Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Mismatch Survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow! They really want to get these cars delivered asap. You should accept their paint offer as long as you get to choose where it goes and have them pay for it. Full custom color options for the entire car for FREEEEEE!
I wanted to wrap mine anyway. I have never seen a partial repaint the matched perfectly. If the agree to pay for the wrap I will keep it, otherwise it's going back.

Reactions: Ba2yev and aburrows
I rejected a white model Y in CA on saturday due to paint mismatch. My issue was the front bumper having a yellow tint to it. I spoke with the delivery manager and he said the front and rear bumper are made of PVC where the rest of the car is Aluminum. Therefore they undergo a different paint process. Sometimes the paint on the bumpers comes out slightly different due to this. He said model 3 has similar issues and they carried spare bumpers to replace as needed but for model Y they do not have spares yet. I do have a photo I can upload for those of you that are interested (photo does not do justice to in person variation).

Reactions: Ba2yev
I rejected a white model Y in CA on saturday due to paint mismatch. My issue was the front bumper having a yellow tint to it. I spoke with the delivery manager and he said the front and rear bumper are made of PVC where the rest of the car is Aluminum. Therefore they undergo a different paint process. Sometimes the paint on the bumpers comes out slightly different due to this. He said model 3 has similar issues and they carried spare bumpers to replace as needed but for model Y they do not have spares yet. I do have a photo I can upload for those of you that are interested (photo does not do justice to in person variation).

I've not seen it on front. Pics please?

The outer body panels aren't aluminum, are they? They use different grades of steel, that's why some Teslas have experienced rusting problems. If the panels were all aluminum they wouldn't be rusting.

I do see many makes/models of cars out there where the plastic bumpers don't perfectly match the steel or aluminum body panels. What you don't see are doors and fenders being mismatched, unless the car was in an accident and repainted poorly.

I've not seen it on front. Pics please?
Like I said doesn’t do it justice. Best place to see it is near the head light.
38929A0B-BB6D-434D-AD12-981BA3705A56.jpeg
8E2E94DF-0C01-481A-9D57-D7EDD36B100B.jpeg
002E8399-610F-49F5-8C78-F73028A03446.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: kevin1 and Ba2yev
Are you planning to get another Model Y? Does it mean you need to pick another trim?

Yes, I'm planning on getting another one but will wait until they've worked out most of the issues. If I'm banned from getting the same trim then I don't mine getting a different trim, either that or will just buy it under my wife's name since I initially bought it under only my name.

View attachment 555086 Awful! I only saw two white MYs in person. First one I didn't pay attention. Second one I ran into yesterday at Tesla store test drive parking lot. Walked around it and it looked ok to me including panel color.
So they are able to make them correct color.

those doors look like they were painted at different times. the shading looks slightly different or is that just me?

Reactions: Kelr316
those doors look like they were painted at different times. the shading looks slightly different or is that just me?
Didn't look that to me. I walked around the car for a bit, even looked at panels' fit. At least looking at it from the outside, had this car been offered to me for delivery, I'd take it. I was specifically trying to see if there was paint mismatch but didn't see it. It was however in artificial light at night, its possible this would be more obvious during daytime.

Wow...really terrible. I had originally ordered a white Performance model and after seeing so many of these types of paint issues, I switched to MSM. Glad I did. It's too bad because I love the white just didn't want to take the chance. I love MSM too!