Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint protection film worth the money??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a chip in my PPF from a rock. I got a small one foot square of the PPF from the installer. I cut a 1/2 inch diameter circle from it and stuck it to the cut mark.

Now a few months later, I can’t find the repair. It’s blended in nicely.
Just an FYI

Reactions: serpico007
I used to religiously add PPF to all my cars. As I get older my eyes aren't as discerning as they used to be so the aesthetic value of PPF to me diminished. But then I was faced with the argument that PPF will make the car easier to sell later. However, I never had a private party or a dealer tell me that they would pay me more since I had PPF (or pay less due to the absence of PPF). I'd rather spend the money elsewhere - personal preference.

I paid $2400 for a full front end of Suntek Ultra & Cquartz Finest (Whole car & Wheels). That entailed full hood, full fenders, bumper, lights(headlights & fog) and mirrors. Plus a 2 step decon prior to PPF an ceramic.

Located in NJ, about 25 miles west of NYC so good amount of road traffic.

I clean both my cars bi-weekly, sometimes weekly, and would notice chips way too much.
Can I ask where you got the PPF done? I live near KOP and NJ isnt that far from me. Why go with Suntek vs Xpel or 3M or maybe no choice? Thks

I received my PPF kit for my Model Y today. The kit was shipped in a 21" X 4" mailing tube. The ends of the tube were secured with packaging tape; it appears that Tesla has improved their packing for the PPF kit. The film comes in two pieces on sheet of what appears to be laminated paper with the 3M logo on the back of the paper. There are three places near the corners of the paper where the paper backing was crushed during shipping. (The blue plastic tool is the squeegee that comes with the kit for removing air bubbles when installing the PPF.)

The PPF pieces appear to be undamaged and should be able to be installed with no issues. I plan to install the PPF next week when it is a bit warmer.

PPF_1.JPG
PPF_2.jpg

Last edited:
I installed the Tesla PPF for the rear doors today. This was my first time installing PPF.

Steps:

1) Read the Tesla PPF kit installation pamphlet.
2) Review items in kit, locate additional items needed to install the PPF (spray bottle, baby shampoo, microfiber cloths, work light, flash light, something low to sit on.)
3) Wash vehicle (my Model Y was only slightly dirty from some rain last Thursday, I decided to use Optimum No Rinse (ONR.)
4) After washing my Model Y with ONR I used Windex and a micro fiber cloth on the area of rear doors where the PPF is installed (Windex contains ammonia, dissolves wax. I wanted to remove any remaining car wax from the door panels.)
5) After washing door panels with Windex I went over the panels a second time with some Invisible Glass (contains alcohol.) I probably did not need to do this last cleaning in preparation for the PPF.
6) Cut the 3M paper sheet backing with the PPF down the middle of the paper so the two halves of the PPF are now separated. Place each piece of PPF film with the backing paper against the door panel to get an idea of how it is supposed to be oriented on the panel. (Left can appear right, up can appear to be down; repeat as many times as necessary until you are 100% certain that you know which sheet of PPF goes on the driver's side (left side) and the passenger side (right side.)
7) Prepare the slip solution of 85% water (I used tap water) and 15% baby shampoo; pour the mixture into a clean spray bottle (prepare 8 to 10 ounces of the slip solution.)
8) Wet the part of the door panel where the PPF will be installed thoroughly with the slip solution; wet the exposed side of the PPF with the slip solution; carefully start peeling the PPF away from the paper backing applying more of the slip solution to the tacky side of the PPF as you go.
9) Carefully place the PPF against the door panel. While the PPF is wet you can easily move the PPF around for final placement. Be sure that the edges of the PPF do not overhang the bottom edge or rear edge of the door. (I estimate I left 1/16" of door panel exposed at the bottom edge and rear edge of the PPF.)
10) Apply more of the slip solution to the front surface of the PPF; use the provided squeegee tool to press out any bubbles. (This is the most time consuming step.) The large air bubbles are easy to see, remove. There may be multiple small air bubbles underneath the PPF. This is where a flashlight helps highlight the remaining small bubbles.
11) If the exposed surface of the PPF starts to dry apply more slip solution before using the squeegee to remove any remaining bubbles.
12) Check the fit of the PPF along the bottom edge and the rear edge of the door for any final adjustment. After a few minutes it will become harder to slide the PPF around as the adhesive begins to set.
13) Dry off the PPF and use the flashlight to look for any remaining small air bubbles. Always apply slip solution to the PPF if you have to use the squeegee to remove any remaining air bubbles. Make sure all of the air bubbles, large and small, have now been removed from beneath the PPF.
14) Wipe off the PPF and the surrounding door with a damp microfiber cloth. Dry the door panel being careful to avoid contacting the newly installed PPF.
15) Wait 24 hours before exposing the newly installed PPF to any rain, water etc.

Last edited:
I installed the Tesla PPF for the rear doors today. This was my first time installing PPF.

Steps:

1) Read the Tesla PPF kit installation pamphlet.
2) Review items in kit, locate additional items needed to install the PPF (spray bottle, baby shampoo, microfiber cloths, work light, flash light, something low to sit on.)
3) Wash vehicle (my Model Y was only slightly dirty from some rain last Thursday, I decided to use Optimum No Rinse (ONR.)
4) After washing my Model Y with ONR I used Windex and a micro fiber cloth on the area of rear doors where the PPF is installed (Windex contains ammonia, dissolves wax. I wanted to remove any remaining car wax from the door panels.)
5) After washing door panels with Windex I went over the panels a second time with some Invisible Glass (contains alcohol.) I probably did not need to do this last cleaning in preparation for the PPF.
6) Cut the 3M paper sheet backing with the PPF down the middle of the paper so the two halves of the PPF are now separated. Place each piece of PPF film with the backing paper against the door panel to get an idea of how it is supposed to be oriented on the panel. (Left can appear right, up can appear to be down; repeat as many times as necessary until you are 100% certain that you know which sheet of PPF goes on the driver's side (left side) and the passenger side (right side.)
7) Prepare the slip solution of 85% water (I used tap water) and 15% baby shampoo; pour the mixture into a clean spray bottle (prepare 8 to 10 ounces of the slip solution.)
8) Wet the part of the door panel where the PPF will be installed thoroughly with the slip solution; wet the exposed side of the PPF with the slip solution; carefully start peeling the PPF away from the paper backing applying more of the slip solution to the tacky side of the PPF as you go.
9) Carefully place the PPF against the door panel. While the PPF is wet you can easily move the PPF around for final placement. Be sure that the edges of the PPF do not overhang the bottom edge or rear edge of the door. (I estimate I left 1/16" of door panel exposed at the bottom edge and rear edge of the PPF.)
10) Apply more of the slip solution to the front surface of the PPF; use the provided squeegee tool to press out any bubbles. (This is the most time consuming step.) The large air bubbles are easy to see, remove. There may be multiple small air bubbles underneath the PPF. This is where a flashlight helps highlight the remaining small bubbles.
11) If the exposed surface of the PPF starts to dry apply more slip solution before using the squeegee to remove any remaining bubbles.
12) Check the fit of the PPF along the bottom edge and the rear edge of the door for any final adjustment. After a few minutes it will become harder to slide the PPF around as the adhesive begins to set.
13) Dry off the PPF and use the flashlight to look for any remaining small air bubbles. Always apply slip solution to the PPF if you have to use the squeegee to remove any remaining air bubbles. Make sure all of the air bubbles, large and small, have now been removed from beneath the PPF.
14) Wipe off the PPF and the surrounding door with a damp microfiber cloth. Dry the door panel being careful to avoid contacting the newly installed PPF.
15) Wait 24 hours before exposing the newly installed PPF to any rain, water etc.
18 hours after installing the PPF I checked and found several small air bubbles on each installed PPF panel. At this point the air bubbles can't be coaxed to the edge of the PPF so I guess I will just live with them. The bubbles are in the same part of the PPF, on curve of the PPF on the side closest to the front door about 5 inches above the bottom edge of the door. If you decide to install the PPF be sure to triple check the PPF installation for air bubbles before putting away your squeegee.

I ordered a new 2021 Model S for my wife. I'm getting a total body XPEL wrap from a high-quality detailing shop in Warminster, PA, Menard Detailing. the cost will be $5,500 to $6,000 which includes ceramic coating the whole car. I'm adding $450 to apply a ceramic 30% window tint film to all windows except for the glass roof and front windshield.

I'm getting a PPF full wrap next week in Greenville, SC with Suntek Ultra on my white model Y for $3200 which is a phenomenal price based on other postings. I did a partial on my model 3 but decided to do a full since I plan to keep the Y much longer. The one thing I liked about the Suntek besides the lower price is the hydrophobic feature that reduces the need for a ceramic coating although some still get it done according to my installer. This film is 8 mil but they also sell a new 11 mil Ultra Defense which provides greater protection and is primarily recommended for high impact areas. I know that most people get Xpel and that's what I used on the model 3 but Suntek has very good reviews too.
Where you did in greenville?

I've had 3 cars with PPF. 2 were partial and one fully covered. Here is my experience: Don't believe the b.s. about self healing it still gets fine swirls. I PPF'd my Porsche with the intention of taking it thru automated car washes- the swirls do not come out even with a heat gun. In terms of rock protection, remember if a rock hits the front you still see an unsightly divit in the film. This is no different than seeing a paint chip. Yes you can certainly remove the entire panel and replace it. You have to absorb the cost of the replacement and hope the rock did not penetrate deep into the paint and then you have to repair that. On the other hand if you don't have PPF, you could always get the paint chip repaired. I have a Model Y on order and I am still on the fence if I should PPF the car or use the money elsewhere.
What did you end up doing?

Reactions: SagarPatel