Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panic! Can't Charge!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI: This is what happened to me today:

Yesterday the charge port started misbehaving; showing that it was open while I was driving, though it wasn't. When I arrived home the charge port was reluctant to open, but finally did and I plugged in the charge cable.

Today (after a full charge overnight) the charge port was still showing open on the dash even though it wasn't. Worse yet, when I returned home the charge port wouldn't open at all.

Call to Tesla Technical Support, who told me that pushing in on the rear of the charge port would force it open (it has a magnetic catch). Problem is, even after I get the port open the car won't accept the charge cable! No white/blue light, and can't insert the plug. I'm freaking out (nearest Service Center is 120 miles away) and Tesla tech support is puzzled.

The solution: Reboot the Model X. Tesla tech support says to power down the car, wait a bit, and power up again. And everything is fixed; charge port door, dashboard indicator, and most importantly the charge cable is now accepted.

I'm reminded again that the Tesla is actually a PC on wheels.:rolleyes:

Good ..one more problem solved, hope you don't have to reboot often :wink:

Turns out the problem is still not fixed. If I fuss with the charge port for awhile I can get it to accept the charge cable. After a few seconds it actually starts the pulsing green light. Wierd effect yesterday - went to plug in the cable and could see the port light on with the port door still closed. I've contacted the Service Center manager.

Turns out the problem is still not fixed. If I fuss with the charge port for awhile I can get it to accept the charge cable. After a few seconds it actually starts the pulsing green light. Weird effect yesterday - went to plug in the cable and could see the port light on with the port door still closed. I've contacted the Service Center manager.

Hopefully, your no charge Service Center visit will get resolved quickly. Keep us current on your progress.

Imagine what would happen if Tesla used Windows as an operating system?

I think that this problem with the charge port happened to me a few weeks ago. And, a reboot fixed it. When I picked up my car (the first time), it wouldn't charge: white->blue->but no blinking green. After 6 days at the factory, I think they replaced the on-board charger.

Outside temperature display on the instrument panel still not working, just shows "--- ∘F"

I had a weird thing start last night. Charge port lights are out - no lights at all, but it charges fine. Tried rebooting both screens a couple of times - no help. Spoke to Tesla Tech Support and they logged a call to my local SC for a call back tomorrow (today is Sunday). Luckily it doesn't affect charging.

OHM my God! WATT's up with these reVOLTing puns?

- - - Updated - - -

I had a weird thing start last night. Charge port lights are out - no lights at all, but it charges fine. Tried rebooting both screens a couple of times - no help. Spoke to Tesla Tech Support and they logged a call to my local SC for a call back tomorrow (today is Sunday). Luckily it doesn't affect charging.

UPDATE - Local Service Center (Paramus) was able to fix the problem by cycling/re-calibrating the port and door. They ordered a new port to play safe.

FURTHER UPDATE - On a road trip in VA. Port is acting up by not locking the HPWC connector in. After reinserting it many times it finally accepts it. Hope I don't have a problem at the SC's on the way home tomorrow. Have a call in to Paramus.

OHM my God! WATT's up with these reVOLTing puns?

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE - Local Service Center (Paramus) was able to fix the problem by cycling/re-calibrating the port and door. They ordered a new port to play safe.

FURTHER UPDATE - On a road trip in VA. Port is acting up by not locking the HPWC connector in. After reinserting it many times it finally accepts it. Hope I don't have a problem at the SC's on the way home tomorrow. Have a call in to Paramus.

Tesla replaced the charge port and all is well with the world.

It seems the latest update has a problem with charge ports and locking; since the most recent update, my wife has attempted to plug in twice, and the locking pin was engaged so that she couldn't plug the HPWC in. She touched the charge door, it opened, but wouldn't release the pin. She had to open the car and unlock the port via the charging screen. Anyone else?

It seems the latest update has a problem with charge ports and locking; since the most recent update, my wife has attempted to plug in twice, and the locking pin was engaged so that she couldn't plug the HPWC in. She touched the charge door, it opened, but wouldn't release the pin. She had to open the car and unlock the port via the charging screen. Anyone else?

I have not had this issue, what firmware are you on? I'm on 2.14.66