Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint correction for light scratches and swirls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what happened to my hood, but it kinda looks like someone dried it with a sandy towel. Not swirls as much as lots of minor scratches. Can't feel them with my fingernail, so I think they're pretty superficial.

Looking for input on what compounds and/or polish work well on the M3 paint. I will be applying with a DA buffer. Options I've looked at include:
  • Menzerna FG400
  • Meguiars M205
  • Chemical Guys V36, V38, VSS
  • Zaino Z-PC
For pads I was looking at the Chemical Guys HexLogic orange and white.

Specifically looking for advice here due to what seems to be delicate paint on the Model 3. My car is blue if it matters.

Thanks in advance.

I love the Optimum Hyper Polish on an Orange Lake County Hydro-Tech tangerine Ultra Finishing Pad for the softer Tesla paint. Dustless and long working time. Really hard to not get an amazing shine on Tesla's paint.

I also thing the Menzerna FG400 would be an OK choice as well, but maybe too much of a cut for the small swirls you have. Plus, I do not think it finishes as great as a true 2 step compound/polish would do.

205 is always a sure bet and never really messed with and CG products outside of V7 sealant spray.

I love the Optimum Hyper Polish on an Orange Lake County Hydro-Tech tangerine Ultra Finishing Pad for the softer Tesla paint. Dustless and long working time. Really hard to not get an amazing shine on Tesla's paint.

I also thing the Menzerna FG400 would be an OK choice as well, but maybe too much of a cut for the small swirls you have. Plus, I do not think it finishes as great as a true 2 step compound/polish would do.

205 is always a sure bet and never really messed with and CG products outside of V7 sealant spray.

Thanks, looking at Optimum Hyper Polish now. Interesting that it's a spray, seems convenient. I've had good success with ONR, maybe I'll give it a go. Does that tangerine pad have enough cut to remove scratches, or is it more for finishing?

A swirl remover like VSS or Z-PC should do the trick. A long-throw DA polisher will be more effective than short throw. I don't think you need a heavy cutting compound like fg400. I'm sure you know, but good prep will help like good wash, clay, etc.

Anyways, the mere fact you've asked this question and listed some good products means to me you are already ahead of the game.

Reactions: jimmym1981
Thanks, looking at Optimum Hyper Polish now. Interesting that it's a spray, seems convenient. I've had good success with ONR, maybe I'll give it a go. Does that tangerine pad have enough cut to remove scratches, or is it more for finishing?
For me, its the best of both worlds with giving an amazing polish and light swirl removal, plus I think the spray works the best with the Hydro pads. If anything, you could go to a regular white pad or a CCS white. I'd really have to see what you are working with prior to giving you the best answer. If it was hard German paint, I would not recommend it and would steer you more to a 2 step. Tesla's paint is pretty easy to correct from my experience.

Tesla paint appears to be very easy to correct. I've used Sonax Profiline Perfect Finish as well as Menzerna Super Finish with fine results. Out of your list I'd lean towards Menzerna or Meguiar's 205. I would use a white or orange pad (I like the Lake Country ones), depending on how significant the swirls/marks you are trying to correct are.

Optimum Hyper Polish is great and especially good stuff if you are following it up with OptiGloss or other Optimum coating. Before polishing, I'd clay the hood (or any other parts you are going to polish). You could also use an iron removal product first. And then after you get everything polished to your expectation, make sure to use a good sealant or coating (or wax if that is your thing).

Reactions: jimmym1981
Tesla paint appears to be very easy to correct. I've used Sonax Profiline Perfect Finish as well as Menzerna Super Finish with fine results. Out of your list I'd lean towards Menzerna or Meguiar's 205. I would use a white or orange pad (I like the Lake Country ones), depending on how significant the swirls/marks you are trying to correct are.

Optimum Hyper Polish is great and especially good stuff if you are following it up with OptiGloss or other Optimum coating. Before polishing, I'd clay the hood (or any other parts you are going to polish). You could also use an iron removal product first. And then after you get everything polished to your expectation, make sure to use a good sealant or coating (or wax if that is your thing).

A great addition to add the iron-x and clay. I forgot to mention that.

Thanks all. I ordered the Optimum polish and tangerine pad as suggested, and it didn’t do it. Thinking I’ll try m205 next and see if it has enough cut. Not sure how much throw my buffer has. It’s a porter cable random orbital, have had it for a long time.

I did wash and clay the area I was polishing in advance, but I did not use something like Dawn. I have Jescar power lock on it. Would that impede the ability of the buffer to remove the scratches?

Ok I went and picked up some M205 at autozone and tried it with the tangerine pad. Took a bit more out but still have some scratches I’d like to work out.

Should I try a more aggressive pad with the m205 or try a more aggressive compound? I’m wading a bit out of my depth at this point and any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

205 is a good polish and the tangerine pad probably doesn’t have enough cut. You can try a LC Orange or White to get a bit more. I guess I’d really have to see what the starting finish was.

Hyper polish/205 should’ve gotten the swirls out and polish to a nice finish. It sounds like they are deeper which might need a compound, but I would try an orange flat or CCS pad first with both polishes. Always want the least aggressive way first. Got any pics you can post?

The Porter Cable has a very short throw. Depending how much future polishing you might do, consider a machine with more throw. I have a PC as well and it is not nearly as good as my Adams 15mm in terms of correction ability.

You will find the exact same pad and polish on a polisher with more throw will make a big difference.

The Adams is not the best of the best by any means but is a good brand for the buck machine.

If you have "scratches", you really need a more aggressive approach. At the same time, don't go overboard. A Porter Cable is fine but will take much longer to do a correction. On scratches, I've used Meguiars Ultimate Compound or Meguiars Scratch-X as they are readily available at many auto parts stores. It may take some patience but should help reduce their appearance. Using either of these products with an orange pad (let the machine weight do its job, don't push down) and some time is perfectly safe. Shoot, if a couple small scratches, you can even just see what happens when you try to correct by hand.

Follow-up on that area with the M205 or Optimum polish to remove any sanding marks/haze.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Greatly appreciated.

Didn't realize some of the scratches were as bad as they were. Oh well, it's always good to err on too little cutting.

Not keen on spending $200 for a new DA polisher at this point and may try an orange or CCS pad and a compound to see if that does the trick.

Will keep you posted. Car is at the SC today getting the front radar replaced or I'd post some pics. Thanks again.