Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint protection & Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
for a new tesla, how much sense does it make to get a paint protection film for the entire car ? Pros & Cons?

Also, MY has great tinting on the roof/back windows. Does it make sense to also tint for front passenger windows and maybe the windshield?

Any practical or useful accessory recommendations for MY would also be much appreciated

Thanx

I've had it on my past two MS's. Probably will not get it on the MY.

Does a fantastic job protecting the paint.
Easy cleaning off bugs

BUT, when the film is damaged by debris, I feel it's far more obvious then without. The film ends up with a visible tear. And short of replacing the area, you have to live with it.

I've had it on my past two MS's. Probably will not get it on the MY.

Does a fantastic job protecting the paint.
Easy cleaning off bugs

BUT, when the film is damaged by debris, I feel it's far more obvious then without. The film ends up with a visible tear. And short of replacing the area, you have to live with it.
Thanx, thats quite helpful. Curious why you wouldnt do it for the Y?

for a new tesla, how much sense does it make to get a paint protection film for the entire car ? Pros & Cons?

Also, MY has great tinting on the roof/back windows. Does it make sense to also tint for front passenger windows and maybe the windshield?

Any practical or useful accessory recommendations for MY would also be much appreciated

Thanx
The back window and hatch are not tinted from the factory. It’s just colored glass and does nothing to keep out heat and solar rays.

I was dead set against PPF so I got my car tinted right away for the Texas heat. Well, first road trip on I-35 I hit roads works around San Antonio like I’ve never seen in my life. I had at least 100 rocks bounce off the car. My paint on the front and hood had around 35 chips plus some minor nicks. I only wish I had put the PPF on when it was new. They did a great job fixing the damage before applying PPF but I still have some noticeable damage.

I was dead set against PPF so I got my car tinted right away for the Texas heat. Well, first road trip on I-35 I hit roads works around San Antonio like I’ve never seen in my life. I had at least 100 rocks bounce off the car. My paint on the front and hood had around 35 chips plus some minor nicks. I only wish I had put the PPF on when it was new. They did a great job fixing the damage before applying PPF but I still have some noticeable damage.

So it does make sense to do it i guess. my other car a beemer had a windshield crack due to stone chips coming off the highway onto it and then i had to get the whole thing replaced as the crack started crawling. Does ceramic tint or PPF protect glass in anyway?

Here ... all of these impacts have left the PPF like this. So, Im not convinced it would look worse without the PPF. But ...that's my take.
20200731_170006.jpg 20200731_170014.jpg 20200731_170031.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Rg3500
So it does make sense to do it i guess. my other car a beemer had a windshield crack due to stone chips coming off the highway onto it and then i had to get the whole thing replaced as the crack started crawling. Does ceramic tint or PPF protect glass in anyway?
Tint is applied from inside, so I doubt it would help more than a glass coverage from the insurance.

Reactions: Oak541Y
I just got mine back from doing this very thing. PPF on all painted surfaces. My rational is that I live in eastern Ontario Canada where we get tons of snow and use salt on the roads. I know TESLA is known for soft paint (true of not) and wanted to give my car the best chance at staying nice :).

Normally on other cars I've only done mirrors and Hood, but wanted to protect this car a little more.

I also tinted my front Windows to match the rear (20%). I do this to all my cars, but the extra driver was to help regulate temperature to hopefully save energy.