Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now what fun would that be?

@Garlan Garner, I think you're missing the larger point. This has nothing to do with Tesla assuring safety and quality control with their product, and everything to do with the manner in which they chose to do so. And now people reporting a new warning, ninja'd into your owners manual to look like it was always there. It's all a mega "WTF?!" move.

Also Garlan, how 'bout them Bears? :confused:
The Bears are who they have always been. Unlike the Cubs. How bout them Cubs and Blackhawks?

HOW do you all know that it's not about safety?

Based on what tesla stated about the issue tesla has only said it will cause drive train damage. Though since tesla has been lacking transparency your concern could be valid.
Tesla has been more transparent than any auto company I know of. Name another CEO that tweets about updates and company direction and such. Name another CEO that has periodic invitations of tours of their factories.

It may not be exactly what you want, however name a more transparent auto company.

Reactions: CanuckS#69
Based on what tesla stated about the issue tesla has only said it will cause drive train damage. Though since tesla has been lacking transparency your concern could be valid.
Again...what does Tesla consider to be the drivetrain? The Contactor is in the drivetrain. The massive inverter is in the drivetrain. Everything but the battery and the cabin is part of the drivetrain.

How do you know it's not a safety issue?
If it were Tesla would have to report it immediately to the NHTSA and there would be a recall. Also they never said it was a safety issue in the email to @Tech_Guy and finally the new warning in the manual doesn't mention safety. It's obviously about trying to avoid warranty claims.

Again...what does Tesla consider to be the drivetrain? The Contactor is in the drivetrain. The massive inverter is in the drivetrain. Everything but the battery and the cabin is part of the drivetrain.
I was thinking that also. That the battery was excluded from the drive train. Which is why I couldn't understand how doing an upgrade to 100kw removed the LM limitation? But since it does eliminate the LM limitation, I assume the battery is part of the drive train.
So if the battery is included, the specific type of damage could be fire related. Though like with the place I work and others have stated, if it was fire related you need to report it as such and act immediately on a recall or risk being shutdown.
So therefore I think fire risk is off the table.

Tesla has been more transparent than any auto company I know of. Name another CEO that tweets about updates and company direction and such. Name another CEO that has periodic invitations of tours of their factories.

It may not be exactly what you want, however name a more transparent auto company.
Please, that's not "transparency" that's building enthusiasm for the brand, salesmanship.

If it were Tesla would have to report it immediately to the NHTSA and there would be a recall. Also they never said it was a safety issue in the email to @Tech_Guy and finally the new warning in the manual doesn't mention safety. It's obviously about trying to avoid warranty claims.

Its not a safety issue because its already limited. If they would have left it unlimited...it would be a safety issue. Tesla remedied this before it became a safety issue.

This is the part I do not understand. Where after X times using launch mode at 1600 amps causes damage but launching unlimited times at 1600 amps doesn't ? When empirical testing shows no measurable difference in track results between using launch mode and just mashing the accelerator.

But do we really know that you have to use launch mode to increase the counter? They say the limit only impacts launch mode, but we have people here who say it impacts non-launch mode too, so what they have said isn't 100% accurate.

I was thinking that also. That the battery was excluded from the drive train. Which is why I couldn't understand how doing an upgrade to 100kw removed the LM limitation? But since it does eliminate the LM limitation, I assume the battery is part of the drive train.
So if the battery is included, the specific type of damage could be fire related. Though like with the place I work and others have stated, if it was fire related you need to report it as such and act immediately on a recall or risk being shutdown.
So therefore I think fire risk is off the table.
The Battery and Drivetrain have to support one another.

Even if Tesla inserted a nuclear reactor in the frunk...you have to modify the inverter to use all of the power of the nuclear reactor. There will have to be new contactors and such.

Do you guys know what the contactor is?

Look, Tesla didn't handle this properly (yet, maybe they'll come clean?), but if any of you guys think there is anyone even remotely as ethical as Tesla in the car business, you're sorely mistaken.

I'm a car guy, and like cars a bit more than my budget can support for brand new ones, so I've been buying used performance vehicles for awhile, and have learned that everyone has way more skeletons in the closet than Tesla.

Porsche has exploding engines, BMW/Mini has suspension that can collapse at speed and kill you, etc... These are all known problems that manufacturers have handled in very, very poor ways compared to Tesla.

I'm not really defending Tesla, they screwed up this one; I'm just saying, even with this faux-pas, they suck waaaay less than others. So I find all the 'moral outrage' a touch over the top; it is worth talking about, but I hope context I provide is useful.