Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car cannot do 10's in the quarter at 1500A, period. Motortrend car was a cheater car.

As our P90DL has never come close to the beyond glowing magazine article test results that lead us to buy the car in the first place, I have queried TeslaServiceNA on the specifics of the vehicles loaned out to Car and Driver and MotorTrend (battery, powertrain, firmware/software versions, etc.).

They've asked me to contact [email protected], which I have done.

Will report what I hear.

I don't think that Tesla understands: The longer this goes on, the more angry their customers are getting. Angering their best customers is remarkably imprudent.

Pull your head out Tesla, or this is going to get very expensive, very quickly . . . .

Anyone know a good class action attorney in CA that specializes in Automotive Issues?

I'm glad to see that it's finally starting to sink in that this is where we are.

We're in a fight here folks.

And if we don't all wake up and recognize that, then we're going to get our asses kicked.

This isn't about "air filters" and such and never was. It's a shame that anyone in here would try and put this on par with that.

This is much bigger than that.

It's time to quit hollering and or otherwise taking the position and influencing others that professional legal help is not needed not warranted in this specific case or in similar cases.

Nothing short of that gives us the best chance should this hit one of us next.

Reactions: davidc18
Anyone know a good class action attorney in CA that specializes in Automotive Issues?

This firm was involved with the VW scandal and appears to have some free time now that that case is slowly wrapping up:

Champions of Justice: Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP

I have been made aware that they are contacting some on this thread so it may already be too late for Tesla to stop their stupidity.

As a TSLA shareholder, I am concerned and amazed when really, really smart people like Elon, et al, allow such a boneheaded mistake in the first place, and then do nothing to make it right as the facts start to trickle out.

Scary stupid bad move from a PR perspective, not to mention what they're doing to their best customers good will. Just dumb, no matter how you slice it.

In addition to having invested a lot for performance, those who have paid for such cars are exactly the customers most likely to pass up "walk away" money in the $5k-$10k range in favor of making Tesla own up to these, um, "ethically interesting" practices and change their approach. In other words, these are the customers willing to sign up for a class action suit and not be willing to settle for a pittance -- but rather want the principle addressed in ongoing company policy and philosophy as the goal, rather than some $75/car affordance.

Scary stupid bad move from a PR perspective, not to mention what they're doing to their best customers good will. Just dumb, no matter how you slice it.

It is just a logical next step in a long line of Performance model related exaggerations: 80 kWh batteries labelled as 85 kWh, under 500 hp P85D's labelled as 691 hp, not mentioned one-foot roll-out deduction in Performance 0-60 times, 11.X P90DL labelled as 10.X quarter mile and now a 2.34 sec Ludicrous+!

Taking 100 hp away after use fits the bill just fine.

Have just sent second official request to Tesla asking for information specific to my vehicle and it counters.

I also requested that they unstage the updated firmware on both of my MSs and prevent any further FW updates without my prior written consent.

Will post the results.
Just sent an email to tesla sales, and again to my tesla SA - requesting them to give me guidance on a driving technique that would prevent me from losing any power, but still enjoy the performance. And like davidc18, I added an email requesting my counter information. Will post when I get a response.

@Tech_Guy - has Tesla explained what you need to do to return the power you lost? I know someone else asked you this earlier. Has Tesla finally responded? If and when they do, please post the information.
More unsolicited advice/suggestions: @Tech_Guy - When asking such questions, I tend to push a little into details. As an example, instead of "Can I retrofit my car for parking sensors?" I might ask "What needs to be retrofitted for the parking sensors? Do I need to replace the doors? The fenders? The entire frunk? The battery? The chassis?" In your case, pushing for "is it 'just' a battery replacement issue or does the drive unit need to be replaced as well?"

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18 and Walta
As a TSLA shareholder, I am concerned and amazed when really, really smart people like Elon, et al, allow such a boneheaded mistake in the first place, and then do nothing to make it right as the facts start to trickle out.

The really, really smart people I have worked with over the years, have generally shared similar traits: limited attention to detail, often wanting to flit between projects and _very_ limited empathy...

Sound familiar?

Elon may or may not be the cleverest man on the planet, but there is a soft side which is desperately needed at the highest level (IMHO)

This firm was involved with the VW scandal and appears to have some free time now that that case is slowly wrapping up:

Champions of Justice: Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP

I have been made aware that they are contacting some on this thread so it may already be too late for Tesla to stop their stupidity.

They smell blood. And know that where there's smoke, there's fire.

Otherwise they'd have no interest.

I don't know who they've contacted, but look for them to continue to reach out to P90DL ownersin here if they have already.

Tesla needs to roll this back and they need to do it soon before this becomes an even bigger mess.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: davidc18
....snip.......
What triggered my action was the report that Tesla has apparently stopped offering the 60 -> 75 upgrade, which means we have their attention......snip...

sorry being late to the thread, but last (night) i checked - the 60kWh-75kWh upgrade is available .... just as it was, a couple weeks ago. So how is this 'stopped offering' idea reconciled.
From those who've rooted around in the system I'd already learned/read the 60kWh is closer to 62kWh (which is a plus, if one never upgrades) & the upgrade only takes the 60/62kWh capacity to 72kWh. Yea - that would definitely exasperate owners.

The "publicity" isn't the "whoopin' stick" that yields the best chance of getting Tesla to reverse field on this issue.
The threat of a class action lawsuit is.

You know what my point is. At least you should.

You advocated against widespread publicity on this and private lawsuits instead.

Class action needs publicity to happen. How does one raise the class without? How does one know to start a class action in the first place without publicity...

Last thing we should want is this hushed and splintered into individuals trying to get their indiduals wrongs righted individually. Even with lawyers that is totally disproportionate.

With publicity Tesla also at least has a chance to right this before it gets very serious...

And if not, the more people hear of this in public, the more know to join in.