Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic roof creaking noise.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't have it until recently. I'm still not 100% sure that's what it is, but there's a tapping sound coming from above and behind me. It's usually on the freeway that I notice it. I think I'll wait and just have them do all the rattles at once. P107XX

I didn't have it until recently. I'm still not 100% sure that's what it is, but there's a tapping sound coming from above and behind me. It's usually on the freeway that I notice it. I think I'll wait and just have them do all the rattles at once. P107XX
It's the hamster in the frunk. Some of them learn to throw their voice. It's kind of a neat parlor trick at parties. Anyway, you have to give him food and water every 6,000 miles or so.

At what point did everyone start noticing the creaking? Was it right away or after some time? I just received mine and VIN is 12xxx. Haven't noticed any creaking yet.
My pano roof was totally silent till just over 5000 miles and a day shy of 4 months old. Then the creak started suddenly on 9/2. It's the one described above coming from the cross member. What is concerning is that my car had the preemptive pano roof creak fix service bulletin done Aug 12 while in for an unrelated matter. I'm scheduled to go in for a fix next week 9/10 - 11.

My car also had the passenger's A-pillar rattle fixed twice. The second time seems to be holding well.

I also had the rattle from the seat belt origin described above which is indeed caused by the belt catching on the plastic. I fixed this with adhesive felt strips on the rim of the lip.

Just got the car back from my third attempt at the pano roof creak and rattle. Two distinct noises for me. One is a long "creak" when you are going up parking ramps, etc that sounds like the roof is flexing. The second sound is a rattle that you hear on bumpy roads like something is loose. The first time, both sounds seemed to go away but came back within 10-14 days. Second attempt did nothing for either. Third attempt (got the car back Friday) seems to have fixed the "creak" but the loose rattle noise is still very noticeable and I'm sure the creak will be back soon. This is very frustrating as it is not a cosmetic fix that you know can be fixed someday. Service is very nice and seems confident each time that they have some new "fix", but doesn't seem to be happening. I'm willing to try one more time, but started reading the language on the lemon laws as I don't sense this is fixable. VIN 13,XXX.

I'm at 4400 miles. My creak was "fixed" about 5 months ago, which improved it but didn't eliminate it. Lately, it's been getting worse--very noticeable. Unfortunately, it appears from the above post that Tesla still doesn't have a real fix for the issue. Having said that, I'll try taking it in again--mostly for the loud clicking in the steering at low speeds that started recently, but I'll see what they can do about the roof.

Fluxemag -

I still have the occasional "tapping" sound behind my ear above from the pano roof. The seat belt mechanism is not to blame. I found that putting upward pressure on the posterior glass above the rear seating (where the metallic clamp is under the black plastic/metal bar takes away the noise). You have to drive with the black plastic and metal bar off the car and you will see the metal brace holding the roof in place. It's really really odd and Tesla says to take that brace out and replace it would require cutting out the pano roof. Any updates on your end? I'm hesitant to have them take apart the car again..they already did it the first time when they replaced my headliner with alcantara.

I had my car in 3 times for pano roof fixes. The last time they seemed to have fixed it. The first couple times they followed the standard service bulletins but that did not solve the creak. This last trip they further isolated every possible rubbing point with adhesive backed foam which is now packed everywhere imaginable in my pano roof crossbar. This was a non-service bulletin, logical attempt to isolate the creaks and it seems to have really worked. Those still having pano roof creaks might want to explore this type of solution with their SCs.

I had my car in 3 times for pano roof fixes. The last time they seemed to have fixed it. The first couple times they followed the standard service bulletins but that did not solve the creak. This last trip they further isolated every possible rubbing point with adhesive backed foam which is now packed everywhere imaginable in my pano roof crossbar. This was a non-service bulletin, logical attempt to isolate the creaks and it seems to have really worked. Those still having pano roof creaks might want to explore this type of solution with their SCs.

This seems to make sense since I can re-create the sound by pushing on the glass and crossbar. I'll bring it up and see if that works, but a good suggestion. Again, the SC is very accommodating in attempting to fix, but just getting frustrated on the back and forth on what seems like an easy issue to solve.

My story is similar to ddruz's. When we first got the car over a year ago, it was pretty quiet. But the pano roof slowly seemed to get more and more creaks. They were mostly when it was hot. It wasn't really loud, but you definitely noticed it, and it happened a lot.

About four months ago, I took the car in to get the cubby installed. I asked them to look at the pano roof at the same time. They followed the then-current bulletin. It was different when we got it back...but I'm not sure it was better. It seemed to creak mostly when cold, instead of when hot. Again, not loud - but at times fairly constant.

Three weeks ago we took it in for its one-year service, and I asked if there were any pano updates. I was told there was a new bulletin for the pano, and more important a c-pillar brightwork bulletin that fixes noises that appear to come from the pano.

Wow, what a difference. The car is silent now!

My story is similar to ddruz's. When we first got the car over a year ago, it was pretty quiet. But the pano roof slowly seemed to get more and more creaks. They were mostly when it was hot. It wasn't really loud, but you definitely noticed it, and it happened a lot.

About four months ago, I took the car in to get the cubby installed. I asked them to look at the pano roof at the same time. They followed the then-current bulletin. It was different when we got it back...but I'm not sure it was better. It seemed to creak mostly when cold, instead of when hot. Again, not loud - but at times fairly constant.

Three weeks ago we took it in for its one-year service, and I asked if there were any pano updates. I was told there was a new bulletin for the pano, and more important a c-pillar brightwork bulletin that fixes noises that appear to come from the pano.

Wow, what a difference. The car is silent now!

I have had a similar experience to Chad. The service center has applied two or three pano updates and the last time we took the car in for work about three weeks ago, they seemed to have been able to resolve all our sound issues (except for a slight wind noise from a seal on the driver side, but it's very minor and they are going to fix that when ever we get around to getting the car to them).

The car is silent now, where as before the front defrost vent retrofit would make sounds, the dash pad would creek, the Pano roof would also do it's thing and the A pillars would make a bit of sound. What ever they did this go around solved them all.

It's only been about 1,000 miles since we had the work done, but it appears to be holding. We'll see how it does over the next couple of months.

I had what I'd characterize as very minor creaking when the car was brand new, but it went away on it's own. At my recent servicing, Tesla said they had a TSB on the pano creak and would apply it. Told them mine wasn't creaking, but I think they did the work anyway. Still no creaking sounds from it....

They did the pano roof creak TSB on my car about two weeks ago, even though I didn't have the problem. Guess what...now I do.
This exact same thing happened to me after they did a TSB repair on my never-before-creaking pano roof while in for another matter. It took them two more visits to fix it but they did. Take your car back and insist the creak be fixed. They will do so even if it takes more than one visit. Solutions exist.

Pano Roof Summary:1) Noise during excessive speed
; 2) Applied first alleged fix; did not work; 3) Took it back, they took out the whole glass and put a new glass (excessive noise fixed); 4) Pano continued to creek and make noises; 5) took it back and simple fix was to put felt on the metal part in the front middle part of the pano which was rubbing against the pano frame (issue fixed).6) two day later CREAKING NOISE CAME BACK!
Taking it back next week. Any suggestions from those who have had it fixed? Cause of problem? The creaking noise gies away as soon as I open or vent sunroof. Most noticeable at low speeds.

Last edited: