Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't like the req't of launch mode and waiting for max battery power mode to reach temperature either (so I don't do it), but in basic Ludicrous mode getting 549kW at 88% SOC seems to be only down ~26kW from the best reported battery power numbers with max batt power and launch mode at >90% SOC. My VBOX-measured 0-60 time of 2.6 sec is off a couple tenths from best times.

As far as the $39K cost delta between P100D and 100D, it's worth every penny to me. For reference of high performance ICE sedan that I would buy over the pedestrian version, RS7 Vs A7, price delta ~$40K or more depending on spec.

It used to be that when you turned on max battery, you'd get an immediate boost of 20-25 kW, even if you didn't wait for the battery to warm up. Now, you have to use launch mode to get that boost.

• Informative
Reactions: Walta
@Walta, replying here to keep the data thread about data. my car came with a 1071394-00-a. i brought up the part number change with tesla. they responded saying

"The part number is not indicative of the age or design, so you did not get an older designed battery."

so... might just be the software version?

also... that part quoted was the 3rd battery replacement attempt. they could not source fresh p90d batteries so they attempted 3 times to convert a 90kwh pack to ludicrous mode.
Wow. Is that interesting. So up until now the newer the battery the part number would increment. Seems like more alternative facts? So now if you blast through a V2 or V3 battery, you end up with a V1 ish battery? Ouch.

@Walta, replying here to keep the data thread about data. my car came with a 1071394-00-a. i brought up the part number change with tesla. they responded saying

"The part number is not indicative of the age or design, so you did not get an older designed battery."

so... might just be the software version?

also... that part quoted was the 3rd battery replacement attempt. they could not source fresh p90d batteries so they attempted 3 times to convert a 90kwh pack to ludicrous mode.

My battery was to be replaced today. They received an 85 pack but later realized that it was not Ludicrous upgradeable - only certain hardware IDs are upgradeable. So the search is on for another 85 pack with the correct hardware ID. I don't have any estimate on how long that might take. I'm being patient...

• Informative
Reactions: Walta
My battery was to be replaced today. They received an 85 pack but later realized that it was not Ludicrous upgradeable - only certain hardware IDs are upgradeable. So the search is on for another 85 pack with the correct hardware ID. I don't have any estimate on how long that might take. I'm being patient...

basically same thing with me. they got one pack to modify, was shipped to burbank then they found the pack was damaged. so once again search, modify, overnight ship, damaged. the 3rd pack was ok. whole thing took almost 3 weeks.

that being said, the service manager said they are working on a way to repair the p90d packs at the SC rather than fremont.

• Informative
Reactions: benjiejr and Walta
basically same thing with me. they got one pack to modify, was shipped to burbank then they found the pack was damaged. so once again search, modify, overnight ship, damaged. the 3rd pack was ok. whole thing took almost 3 weeks.

that being said, the service manager said they are working on a way to repair the p90d packs at the SC rather than fremont.
This was discussed earlier - but still without any closure. We really really really need Tesla to guide us on how we are supposed to avoid a battery replacement. My memory flashes back to a grandma sitting behind the wheel.... though that won't work for most grandma's I know.
Who wants to keep doing this dance...
damage the battery by driving in some unspecified manner
wait a few weeks while they find some used battery they can remanufacture
while driving around with sub par performance and a nice warning on your screen
rinse and repeat
One can only hope they are working on a fix to the battery that will eventually end the dance.

We really really really need Tesla to guide us on how we are supposed to avoid a battery replacement.

I agree I tried to get information on this point or on some measure of the status of my battery and I couldn't get anything except told my battery was fine. I have countless WOTs, but only a handful of LMs and a few dozen MBP WOTs.

Would be nice if we cld figure out if there is a pattern of use that correlates with battery replacement msg. I seem to recall others with use pattern similar to mine getting the battery msg though while I am fine.

I agree I tried to get information on this point or on some measure of the status of my battery and I couldn't get anything except told my battery was fine. I have countless WOTs, but only a handful of LMs and a few dozen MBP WOTs.

Would be nice if we cld figure out if there is a pattern of use that correlates with battery replacement msg. I seem to recall others with use pattern similar to mine getting the battery msg though while I am fine.

same style driving. what firmware are you rocking?

Latest --- 17.14.23. In P85DL

I'm still on 17.11.10 on my P85DL.

Still pulling 456KW when warm. So has anyone with a 1500 amp (p85DL or P90DL V1) seen a drop in power from any software update when not using launch mode?

The only issue I've had so far is that my front CV half shafts have been replaced twice. The second time they replaced with a different part number. My service adviser at Fremont told me she saw them side by side and that the upgraded CV shafts were significantly larger in diameter than the previous version. Made me wonder if these are the P100D CV shafts.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
I'm still on 17.11.10 on my P85DL.

Still pulling 456KW when warm. So has anyone with a 1500 amp (p85DL or P90DL V1) seen a drop in power from any software update when not using launch mode?

The only issue I've had so far is that my front CV half shafts have been replaced twice. The second time they replaced with a different part number. My service adviser at Fremont told me she saw them side by side and that the upgraded CV shafts were significantly larger in diameter than the previous version. Made me wonder if these are the P100D CV shafts.

Interesting, thanks for that info! I also had my half-shaft replaced just recently.

As for max power, I still haven't seen a drop if not using LM. I'm on 7.14.35 (latest).