1/8 mile.

If you're hitting 41.57 mph at just 60 feet, I'm wondering why it would take another 600 feet to pick up the other 52 plus mph.

In other words, this makes me wonder what happens after about 45 mph, and also what happens after 60mph.

Last edited:
If you're hitting 41.57 mph at just 60 feet, I'm wondering why it would take another 600 feet to pick up the other 52 plus mph.

In other words, this makes me wonder what happens after about 45 mph, and also what happens after 60mph.

Probably nothing as significant as it sounds.

As the speed is much higher after 60 feet, for the same amount time the distance is 3 to 4 times more. Plus the speed increase is more than double so you could be looking at 300 feet if the rate of acceleration was exactly the same (with respect to time ie 1s 20mph, 2s 40 mph, 3s 60 mph). You have to think area under a straight line with the Y axis speed and the x axis time/

Then factor in that acceleration tails off at higher speeds for various reasons. Ie its not a straight line but a curve.

The reverse is true with braking. Roughly speaking you cover the same distance to slow down from say 70 to 50 as you do from 50 to a stop. Its why safety people bang on about stopping distances so much.

Also, you mention that you're able to hit 41.57mph at just 60 feet.

This is us of interest to me, as I've seen you mention something similar before. I wonder because the one P90D Ludicrous we have actual time slips for, shows a best of 94.33 mph at 660 ft or at 1/8 mile.

Looking at the VBOX data, without 1ft rollout, I hit 60.23mph in 144.34ft.

Probably nothing as significant as it sounds.

As the speed is much higher after 60 feet, for the same amount time the distance is 3 to 4 times more. Plus the speed increase is more than double so you could be looking at 300 feet if the rate of acceleration was exactly the same (with respect to time ie 1s 20mph, 2s 40 mph, 3s 60 mph). You have to think area under a straight line with the Y axis speed and the x axis time/

Then factor in that acceleration tails off at higher speeds for various reasons. Ie its not a straight line but a curve.

The reverse is true with braking. Roughly speaking you cover the same distance to slow down from say 70 to 50 as you do from 50 to a stop. Its why safety people bang on about stopping distances so much.

Speed tails off, but the power boost is supposed to be after 30mph and you can feel that extra power is there when you decelerate to 30 and punch it. So even though it's only ~12mph more to get to 60ft that should happen faster than a P85D, which is why I was curious where it was documented.

would be good data to get the 60-130 MPH time, compare it against what I got in the P90DL (12.1) and my P85D.... you can set the vbox to show this on the display or just do a run 40-130+ MPH and upload to vboxtools.com to get the 60-130 MPH time...+

tesla says a 20% decrease in time to 155 MPH, but 60-130 MPH would be a good comparison...

would be good data to get the 60-130 MPH time, compare it against what I got in the P90DL (12.1) and my P85D.... you can set the vbox to show this on the display or just do a run 40-130+ MPH and upload to vboxtools.com to get the 60-130 MPH time...+

tesla says a 20% decrease in time to 155 MPH, but 60-130 MPH would be a good comparison...

fiksegts, with your Vbox, what did you get for 60-130mph in the P85D?

I've taken a look at your other videos for the P85D and the P90D featuring the Vbox. I've also read your other posts with regard to vBox results that you've gotten with the P90D Ludicrous. Dragtimes P90D Ludicrous 0-60mph and 0-100mph video - Page 5

Tesla Model S P90D Ludicrous Mode 0-60 MPH in 2.85 seconds and 0-100 MPH in 7.7 seconds Test Results - YouTube

Tesla Model S P85D v6.2 with Performance Update Testing 0-60 MPH in 3.05 Seconds - YouTube

Thanks.

Last edited:

Probably too late for your Sunday runs but I would like to see G-Force charts similar to what Sorka has posted.

Just did this run on a perfectly flat road.

Tesla Model S P90D 1/4 mile - YouTube

The G reading was 1.06.

Nice. ETs consistent with what we see at the track. The exit speed of 119 is also probably consistent with the 116's we see at the drag strip. I'm assuming the pbox measures the 1/4 time speed at exactly the 1/4 mile. If so, it will always be higher than a drag strip exit speed because at the strip, the exit speed is the average speed between the 1/4 and 66 feet before the 1/4 mile.

Just did this run on a perfectly flat road.

Tesla Model S P90D 1/4 mile - YouTube

The G reading was 1.06.

Are you able to use the VBOX software to show us graphs and get other data out of the file? If not can you send it to me or sorka so we can see how it matches with other data we have? Mine is my username at gmail.

- - - Updated - - -

Isnt that more or less 1:1 with the results from fiksegts/dragtimes?

are you still at high altitude?

It should be slightly less. My experience with the Pbox is that it rounds up so 11.3 should be in the 11.2s, and I think the best otherwise was 11.3X

Are you able to use the VBOX software to show us graphs and get other data out of the file? If not can you send it to me or sorka so we can see how it matches with other data we have? Mine is my username at gmail.

- - - Updated - - -

It should be slightly less. My experience with the Pbox is that it rounds up so 11.3 should be in the 11.2s, and I think the best otherwise was 11.3X

If I'm following you correctly, then the 1.7 60ft time would really be 1.6xxx?

If so, then that's going to be about as good as it gets on street tires. And if that's the case, well then any chance at the high 10s is going to have to come at the top end since cutting a 1.5xx 60 on cold street tires would be a very tall order. And that's probably understatement.

As Sorka already indicated, trap speeds on a drag strip are measured starting at a point 66ft in front of the finish line and to the finish line. Or in other words, the zone which starts 66ft before the finish. I agree that this speed would likely be lower than the GPS speed measured by the performance box. Thus "real world on the street", the P90D with ludicrous covers a standing quarter mile at a little over 119 mph.