Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

Based on your input, we have decided to remove all software performance reductions tied to frequent max power usage. These changes will roll out with our next software update (in about three weeks).

We had put these reductions in place to proactively protect the powertrain from wear and tear. Instead, we will monitor the condition of the powertrain and let our customers know if service is needed so that we can take proactive steps, such as by replacing parts if necessary, to maintain the vehicle’s performance.

--Jon

Thanks, Jon--I was waiting for Tesla's response. Felt pretty confident someone would come through with a reasonable answer, eventually.

Hi everyone,

Based on your input, we have decided to remove all software performance reductions tied to frequent max power usage. These changes will roll out with our next software update (in about three weeks).

We had put these reductions in place to proactively protect the powertrain from wear and tear. Instead, we will monitor the condition of the powertrain and let our customers know if service is needed so that we can take proactive steps, such as by replacing parts if necessary, to maintain the vehicle’s performance.

--Jon

Thank you Jon.

Hi everyone,

--Jon
Great news!

Thanks for listening.

Performance disclaimer no longer appears on the Tesla ordering page.

Kudos to Tesla Team for wise decision.

Snap1.png

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Based on your input, we have decided to remove all software performance reductions tied to frequent max power usage.

Bolded section for those few people claiming that discussing it here was pointless.

These changes will roll out with our next software update (in about three weeks).

--Jon

It's great that you listened and are doing the right thing, however I do hope Tesla realizes why their initial action was fundamentally flawed, and will avoid doing similar in the future.

Hi everyone,

--Jon
Wow, I could not have imagined a better response from Tesla. Assuming this goes forward as stated, it has totally restored my confidence in Tesla!

Hi everyone,

--Jon

+1. What a novel idea. Someone from Tesla actually posted a resolution to satisfy customers on the forums. Every time I suggested that Tesla should do this sort of thing people always shot me down, "that's crazy" "it will never work" "that's unprofessional." What say you now, naysayers?

+1. What a novel idea. Someone from Tesla actually posted a resolution to satisfy customers on the forums. Every time I suggested that Tesla should do this sort of thing people always shot me down, "that's crazy" "it will never work" "that's unprofessional." What say you now, naysayers?
Actually this is the fourth or fifth time he's helped out people on this forum. I'm glad he's around and looking out for us customers.

Many, many thanks!!! Heckuva resolution folks.

Hi everyone,

--Jon

Hi everyone,

--Jon
That is phenomenal to hear! Thanks man! Should I cancel my service appointment?

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Thanks Jon, great news.
I'd also like to thank @Ingineer and @wk057 for their analysis, @Tech_Guy , @AnonNJ and some others for sharing valuable information, and @lolachampcar for his dedication and help in this thread.

Fred, maybe you can update your article now?
Oh That was fast, Fred has already posted a new article. Thanks. Tesla listens to customers and walks back all software performance reductions tied to frequent use of max power

That looks like solved everything for now, but I think Tesla should be more open about this problem.
Under warranty repairs are good, but what will happen after 4 years or 8 years warranty. Are all risky parts covered under 8 year warranty? After 8 years, what kind of repair bill is waiting for the owner? After 8 years, can owner voluntarily ask Tesla to reduce the power in order not to face huge repair bills?