Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone who'dathunk it would be possible to pass off "equating" the level of warranty risk of swapping a stock air filter for an aftermarket one or FIPK, etc. in an ancient Nissan, with making the software changes in a Tesla which were discussed earlier.

I wasn't doing either. I was responding to a post that implied that you had to go straight to litigation when you're wrongly denied warranty coverage for something you did that shouldn't have voided a warranty. You've now misread it what, 8 times :)

He didn't just replace one consumable maintenance item with another.

He modified the construction of the car with a part not supplied my the manufacturer.

He was certainly at risk.

Especially since Nissan actually denied my warranty coverage. Fortunately in this case first line defense consumer organizations made it easy to get a remedy without seeking a lawyer.

Especially since Nissan actually denied my warranty coverage. Fortunately in this case first line defense consumer organizations made it easy to get a remedy without seeking a lawyer.

With Mag Moss in place, Nissan arguably never had any legal basis on which to deny your warranty, and you were never even at risk, unless your filter caused something to break, or you broke something installing it.

That much has already been stated and is not in dispute.

Let's see you install open source software into your Tesla, and successfully use the same avenues you describe above to successfully avoid a warranty issue.

Let us know when you're about to make your attempt.

When you can do that, then your comparison and attempt at equalization of risk between the two examples being discussed, might get legs. But until then, there is no comparison whatsoever in terms of level of risk between the two.

I was responding to a post that implied that you had to go straight to litigation when you're wrongly denied warranty coverage for something you did that shouldn't have voided a warranty.

Nissan arguably never had any legal basis to deny your warranty. That's been pointed out several times now.

Which post, BTW?

And I never disputed that.

You've now misread what I wrote 8 times.:)

Last edited:
The wired thing is that "L" money bought you different levels of performance depending on the production variant you bought. The V3 people were the only ones that got what Tesla promoted at the launch and are having their cars reduced to V2s. The core of the problem is that Tesla has not been held to the announce spec so it seems strange to fight being reduced in power when previous versions were shipped and accepted with that lesser power.

Not sure the above makes sense.

Have not seen the Ludicrous Plus + drag times video posted yet.

Ludicrous+ comes with a warning, doesn't say anything about potential consequences.
2017-01-11 18_38_22-Tesla P100D Ludicrous Plus + is Here! - YouTube.png

• Informative
Reactions: lunitiks
The wired thing is that "L" money bought you different levels of performance depending on the production variant you bought. The V3 people were the only ones that got what Tesla promoted at the launch and are having their cars reduced to V2s. The core of the problem is that Tesla has not been held to the announce spec so it seems strange to fight being reduced in power when previous versions were shipped and accepted with that lesser power.

Yes, it does.

And I alluded to the concept of this pages back.

Tesla has never acknowledged the existence of "V1", "V2" or "V3".

On a side note, people who had so called "V1s" and V2s" never insisted that their cars be "upgraded" to "V3s" either. At least not in here, there was no public outcry.

But effectively, what Tesla has done, by not acknowledging the existence of "three shades of P90DL", is give themselves an out to say to a V3 owner after reducing his power; "Your car is STILL a P90DL, just like your buddy's P90DL that we sold him back when we first started selling them."

Last edited:
The problem is none of the ludicrous cars will be able to meet advertised specifications at 1500 Kw.

That's an easy out.

They'll say that it can, and for proof, point to the MT car, which for all we know, could be in the crusher by now.

That no private owner has stated a 10.9 quarter, won't hurt them. Especially since people were reaching the 0-60 spec and in some instances, showed themselves to doing it.

This has the potential to be a long and drawn out fight. And they've laid the groundwork for that to be the case.

Because Tesla sets some expectation that a "software update" will somehow fix the issue, just as with the 691HP debacle. Of course, that update is never coming, quite the opposite. If we bought this car from Nissan/BMW/etc/etc, owners would immediately hold the manufacturers feet to the fire over what they didn't deliver.

edit - this is our goodwill taken advantage of.

• Love
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Have not seen the Ludicrous Plus + drag times video posted yet.

Ludicrous+ comes with a warning, doesn't say anything about potential consequences.
View attachment 210073
This is one of my biggest complaints about this whole power reduction issue. From day one and based on the implementation of L+ , continuing on today, is the attitude Tesla promotes about driving their performance cars aggressively. Which I would expect, most all the P90DL owners adhere to. Such is why we spent the $10K for L mode.
"No I want my mommy" will be something I discuss with my SA when we talk about countergate.

Concur almost 100%. However . . .

Yes, while Ludicrous was $10k BUT to get that we all had to step up to a "P" Model. I doubt red brake calipers and shiny brake/accelerator pedals cost Tesla anywhere near the cost of that upgrade . . . .

The big question: why does Tesla insist on dragging this out? Does Tesla really think in the post-VW "Dieselgate" era they would have a snowball's chance in hades of winning a class action? WHY MAKE THE ATTORNEYS RICH when there is NO need for what will become the inevitable class action in the first place?

Tesla effectively admitted wrongdoing with the addition of the new (pathetic) disclaimer on the order page (and even that is way too small and hard to find and may be missed by buyers). Look, it is OKAY to occasionally screw up--reaching for the stars means you sometimes fall short. But when that happens, smart companies make it right, and fast.

Doesn't Elon see these posts? If not, someone at Tesla HQ is surely tasked to do so. What is the friggin' problem here?

I find it amazing that Tesla's strongest supporters, those of us purchased the "P" versions, are being left out in the cold while they, apparently, hope this blows over?

Just stunning.

Are they out of their collective minds?

The longer Tesla waitw, the more pissed off several of us are becoming . . . pissing off your best, most lucrative customers, your strongest supporters, and waiting for a huge, class action lawsuit, is NOT good for business. It is stupid.

Note to Tesla: Don't be stupid.
Tesla upper management is basically braindead. I think most of these aholes came from existing manufacturers or other beancounting jobs. They truly have no clue. Pissing off customers that write $100k+ checks for these cars, and hoping to get new buyers down the road is no doubt going to ruin the company. A good reputation takes a long time to build, but only a moment to ruin....