Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Issues - Hazy White Spots - Black Model 3 SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to see if any other recent Tesla owners have had any issues or signs of poor paint jobs? I picked up my new Black model 3 SR+ on March 18th and about 3 weeks later after a careful wash I noticed a number of hazy white circular patches start to show through the paint. I found one on the top of my trunk and then did a thorough search of the entire car in the sun and discovered another 3 on the drivers side door and rear door. I tried to spot detail them but they wouldn't come out and it seemed like they were under the clear coat. It reminded me of leaving a wet glass on a nice wood table and it leaving a white solid circle stain. And with each hazy area there's a bunch of tiny circle/swirl marks.

I made an appointment and took it into the Tesla service center. The guy said they could probably buff it out and if not they would send it to the body shop to be repainted. He called me the next day and said their detail guys were confident they could buff it out. I picked up my car two days later and to be honest I could tell right away it was a pretty lazy detail job. Wax residue and missed streaks left everywhere. The hazy white coloration seemed to be gone but I could still kinda notice the areas where the spots used to be. I'm hoping they don't reappear. Anyone else have these on their car? They are very hard to see unless it's the right angle of bright light but when you catch them they are very apparent. I was able to capture some images before I took it in for detailing.

Image 1 - Imgur
Image 2 - Imgur
Image 3 - Imgur

I found this thread from 2018 for a Model S with the same thing so my guess is this may be a common paint defect. If anyone has experienced the same thing, Please share.

Similar Thread - Light patch on paint just showed up today!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 1,418
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 842
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 821
I saw two similar spots about the size of a nickel on my left front fender close to where it meets the hood. Hard to see, I noticed them in my garage when the sun was shinning through the window. Tried some compound then re-waxed the area but still the same. I haven't looked over the rest of the car but will today. Black car, March delivery as well.

I had a matte looking area on my passenger side rear fender. Obviously someone had buffed it. The local service center was told not to detail my car, and it was evident it wasn't, so this was done in the factory the week earlier when the car was built.

After a wash, and ceramic coat, I can barely tell its there now.

Similar issue. Tesla, paint job is not great, its close to the worst I have ever seen on a new car and that is without the defects. I was considering getting it wrapped to avoid any further issues.

Yes, I came on the forum today to see if anyone else was experiencing the same issue. I now have four perfectly round spots. I was wondering it was from the car wash. The car wash team says it's because I mainly park in covered parking and that the moisture in the building is causing the problem? I have always parked in the same two buildings with my previous cars with black paint and have never had this problem. Also, I have used their car wash service with no issues. Anyone know what the cause and if there is a way to prevent this? I don't want a polka dot Model 3 in the future. :)
car spots.jpg

Attachments

• car spots.jpg
    car spots.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 740
Interesting. I posted this a little bit ago and only one person replied. Exact same issue on my black 3.

How does one fix a "dull" spot in the paint/clear coat?

I had my car in for tint soon after I noticed this, and they were able to polish it out 90% in just a few seconds.

Interestingly, they had a brand new black Dodge something or other they were doing paint correction on, and the guy who polished my hazy circle said he sees it all the time - and showed me one spot on this brand new Dodge. So this is not a Tesla thing. It’s a car thing, and just easier to see on black than other colors.

Also, in extreme light or direct sun, I have three more patches on the other side of the car, but they’re so minor you can barely see them so I’m not too bothered.

The detailer said they are from wet sanding at the factory and I can actually see the faint remains of a paint nib in the center of the larger circle in my thread above. So clearly they were trying to work out a paint defect but didn’t polish afterwards to remove the dull spot.

Anyway, the more you know...

Those are created by a 3rd party detailer which Tesla uses. They have to wash and prep each car so they rush it and leave burn marks when they buff out imperfections. The detailer will use colored waxes to hide the burn marks so you don't see it until a car wash.

Mine had these on my hood and fenders. I was able to fix a couple with compound and polish, but it wasn't my job so I took it to Tesla to get the rest fixed.

This is just poor detailers in a rush trying to push out 100s of cars per day.

Wanted to see if any other recent Tesla owners have had any issues or signs of poor paint jobs? I picked up my new Black model 3 SR+ on March 18th and about 3 weeks later after a careful wash I noticed a number of hazy white circular patches start to show through the paint. I found one on the top of my trunk and then did a thorough search of the entire car in the sun and discovered another 3 on the drivers side door and rear door. I tried to spot detail them but they wouldn't come out and it seemed like they were under the clear coat. It reminded me of leaving a wet glass on a nice wood table and it leaving a white solid circle stain. And with each hazy area there's a bunch of tiny circle/swirl marks.

I made an appointment and took it into the Tesla service center. The guy said they could probably buff it out and if not they would send it to the body shop to be repainted. He called me the next day and said their detail guys were confident they could buff it out. I picked up my car two days later and to be honest I could tell right away it was a pretty lazy detail job. Wax residue and missed streaks left everywhere. The hazy white coloration seemed to be gone but I could still kinda notice the areas where the spots used to be. I'm hoping they don't reappear. Anyone else have these on their car? They are very hard to see unless it's the right angle of bright light but when you catch them they are very apparent. I was able to capture some images before I took it in for detailing.

Image 1 - Imgur
Image 2 - Imgur
Image 3 - Imgur

I found this thread from 2018 for a Model S with the same thing so my guess is this may be a common paint defect. If anyone has experienced the same thing, Please share.

Similar Thread - Light patch on paint just showed up today!
We found one of these on our model 3 after delivery. I took some rubbing compound to it and it came right out.

Same here on the delivery.. See pics after 1300 miles usage.... ( 4 weeks summer tires, no dirt roads. ) Tesla Model 3 after 1300 miles - Google Drive

And just to say there is even no keyholes where to put keys?? I have really no clue about those scratches on my Model 3 p.

And this paint thing... Is another topic. Have a look: Consumer advocacy service

You can join to our Facebook group. "tesla model 3 owners worldwide with paint issues"

Tesla Model 3 owners worldwide with paint issues

Also check this:

Yes, I came on the forum today to see if anyone else was experiencing the same issue. I now have four perfectly round spots. I was wondering it was from the car wash. The car wash team says it's because I mainly park in covered parking and that the moisture in the building is causing the problem? I have always parked in the same two buildings with my previous cars with black paint and have never had this problem. Also, I have used their car wash service with no issues. Anyone know what the cause and if there is a way to prevent this? I don't want a polka dot Model 3 in the future. :)View attachment 421648
The service department was able to buff it out. Sounds like it was an oversight at the manufacturing plant. I'm glad it was resolved.