Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic sunroof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do not open the roof at ~80 MPH (or at least don't try and close it) I / my tech did this on the Fremont test drive. The roof wouldn't close all the way when going too fast. I was passing someone on the freeway when the tech was showing the pano to my passengers. It is noisy at that speed and I think the front flap was pushed back so it wouldn't seal properly when closed

Pre-production issue?

There has been lots of discussion about excess heat with the Pano roof. I had a pano roof on my VW TDI Wagon, and found that I kept the sun screen closed all winter because the car was too cold with all of that glass in the roof. Does anyone have any experience yet with the Model S pano roof in cold weather driving (eg. 1 hour drive in 0 degrees F (-20C))?

I love the look of the pano roof, but my VW experience is pushing me in the other direction.

David

I didn't even think about that, but I also keep my screen closed because I feel the head area is colder with it open

I had a pano roof on my VW TDI Wagon, and found that I kept the sun screen closed all winter because the car was too cold with all of that glass in the roof.

My experience with my CTS's pano roof is exactly the opposite. I end up with the sunshade mostly closed in the summer because it is just too hot/bright, but leave it open almost all winter to let the sun/heat in. After work on a freezing, but sunny day, my car is actually nice and warm inside.

Not sure what is holding up Tesla with the sunshades. I was riding in my grandmother's Kia Optima the other day that has almost the exact same panoramic roof at the Model S. Not only does her car have sunshades, they are powered and open and close with a flick of a button. If Kia can do it I'm sure Tesla can.

I used my pano roof for the first time today. When more than 50% open the noise and pressure fluctuation is hard on the ears. It is only tolerable when at least one window is partially open or the roof is less than 50% open. Is there a fix for this? Perhaps a larger deflector?

Not sure what is holding up Tesla with the sunshades. I was riding in my grandmother's Kia Optima the other day that has almost the exact same panoramic roof at the Model S. Not only does her car have sunshades, they are powered and open and close with a flick of a button. If Kia can do it I'm sure Tesla can.

Perhaps they are designing a similar unit and formulating a distribution plan...only time will tell

Perhaps they are designing a similar unit and formulating a distribution plan...only time will tell

To set the record straight..........................Tesla does not have a development project authorized and has no intention of providing THE PANO ROOF SUNSHADE RETROFIT KIT previously promised.

I have just had a "debate" with them on the subject and they will NOT be providing PANO ROOF SUNSHADES to any MS owners. Not happy about this and consider it a huge lack of integrity on Tesla's part.

I am working with a local custom shop to develop my own, since I consider it a MUST here in hot and sunny Nevada.

To set the record straight..........................Tesla does not have a development project authorized and has no intention of providing THE PANO ROOF SUNSHADE RETROFIT KIT previously promised.

I have just had a "debate" with them on the subject and they will NOT be providing PANO ROOF SUNSHADES to any MS owners. Not happy about this and consider it a huge lack of integrity on Tesla's part.

I am working with a local custom shop to develop my own, since I consider it a MUST here in hot and sunny Nevada.
Frankrb - Would you mind posting your written correspondence with Tesla to this effect? A few months ago I wrote them and was assured the pano roof sunshade was still to be forthcoming. Thanks.

I also would be interested in the source for this. While the sunroof does block a good amount of light/heat... as summer is ramping up here I can feel a decent amount of heat entering the cabin... my understanding is that the shade was forthcoming...

Thanks.

I personally don't need a sunshade (I don't live on the desert SW, but it has already gotten to the 90s in the mid-Atlantic). I think the pano does a very good job of blocking most heat. It is much cooler than my previous car (with a small sunroof compared to the pano) when I had the sunshade open in it.

I personally don't need a sunshade (I don't live on the desert SW, but it has already gotten to the 90s in the mid-Atlantic). I think the pano does a very good job of blocking most heat. It is much cooler than my previous car (with a small sunroof compared to the pano) when I had the sunshade open in it.

That is fine if you are not interested. However, the fact remains that Tesla advertised on its website that the manual shade would be included with the panoramic roof and many folks who do care made their buying decision based on that information.

Larry

as summer is ramping up here I can feel a decent amount of heat entering the cabin... my understanding is that the shade was forthcoming

Decent amount indeed.

uploadfromtaptalk1372544908523.jpg

A few months ago I wrote them and was assured the pano roof sunshade was still to be forthcoming.

My correspondence from June 11, 2013:
BrianMan said:
mythical accessories

I haven't heard anything since mid-2012 about the panoramic roof sunshade (that we never saw) or the rear "cupholder and armrest" accessory (that was demo'd).

Can we get an official update on these items? Are they officially cancelled, on the "maybe" list, or in active development?

I'm more interested in the latter, but I'd appreciate an official Tesla update on both. A blog post or an forum-quotable response to this email would be great.
(omitted)@teslamotors.com said:
Thank you for reaching out to Tesla regarding the update on future accessories. We do not currently have any new information available regarding the development for either product, unfortunately, but neither has been removed from the possibility of future development.