Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Correction & Coating - G|Techniq C1 & EXO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
JAG9000

Looks AMAZING! I knew you would be pleased!

Just wait until you see how resistive it is to getting dirty! I park my S outside in the driveway and it gets *quite* a lot less dirty over time than it did before - it resists dirt almost as well as it does water!

Aaron

Jag's suggestion is a really good one. You can get your car corrected by someone and then apply it yourself. If you go to the GTechniq NA website, they have videos concerning application. It's very simple, but the biggest hangup people have in application is applying too much product. If you're still not sure about that, any detailer worth his (or her) weight in salt could apply C1 and EXO easily.

I did a full paint correction and then I applied GTechniq C1 and ExoV2. I did this the week after I got the car and I'll readily admit that this is a project I'm not likely to ever take on again. LOVE the finished result, but it was a solid 50 hour project. I was working 18 hour days for 2 days straight and then had to take Monday off work to finish the job ... which I still didn't. The C1 was rather nerve wrecking to apply (only because you rather not have to start all over again at that stage), but was fairly straight forward if you can follow directions to the letter.

Having never clay bared a car before, I was REALLY surprised at the imperfections that showed up ... note that this was done less than a week after I picked up the car:

2013-06-15 10.51.59.jpg
2013-06-15 10.52.53.jpg

That same spot looked like this after I was done (I didn't do a great job of focusing my camera, but you get the idea):

2013-06-16 14.37.59.jpg

Even though I would never take on this project again myself, I will definitely pay a professional to do it in a couple of years when I need to re-treat it. This stuff is amazing! I drove the car for a couple of weeks after treating it and then gave it a quick wash. I was literally outside washing the car for an extra 30 min just because it was so much fun :)) And I think it looks pretty decent as well (Absolutely no filter applied to these pics, natural light at 7:30pm):

2013-06-29 19.07.51.jpg

2013-06-29 19.22.38.jpg

2013-06-29 19.24.33.jpg

2013-06-29 19.25.16.jpg

The water repellency of the EXO is fun enough by itself :))

http://instagram.com/p/bKWu-apZfq/

(not sure that video link will work)

50 hours! Did you hand polish!?!?

No, but I was definitely slower than someone with experience would have been.

Wash, Clay bar, IPA rinse alone was probably a 5 hour deal. The 50 hours also includes applying G1 Smart Glass and both leather and dash/trim treatment on the interior. It was above 80 degrees and humid, which I know made especially the C1 and G1 treatments more time consuming. The product was curing so quickly that it took quite a bit of effort to buff it off after application.

I only wish it withstood finger/hand smudges as well as it repelled dirt :)

Specifically my 18m old kid's finger prints. He will gravitate toward my freshly washed car and put his hands and mouth all over the paint and proudly say, "daddy! daddy!"

Funny, he doesn't do all that when the car is dirty...:cursing:

All kids that come within 3 feet of my car has to put on the following protective clothing:

http://www.amazon.com/Medical-Booti...F8&qid=1374765965&sr=8-4&keywords=shoe+covers
and
http://www.amazon.com/Nitri-Cor-Pow...qid=1374766024&sr=1-3&keywords=nitrile+gloves

only fair no? ;-)

Mach3-
The car looks great! Nice work. Glossy, glassy, lux!

Thank you. I absolutely love it. I think the Photosync tint looks great as well.