Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally get it.

Tesla owns the car, the data and their questionable engineering decisions while the car is under warranty (I have just paid for the experience).

Nothing I can do about any of it (performance limiting updates, loss of previously useful features etc) so I am just going to drive the car to enjoy it to the maximum extent possible.

Yup, changed my mind months ago. No need to baby the car. Drive it like you paid for it. The car stays at 90% SoC and I hit the throttle anytime I want. If that increases Tesla's warranty costs - well, shouldn't have acted like d****

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
I know we have distracted from the subject,
But could someone claims Tesla is not limiting power intentionally on non-P cars, could you please explain this:

Chevy Volt
  • 0-30: 2.6 seconds
  • 0-60: 8.4 seconds
Tesla S 85 Rwd
  • 0-30: 2.7 seconds
  • 0-60: 5.6 seconds

I'd expect a better 0-30 from 85. (or 90 or 100)

Volt - 3519 lbs, 294 ft-lbs torque
S85 - 4647 lbs, 325 ft-lbs torque

Your argument is with physics, not Tesla. I would suggest learning the mathematical relationship between torque, power, and acceleration. The question should really be why is the volt so slow to 60. We don't have times for the 100D, but expect it to be every slower to 60 than 85/90D. Because it weighs more, and it has the same small motors.

could not resist.
20170410_100832.jpg

I traded in my P85DL and along with someone else on the forum I noticed when they listed it as a CPO they had removed the underline and where selling it as only a P85D. I went in to see the car and then confronted the sales person and he later admitted that because of the high counts they derated the car so that it would last for the remaining warranty with less chance of problems. This certainly makes the upgrade worthless for resale to Tesla and shows they are worried about future warranty problems.

I seem to remember one member saying we should all calm down because this problem only existed on one vehicle. I think that assumption has been disproved.

Using the current political situation as a reference point, it is a very good thing M3 and the Gigafactory are going to be consuming the oxygen in the news cycles or this would have the potential to get ugly.

It's a little worse than worthless.... It actually detracts from the value of the car as any potential owner would worry about warranty issues moving forward. Every now and then a manufacturer lays an egg. This is Tesla's turd.
Yes, this.
Nobody will ever want to touch an Tesla P car, older than 5 years old.
I'm glad that I'm selling mine.
It will be just like Mercedes S600 etc. Nice large cheap car with lots of tech, but prone to expensive repairs.

Look at this beauty: Mercedes-Benz S Class 3.0 S350L CDI BlueTEC L Limousine 7G-Tronic Plus 4dr
5 years old and just £10k.

• Informative
Update on my "Avoid Hard Acceleration" error... I have been contacted by Tesla and setup an appointment next week to replace my battery pack with a re-manufactured pack. There was some confusion as to whether that re-manufactured pack would stay with me or if I would eventually get my original pack back. Tesla has confirmed that in this case the re-manufactured pack is permanent; you will not get your original pack back. Also, they will need to re-install the Ludicrous upgrade on the re-manufactured pack prior to installing in my car. There are likely no engineering changes to the re-manufactured pack so if I continue to drive it like I do and draw high amps then this could happen again in the future. This scenario is covered under the 8-year/unlimited mile warranty.

Recently (on March 26, 2017), I happened to do some pretty good power output testing prior to this error so I plan to redo those tests on the re-manufactured pack and see how they compare.