Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90DL v3 vs. P100D (worth a 1 year wait?)

What would you do?

• Buy the P90DL now

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Wait 1 year & get a P100D (assuming prices will fall enough)

Votes: 20 71.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone,

Is the acceleration difference that noticeable between the P90D ludicrous (v2 or v3 battery) vs the P100D. I’ve watched the videos on YouTube, and it looks quite close.

I was going to pull the trigger on a P90DL, but could potentially wait till end of 2019 in case P100D prices will fall. My budget would be $70-75K max. I’m currently driving a toyota SUV which is mind-numbingly boring to drive .

What do you think P100D prices will be by the end of the year, & is it worth waiting 1 year for instead? Thank you!

Whatever you do, would make sure the car you get has the AP2 hardware. That will allow you to benefit from all the latest features of AP and full self driving if it ever comes available. With the latest updates, AP1 is falling behind. Up until the Nav on AP feature, they were about equal. Nav on AP is the first major feature that separates the two hardware versions. All future features, such as self parking, etc will only be released to AP2 equipped cars. So, if AP is important to you, would be sure to keep that in mind in your search.

AP2 came out on late 2016 models. Key tell is the camera in the door pillar. AP1 cars do not have that camera. So if you're searching online, check the photos. All 2017 and later cars have AP2.

Let me offer you a completely different way to look a this...

At the end of the year P100Ds will be around $75K BUT let's look at this scenario...

You can now buy a CPO P85D with a 4 year CPO warranty for right around $50K or the low 50s. I say you buy that car NOW so you can enjoy a Tesla with the performance acceleration and AP1 is still quite capable.

Now you have $25K that you "saved" by buying the P85D. Invest that money in Tesla stock or invest it some other way or heck just sit on that that $25K.

Hold on to your P85D for 3.5 years and you can then sell it with 6 months of CPO warranty remaining for the low to mid 20s. Let's say you get $22.5K for it.

Now you add the $25K that you "saved" and you are sitting on nearly $50K of cash. Add another $25K to it and you can buy a 2019 performance Model S with AP3, the interior refresh that is just around the corner, and any other performance of battery upgrades that will be delivered this year.

So at the end of 3.5 years you would have enjoyed 3.5 years of driving a very capable P85D and then at the end of the 3.5 years you get an upgrade to a 2019 performance Model S with all the impending interior refresh goodies. If you put that $25K that you "saved" in Tesla stock, I bet stock appreciation will more than pay for the cost difference in upgrading.

So, to answer your question, I had a P90DL v3 for 2 years. The P100D is a whole 'nother animal. It's quite a bit faster. The P90DL is closer to the new 100D In acceleration.

Thanks for this comparison. That's interesting, I presumed it would not be that much of a difference between those two. I was told there is a great difference between an insane P85D and the P100D, but did not think the P90DL would be that far off.

If it's closer to the 100D in acceleration, does that mean my P85D and 100D are even closer? Looking at the acceleration charts/numbers, you would think the 85D and 100D should be closest together.

Is the acceleration difference that noticeable between the P90D ludicrous (v2 or v3 battery) vs the P100D. I’ve watched the videos on YouTube, and it looks quite close.

There is another in my view more pressing way to look at this:

The 90 kWh battery is widely considered a worse battery when it comes to degradation than Tesla’s preceding 85 kWh or later 100 kWh batteries. I highly recommend reading up on his topic before deciding on a 90 kWh Tesla.

Also as you not there are three versions of the 90 kWh battery partly because another issue was meeting announced performance specs. Version 3 has the best performance but all versions seem to be susceptible to the degradation issues and none really reached announced specs if research online is any proof.

I consider P100D a significantly better car due to this compared to any 90 kWh one.

Let me offer you a completely different way to look a this...

At the end of the year P100Ds will be around $75K BUT let's look at this scenario...

You can now buy a CPO P85D with a 4 year CPO warranty for right around $50K or the low 50s. I say you buy that car NOW so you can enjoy a Tesla with the performance acceleration and AP1 is still quite capable.

Now you have $25K that you "saved" by buying the P85D. Invest that money in Tesla stock or invest it some other way or heck just sit on that that $25K.

Hold on to your P85D for 3.5 years and you can then sell it with 6 months of CPO warranty remaining for the low to mid 20s. Let's say you get $22.5K for it.

Now you add the $25K that you "saved" and you are sitting on nearly $50K of cash. Add another $25K to it and you can buy a 2019 performance Model S with AP3, the interior refresh that is just around the corner, and any other performance of battery upgrades that will be delivered this year.

So at the end of 3.5 years you would have enjoyed 3.5 years of driving a very capable P85D and then at the end of the 3.5 years you get an upgrade to a 2019 performance Model S with all the impending interior refresh goodies. If you put that $25K that you "saved" in Tesla stock, I bet stock appreciation will more than pay for the cost difference in upgrading.

This

Thanks for this comparison. That's interesting, I presumed it would not be that much of a difference between those two. I was told there is a great difference between an insane P85D and the P100D, but did not think the P90DL would be that far off.

If it's closer to the 100D in acceleration, does that mean my P85D and 100D are even closer? Looking at the acceleration charts/numbers, you would think the 85D and 100D should be closest together.

I think it’s difficult to answer this for 2 reasons. I haven’t driven a P85 and second the 100D underwent an upgrade in terms of 0-60 so it depends what age of 100D.

Further, Tesla claimed 0-60 and actual differ because Tesla is slightly sandbagging he 100D results to encourage people to.buy the P1000.

The P100D is ferocious. About 2.3 sec 0-60 in reality. To the point that in the rain the car went a little sideways when accelerating on the freeway from 40mph!

P90D is about 3.2

100D is I think around 3.7

DragTimes has a nice video on this.

• Informative
Reactions: Litigate28