Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has now added the same manual disclaimer about limiting performance to the ORDER page for performance cars on the design studio, which is worrying because the only performance car you can configure is the P100D... which we're expecting is excluded from this limitation...

The response is a universal CYA clause.

Exactly!

I do not think the disclaimer is any reason to suddenly worry that the P100DLs will also be immediately limited to x number of launches.

HOWEVER...

the disclaimer now in use gives Tesla the ability to limit any performance model any way they want to in the future, so as lola wrote, this is a major, ironclad, CYA statement.

To help protect the performance and longevity of the powertrain, Performance versions of the Model S and Model X continually monitor the condition of various components and may employ limiting controls to optimize the overall driving and ownership experience.

Ok, Tesla is maturing.
They've now entered the vague double speak phase were a general language statement that can be interpreted as anything from high speed thermal power roll back to too much use so now your P is an S is their solution.

Tesla is reading these threads.
The attorneys see the liability of unilaterally removing performance.
The response is a universal CYA clause.
Tesla's strongest asset was its customers. They are working incredibly hard to shrink their sales force.

Demand must indeed be outstripping production.

As yes, maturing. Converging on the lowest common denominator. Customer hostility will increase until competition arrives ... it sure was fun while it lasted ...

Exactly!

I do not think the disclaimer is any reason to suddenly worry that the P100DLs will also be immediately limited to x number of launches.

HOWEVER...

the disclaimer now in use gives Tesla the ability to limit any performance model any way they want to in the future, so as lola wrote, this is a major, ironclad, CYA statement.

Which just goes to show that Tesla knows they have to disclose this BEFORE someone buys the vehicle.

How many folks P90D issues have gotten fixed by reading this thread? I assume the answer is no-ones. Go out and do something about it. That's how you are going to get your remedy. Tweet Elon....He responds. File a lemon-law action.

I would argue this thread is producing increasingly detailed and accurate information on the issue at hand, quite uniquely so (rivalled perhaps only by Reddit). In addition to ownership education, this leads to exposure that has already resulted in news story or stories and changes to Tesla's written materials (which will further educate owners).

I would say that is doing something about it.

I would argue this thread is producing increasingly detailed and accurate information on the issue at hand, quite uniquely so (rivalled perhaps only by Reddit). In addition to ownership education, this leads to exposure that has already resulted in news story or stories and changes to Tesla's written materials (which will further educate owners).

I would say that is doing something about it.

To build on this, it would be great of Tesla to reach out and work with affected owners about supporting these cars in a performance capacity. Generally, ICE cars need technical backing in performance environments and Tesla is essentially admitting that PEV cars are no different. It would be, I think, a great idea of Tesla offered a performance maintenance plan and worked with owners who wish to take advantage of the things their cars have to offer. I can say that I would definitely be interested in something like this.

As they say, you gotta pay to play.

so what exactly is this supposed to save us owners from? exploded axles? dismounted tires? motor rotors that turn to slag? battery cells vaporizing?

ive been over fast footing my car for nearly a year and the only mechanical failure experienced was a go peddle that fell off...

is there some massive thread about p90d owners having their cars towed?

This really is becoming absurd. Like "turn it off because it's jumped the shark" absurd.

Performance
Performance acceleration ratings are based on maximum battery power mode and follow Motor Trend’s test procedure of subtracting the first foot rollout time to represent drag strip performance.

Performance versions of the Model S and Model X are high-performance vehicles. As with other vehicles, continuous high-performance driving will stress the vehicle's components and may result in premature wear or failure. To help protect the performance and longevity of the powertrain, Performance versions of the Model S and Model X continually monitor the condition of various components and may employ limiting controls to optimize the overall driving and ownership experience.

My suggestion to Tesla would be: stop adding special conditions to the P models and just be open/tune them down beforehand as needed. A growing list of disclaimers will not add to the fame of these cars, only infamy.

It seems to me Tesla's desire to reach various acceleration etc. goals as well as differentiating P and non-P models may be pushing them to unhealthy places.

Tesla did not clarify which Performance models are impacted... :cool:

upload_2016-12-25_18-32-22.png

• Disagree
Reactions: Matias and yak-55
No, that would be gradual. This is a sudden and immediate drop by a large amount. If you search around here you can find accounts of it. Some first thought it was due to 8.0, but Tesla themselves stated it's due to the launches.

The reason I am making this public is because I don't believe it's acceptable for Tesla to impose "secret" limits like thus without informing us up-front. I want Tesla to fix this policy as well as all this manipulation of the stats for marketing purposes. Bringing attention to it sooner rather than later may help to get it addressed. I want Tesla to succeed, and I don't want to see something like a class-action suit befall them.

What triggered my action was the report that Tesla has apparently stopped offering the 60 -> 75 upgrade, which means we have their attention.

All they have to do is issue a statement to all owners of cars with packs that are affected and state something like "repeated launches will result in eventual loss of power to protect driveline components". I'd love to see them also offer an opt-out, such as if you want to keep this performance level, you have to acknowledge this risk or accept reduced performance now. I also heard a rumor that the new 2.4 second easter-egg for the P100DL may require you to agree that using it will void your driveline warranty. Now that is the right way to do something like this. The people that want the risk can agree up-front rather than having something unexpected happen.

Why on earth would Elon tweet out the 2.4 second Easter Egg if it would in any way at any point in time void your warranty ? I find that impossible to believe. Has anyone sent a tweet to Elon on this whole launch/power reduction rumor? I also would find it hard to believe he would evade any answer, and if he did, my confidence would also occur in 2.4 seconds... but to zero....

Why on earth would Elon tweet out the 2.4 second Easter Egg if it would in any way at any point in time void your warranty ? I find that impossible to believe. Has anyone sent a tweet to Elon on this whole launch/power reduction rumor? I also would find it hard to believe he would evade any answer, and if he did, my confidence would also occur in 2.4 seconds... but to zero....
It's not a rumor. If you look upthread people have copied emails from Tesla confirming it and electrik is reportug on it to.

Everyone Merry Christmas

And if you who own P90D's can pull yourself to enjoy your car...I wish you happy and safe travels.

Not to be too much of a pill on Xmas, but perhaps if you had been screwed you'd feel different?

Let's assume you order a "Halo" Model 3 with a cheaper version of Ludicrous Mode for, say, $5k. Then you find out months later that your "special" feature has a counter that only gives you the acceleration you read about in the many articles on the car for a lousy 25 launches, and then it's gone forever . . . .

Wouldn't you be a little torqued off, especially if none of this was mentioned before you shelled out the money?

I posit that sales of high-margin P models would be cut in half had we known then what we know now.

Look, I love Tesla and what it stand for, but this is beyond the pale. Selling "A" cars by having various car magazine post test results WITHOUT A DISCLAIMER, and then delivering "B" cars that have all that awesomeness on a counter that runs out as you use the car as intended is just plain wrong . . . .

Tesla has to fix this and the longer they wait, the worse it is for all of us, both as owners and TSLA investors.

Last edited: