Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic sunroof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To those who have received deliveries with the pano roof:

What is your impression of the fit and finish of pano roof interior top bar? Granted, the sunshade will be a forthcoming option if requested, but does the top bar now appear to be a finished product? There was speculation for a while that it might be modified in appearance or covered in the same material as the headliner. Have you been given any indication that it will be modified in any way if you elect not to get the sunshade or is it otherwise now completed? Thanks.

The bar looks fine. I no longer plan to get the sunshade as I don't think it's really needed and adds bulk most likely to that bar.

I personally hope they don't try to cover the bar in headliner material. In black, it blends into the dark glass better and makes it look like one big panoramic roof. Covered in the light headliner, it would look like two separate sunroofs.

This "add it later if you want it" solution sounds great. I probably won't, but folks in the really hot climates may choose to.

I agree with dsm. The bar looks fine (perhaps a very dark brown nice matte plastic; very different than cheap glossy black plastic I'd seen on an early version). I assume they will offer us a sunshade, but we won't want one.

It's hard to get a picture of the whole thing and focus and see texture; so here's two pictures, one of each end.

IMG_4704.JPG

IMG_4705.JPG

I've only seen the black bars. That pic looks the same to me vs test drive cars I've been in unless I'm missing something. In the video you see it at 5:40 and Gain at 11:30. I always thought they were slimming I down until I heard it was for safety reasons and the non pano cars have the bars too.

Like to hear some feedback from actual owners on this. We've heard various opinions about the visibility of the 17 inch display in bright sunlight with the sunroof open.

I've driven two models - one with the sunroof and one without. With the roof closed, the display seemed ok. There wasn't any sense that it was washed out, but compared to the vehicle without the sunroof, a little less visibility. With the sunroof open, there was some definite glare. I didn't focus on this because of the limited time to evaluate everything else. But, it stuck in my head.

How has visibility been for you early recipients?

I haven't specifically parked at any angles to check it out; but have not noticed any problems viewing the screen so far.

I think somebody did this long ago with a demo car, but we tried polarized sunglasses today--you can see both screens just fine. The dash screen is fine even if you rotate the glasses; but the 17" screen goes dark if you rotate your glasses 90 degrees. Those of us with polarized sunglasses and Roadster stereos are glad to find the Model S does not have THAT problem.

Now that more and more people are starting to take delivery, I'd love to hear if any owners have had any issues with sunburn at all. While I get that the pano roof blocks xx% of light/heat, I'm still concerned about the top of my head.

Since my hair isn't quite as, ahem, full as it was in my younger days, it's damn near impossible for me to spend any amount of time outside these days without a cap on unless I want to get a raging sunburn through what's left of my hair.

I love the idea of the pano roof, but not if I'm going to worry about the top of my head baking off while commuting to work.

I'm sure one or two of you out there can relate to my situation. ;-)

PS - Just had my first ever test drive at the Santana Row store last night. Absolutely extraordinary!

FWIW, the biggest complaints I am hearing is regarding the noise. There are three owners in particular that I have spoken with (not texted, or emailed, or tweeted) who have complained about the sound from the roof. Either

(1) The fairing will "flap" at high speeds
(2) The roof, when 100% open will make a whistle or a concavity type sound, even at lower speeds
(3) One individual mentioned that it he can hear road noise through it even when closed.

Now, as for #3, I am a bit skeptical as there is no benchmark this person has to plot against body-colored roof versus his pano.

And for (1) and (3), I think these are valid points. However, when I had my MB E320 and E350, I found myself closing the sunroof, even at 45-55 mph just based on road noise alone, so I am guessing that this argument may also be situational (e.g. don't put yourself in this situation).

Rain is not a big deal here (I am in Dallas area) and I don't think the UV is going to be too much of a problem. I don't drive shirtless and I have hair. If my arms burn in the summer, then I will be quite displeased and there may be some gnashing of teeth pending.

WJ
McKinney Texas

Do not open the roof at ~80 MPH (or at least don't try and close it) I / my tech did this on the Fremont test drive. The roof wouldn't close all the way when going too fast. I was passing someone on the freeway when the tech was showing the pano to my passengers. It is noisy at that speed and I think the front flap was pushed back so it wouldn't seal properly when closed

There has been lots of discussion about excess heat with the Pano roof. I had a pano roof on my VW TDI Wagon, and found that I kept the sun screen closed all winter because the car was too cold with all of that glass in the roof. Does anyone have any experience yet with the Model S pano roof in cold weather driving (eg. 1 hour drive in 0 degrees F (-20C))?

I love the look of the pano roof, but my VW experience is pushing me in the other direction.

David