Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint scratch from factory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Need some recommendations.

My car came with a chip/scratch on the Pilar down low on the inside Side...

Do i let Tesla touch it up? Tesla repaint the pillar? Or buy 3rd party touch up and do it myself?

I’m hesitant to repaint the pillar with fear it will never look right..

Thoughts

FCC588C6-FF18-4965-BCA6-E31790CFAB50.jpeg

I assume the paint shops can protect the rest of the car if painting pillar

I have ceramic coating and don’t want overspray on the rest of the car as that would be a problem

Yeah painting that will be an easy process. Nice clean cut offs and the shop will just mask over the other exterior body panels so it shouldn't damage your ceramic coating. However the roof rail will need reapplication.

Didn't whoever applied the ceramic coating not notify you of this scratch before? Is it possible they scratched it somehow?

It was there before..i had told him Tesla was going to touch it up so he told me he would re apply as needed to that area..very easy going.

I wanted to get the ppf and the coating on the rest of the car as my appointment with Tesla keeps getting pushed out as they are waiting for a interior hatch piece that is scratched up...

So is the consensus to have Tesla repaint that entire area or touch up ? Or try touch up first?

I would just take it to either a Tesla bodyshop or a Tesla approved bodyshop and have them repaint the entire area. If it's a reputable shop that knows what they're doing, this is a very easy fix. If this was us, we would remove the weatherstripping, rope the glass, pop out the vent glass (and cut off the paint line there), then repaint that whole area. If done correctly, can't even tell it ever happened. Touch up is obviously easier and we have done that for those that specifically requested it. It's just not our preferred method.

I would just take it to either a Tesla bodyshop or a Tesla approved bodyshop and have them repaint the entire area. If it's a reputable shop that knows what they're doing, this is a very easy fix. If this was us, we would remove the weatherstripping, rope the glass, pop out the vent glass (and cut off the paint line there), then repaint that whole area. If done correctly, can't even tell it ever happened. Touch up is obviously easier and we have done that for those that specifically requested it. It's just not our preferred method.

Yeah I agree with this 100%. Full refinish is the only proper way, and as mentioned if done properly will not be noticable.

For me personally I would never be satisfied with a touch up, but that's just me. If you're going to go with full refinish you may be at the mercy of Tesla approving it before you can get the work done unless you're willing to pay out of pocket. But if you move forward at a 3rd party shop without their approval first I wouldn't be expecting to get reimbursed

Reactions: Diamond Hills
I updated the service request that i am requesting an authorized Tesla shop to repaint the pillar correctly and protect the rest of the car from overspray/damage... ill make sure i meet with the shop before they work on the car to emphasize protecting the rest of the car to prevent damage to the ppf and ceramic.

Like Chris said, make sure Tesla has approved it first or you may get stuck footing the bill. A lot of it depends on the TAB and their relationship with the local service center/delivery center. We're very fortunate in that the service centers we work with will genuinely fight for their customers. If we do our due diligence, they trust our experience and experts and will usually approve most of what we ask for. That isn't always the case, unfortunately.

I'd also recommend asking if the TAB shop you go to is willing to give you in progress pics, Larry. For example, we update our customers at least every two days and our estimators will either send photos/video of each stage of the repair progress. Customers can see the process as it unfolds and we try to be as transparent as possible. We've found this has alleviated a lot of concerns from both the customer and Tesla and has contributed to the great relationship we have with their service centers. Good luck and keep us updated!

Reactions: DennyL and Chris88
Like Chris said, make sure Tesla has approved it first or you may get stuck footing the bill. A lot of it depends on the TAB and their relationship with the local service center/delivery center. We're very fortunate in that the service centers we work with will genuinely fight for their customers. If we do our due diligence, they trust our experience and experts and will usually approve most of what we ask for. That isn't always the case, unfortunately.

I'd also recommend asking if the TAB shop you go to is willing to give you in progress pics, Larry. For example, we update our customers at least every two days and our estimators will either send photos/video of each stage of the repair progress. Customers can see the process as it unfolds and we try to be as transparent as possible. We've found this has alleviated a lot of concerns from both the customer and Tesla and has contributed to the great relationship we have with their service centers. Good luck and keep us updated!

Hey just a side question for you. What program do you guys use when you provide progress updates and photos? Or do you just text and email them directly?

We give our customers the choice. We can either call you, text you, video chat (using Zoom, Hangouts, etc.) or use our management system to push automated e-mails to you directly at each stage of the process. Most of our customer opt for texts with photos and videos. We try to tailor it to what you feel comfortable with.

Just heard from Tesla. They are telling me since it wasn’t noted at delivery they will not do a shop to correct it.
I’m sure I’m about to have a fight on this. I may just go girl touch up and call it a day

Well that sucks. Were you maybe planning to have a PPF (paint protection film) applied to your car? If so, most of those service shops, the good ones anyway, offer professional paint work, which needs to be done pretty much always, prior to the film being applied. Maybe go that route as an all-in-one solution if Tesla bails on you.

The guy i used for ppf i dont think did that kind of work... how is the Tesla paint touch up kit? Someone mentioned to get dr colorchip

I will try and fight with them when i bring it in for service that I didn’t notice it until i washed the car as its kind of not a spot your eye goes to... see where it goes with them

I have to say its kind of BS considering i have body panel alignment issues that i figure i can live with and complaining about 1 small scratch and they are refusing on it...

Maybe its time to hit them up with all the panel alignment and defects that are part of the car especially if they are fighting me on a simple paint scratch.

We give our customers the choice. We can either call you, text you, video chat (using Zoom, Hangouts, etc.) or use our management system to push automated e-mails to you directly at each stage of the process. Most of our customer opt for texts with photos and videos. We try to tailor it to what you feel comfortable with.

Interesting, sounds like you guys put a lot of effort into making things convenient customer. Good for you guys

Just heard from Tesla. They are telling me since it wasn’t noted at delivery they will not do a shop to correct it.

I’m sure I’m about to have a fight on this. I may just go girl touch up and call it a day

Yeesh, sorry to hear. If it were me I'd continue to fight to get it done right. Maybe get a couple quotes from TABS in the meantime.

You have 100 miles to report it. Was it within the 100 miles and reported to the delivery team? My repairs are pending approval for TAB, were all reported within 100 miles to the delivery team, and were escalated to the service team.

Model Y PUP Pearl White - Issues