Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panel Gaps in higher number vins?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Hank42

Legacy Supporter
Sep 30, 2012
United States - NY
I have an early production line MS - Nov/12 manufacturing date. It's silver. I had some nice gaps on the front fenders that were easily rectified by adjusting the fender fastening bolts.
However, the chrome strips under the doors really annoyed me from day one, so I got some matte black vinyl and blacked those chrome pieces out. Now, when looking at it, I can see how out of whack the doors are. They are not parallel to the bottom sill at all. I guess the chrome was there as an optical delusion to hide such imperfections.

Do the newer models rolling down the assembly line have such issues? Do we know how many improvements have been made to the line since the early days? I'd love to buy a 2nd MS, but the panel alignment issues have got to improve.

Note to self: buy a black MS next time!

Last edited:
My Sig had chrome alignment issues on one door. Tesla raised the door and adjusted the trim = 90% better. The rest of my trim and panels were/are fine.

Raised the door huh? Hmm, that seems to be what's needed. I feel silly for taking it in for "service" when there the car drives fine. Was that warrantee, or did they charge? I didn't know they could raise the door at a service center. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
Received delivery on May 3. Silver. Has a several millimeter mismatch between adjacent chrome strips under the windows on the passenger side. Pointed it out at time of delivery and told it was within spec and nothing could be done since the doors themselves were aligned perfectly (and they were). Still it could be better if they are shooting for perfection. Everything else lines up five stars without gaps.

Raised the door huh? Hmm, that seems to be what's needed. I feel silly for taking it in for "service" when there the car drives fine. Was that warrantee, or did they charge? I didn't know they could raise the door at a service center. Thanks for the tip.

It should be free. Just call and make an appointment for when its convenient for you, and to find out how long it would take them to adjust it.

I have a friend with a Sig S who noticed the bad fit & finish originally which became more apparent later when he had to replace a fender. The new stamped fender had even worse fit to his early vehicle. He inspected my new(er) S and is pleased for me that the panel fit and finish is excellent. I have no complaints.

My S delivered in early March had only one noticeable gap - the trunk shut tighter and aligned perfectly on right side, but was raised up a bit with a gap on the left. They tried to adjust somewhat at the service center but it didn't do much, however I had to take it to the Tesla-authorized body shop for a door replacement (someone slid into me in the snow on my second day!), and while there the body shop guys did some more tweaking and pretty much resolved it, at no charge. The body shop manager said that he had seen several cars with that gap and he gave that feedback to Tesla who I assume addressed whatever was causing the misalignment.