Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Papafox's Daily TSLA Trading Charts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 5.03.16 PM.png

Don't you love it when the stock actually does what you expect and then out of the blue someone places a cherry on top? As we last left off, the lower bollinger band kept providing support for TSLA as the media went absolutely frothy at the mouth, trying to talk the stock down over the past week. Today Cramer was leading the pack, clearly removing all doubt who is daring the judge more than anyone to support the SEC in the battle. Yesterday we saw the lengthy "whack the mole" day, which suggested that the turnaround could be near. Even though macros this morning were somewhat negative, TSLA shook off its MMD like a Portuguese Water Dog shedding water just coming out of the stream and didn't allow a dip into the red for the rest of the day. Then, about 2pm, the Feds gave good news that no rate hikes are expected in 2019, and both the NASDAQ and TSLA enjoyed nice runs upward (cherry on top). The NASDAQ peaked a little before 3pm and lost most of its gains but look at how well TSLA behaved. My guess? The bump from the Fed announcement put some fear in both shorts and longs and both sides did a little buying in the closing hour to avoid missing the bottom of this dip by too much. Sweet.

We heard nothing from Judge Nathan today regarding the SEC vs. Elon conflict.

mar20nas.png

Today the NASDAQ got a bump from a Feds announcement in the afternoon but then closed barely in the green at 0.07%

Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 6.48.52 PM.png

Looking at the tech chart, it's rare to see the lower bb "scare" the stock higher even before the SP has penetrated the lower bb for a portion of the day (that includes neither the open nor the close). The behavior on the left side of the chart for the 275 bounce was much more typical.

With delivery information positive in Europe, North America, and China, hopefully the stock can use this catalyst for further climbing during the week and a half between now and the P&D report. The biggest unknown catalyst right now is the SEC issue, but Elon has a good case, excellent attorneys, and the results stand a reasonable chance of being positive.

Conditions:
* Dow down 142 (0.55%)
* NASDAQ up 5 (0.07%)
* TSLA 273.60, up 6.13 (2.29%)
* TSLA volume 6.9M shares
* Oil 60.18
* Percent of selling tagged to TSLA shorts: 40%

mar21chartwtext.png

Today was another eye opener. The very light 37% of selling belonging to shorts shows not that shorts were behaving themselves today, but rather that they are adept in working together to transfer their shorting activities out of the FINRA spotlight in order to carry on their manipulations at will. Fully 111,000 shares traded hands in the opening minute. A brief flurry of buying followed, but the shorts were in fine form today and manufactured two impressive icicles that were the stars of the mornings MMD. The timing and intensity of the sales are shown on the chart above. With macros climbing steadily and strongly today, efforts to hold TSLA in the red failed, and a little before 2pm in a flurry of trading TSLA ascended into the green.

mar21nas.png

The Dow was up nicely today and the NASDAQ climbed strongly for a 1.42% gain

Now the tweet action kicks in. Our own @SPadival from TMC tweeted late last night a link to Jon Stewart interviewing Jim Cramer in which Cramer is caught "red handed" lying about his short selling. At exactly 3:29pm, Elon tweeted back at S Padival and Cramer "Jim, no response?" These words of course meant the viewers of the original tweet just increased by millions and Cramer was going to respond and a bit of fear of a back and forth between Musk and Cramer caused the TSLA gains of the day to erode away. Musk later included another dig at Cramer, Cramer finally replied with basically calling Musk a fraud, and Elon immediately responded with a link to a Wikipedia article about Cramer's experiences learning how to manipulate markets. When that exchange looked like it had ended, the stock price crept back up towards close of after-hours trading.

Usually, I roll my eyes when Elon gets into a Twitter fight, but I make an exception for this one. Those of you who follow this thread know that I've characterized Cramer as the loudest cheerleader, trying to egg the SEC into going after Elon. Cramer recently wrote about how the judge could restrict Musk further because of his second tweet. If Elon leaves it at this, I think we'll be okay because he has shown restraint in his Tweeting (although the bears and the media will likely have much to say tomorrow about the exchange) and we could feel some heat. What I think Elon is trying to accomplish, besides showing the world the reality behind one of his harshest critics, though, is to highlight how short-sellers like Cramer have gotten away with profound market manipulations, are not being pursued by the SEC, but a successful CEO is relentlessly dogged by the SEC. I'll take a few dollars of temporary hit to TSLA because what Elon said needed to be said. Again, let's hope he leaves it at this and goes no further.

mar21cramer.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 9.00.57 PM.png

Important after-hours news includes:

* Judge Nathan has given Elon's team another day to complete the response to the SEC's most recent filing.

* There's also been a letter sent to employees that is an all hands on deck, our number one priority is to get the largest-even end of quarter delivery challenge successfully addressed. No demand, anyone?

* A new referral plan has been announced in which the buyer receives some free supercharger credit and referrers get their names entered into monthly and quarterly drawings for Model Y (Signature edition) and Roadster 2

* The Bloomberg tracker has an impressively high estimate for Model 3 production in Q1
mar21bloomtrack.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 3.01.29 PM.png

Looking at the technical chart, you can see that the tepid climb continues. The shorts don't want to see this recovery, especially with news that the end of quarter delivery frenzy should be the most intense yet. Such words suggests the possibility of a surprise to the upside, which must worry the smarter shorts.

Conditions:
* Dow up 217(0.84%)
* NASDAQ up 110 (1.42%)
* TSLA 274.02, up 0.42 (0.15%)
* TSLA volume 5.9M shares
* Oil 59.98
* Percent of selling tagged to TSLA shorts: 37%

After Q4 I am suspicious the Bloomberg tracker is falsely high so as to manufacture a supposed “miss”....

Tom Randall hasn't been much of a detractor of Tesla, compared to the rest of the media. I think instead he wants to be known as the guru of Model 3 production estimates. Troy fell from favor last quarter, and I think Randall is more motivated by being accurate, which will drive viewers to his page. Take a look, and you'll see advertisers looking for clicks. That's the game, I believe.

Judge Nathan has given Elon's team another day to complete the response to the SEC's most recent filing.

It was not an extra day, Judge Nathan finally approved Elon's team's request to file a response by the 22nd (original requested timeline) at 8 pages instead of 10 (originally requested length) (excluding exhibits).
Nit picky I know, but we are talking lawyers here:)

Our own @SPadival from TMC tweeted late last night a link to Jon Stewart interviewing Jim Cramer in which Cramer is caught "red handed" lying about his short selling. At exactly 3:29pm, Elon tweeted back at S Padival and Cramer "Jim, no response?" These words of course meant the viewers of the original tweet just increased by millions and Cramer was going to respond and a bit of fear of a back and forth between Musk and Cramer caused the TSLA gains of the day to erode away.

Elon actually first responded with “Exactly”.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Then I went to bed after telling a few guys to distract Elon away from Cramer. That obviously didn’t work... but phew, it ended well :p

Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 2.44.59 PM.png

Friday was a big down day for the macros and TSLA followed them down with significant correlation. A dip of 3.5% for TSLA when the NASDAQ is down 2.5% is rather typical, but the frustration for us longs is that TSLA has not be running up with such multiplier effect on good NASDAQ days. Volume of 8.7 million shares traded suggests Friday's red ink came about not so much because longs were trying to get out, but rather that buyers were sitting on the sidelines, waiting for exceptional deals before getting back in.

I'll be very curious to see some short interest numbers soon, as my traveling has made my normal "short sight" email unavailable for a few days, but I'm inclined to believe that short interest has been climbing, which is typical when TSLA is in a perceived funk and the likely outcome will be that shorts will have bought in right near the bottom and will lose considerably once the recovery comes about. TSLA was already showing a propensity to recover this week before the macros went south on us.

Despite these current stock prices being very attractive for entering new long positions, there are emotional reactions among certain investors that kick in about now and sometimes defeat the logical "time to buy" decision. Moreover, the news right now is mostly positive. Elon's attorneys just filed their reply the to SEC's reply, and the arguments presented look extremely strong. Word of exceptional deliveries in Europe keep coming in and deliveries on the east coast are finally looking good as the cars reach that sector. Nonetheless, Consider what might be generating negative emotional reactions to TSLA right now:
* When stock prices are down, the media ups their pressure, feeding off the worry of a low stock price. When a writer can add "Tesla is down 13% this year" to their story, that number provides some justification for making all sorts of bad calls about the company. True to form, the New York Times' Neal Boudette released an intentionally inaccurate piece about Tesla's U.S. deliveries in February deliveries way down from previous deliveries, but fails to mention that in February all Tesla vehicles manufactured were accessorized for European or Chinese deliveries and the NYT article was citing U.S. delivery data.
* When the stock price is down and big news outlets such at the NYT print inaccurate stories that intentionally paint Tesla in a bad light, small, gullible and uninformed shorts jump in and short interest increases at a time when such positions are almost certain to cost their holders money in the not so distant future.
* Manipulations by the big shorts typically increase at low stock prices when a downtrend is present because as long as there's a downtrend, there's a likelihood of profits in the manipulative trades themselves.
* Long investors, who may be a bit rattled from the constant downward pressure on the stock, sometimes start to think that the stock price is low "because someone knows more than me". Typically, the reasons for the low stock price are something else entirely.

The good news is that Tesla looks to be delivering on their plan. The Shanghai factory is taking shape at an extraordinary speed, Model Y is now revealed and could become the fastest selling vehicle of all time when it reaches full production, reports of efficiencies and cost reductions abound, Elon has a very strong legal defense against the SEC's accusations, and as the final week of deliveries approach Tesla is processing the largest wave of deliveries the company has ever seen. Even if the macros decline in the coming year, TSLA has a reputation for shaking off the macros when news is good, and once the SEC controversy and worries about Q1 are put to bed, the recovery can begin in earnest.

mar22nas.png

Macros were down significantly on Friday, with the NASDAQ down 2.50%

mar22short.png

Even with efforts by shorts to keep the percent of selling by TSLA shorts down below 41%, they just couldn't help themselves on Friday and the number rose to 46.5%

Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 2.46.58 PM.png

Looking at the technical chart, you can see the rather steep angle of the lower bollinger band means that the band is falling quicker than the stock price and therefore it is not offering a great deal of help right now to days with negative trading.

For the week, TSLA closed at 264.53, down $11 from last Friday's 275.53. I suspect there will be some positioning for the Q1 P&D report, and so we might see relief to the downward pressure before then. Quite simply, the dip has become emotional and has divorced itself from Tesla's current progress. We've seen these emotional dips with help from the short-sellers and FUDsters before. You just ride them out or you find spare change and add to your position when they come around. A one-two punch of Elon defeating the SEC charges plus a positive surprise with production and deliveries would do the trick. Have a good weekend.

Conditions:
* Dow down 460 (1.77%)
* NASDAQ down 196 (2.50%)
* TSLA 264.53, down 9.49 (3.46%)
* TSLA volume 8.7M shares
* Oil 59.04
* Percent of selling tagged to TSLA shorts: 46.5%

A one-two punch of Elon defeating the SEC charges plus a positive surprise with production and deliveries would do the trick.

I think the worries about production are mostly gone now. Deliveries, too. I think the real remaining issue is profitability. Everyone expects that there is a big demand for the Model 3 SR. Musk has already indicated that Tesla can't make that car at a decent profit, so high deliveries just mean more red ink. Having many cars in the pipeline to Europe won't help, even though people will understand it.

I think the worries about production are mostly gone now. Deliveries, too. I think the real remaining issue is profitability. Everyone expects that there is a big demand for the Model 3 SR. Musk has already indicated that Tesla can't make that car at a decent profit, so high deliveries just mean more red ink. Having many cars in the pipeline to Europe won't help, even though people will understand it.

You have media outlets such as The New York Times harping on the demand issue pretty heavily, and so the uninformed new shorts get in with this crazily-inaccurate media coverage. Meanwhile, plenty of longs get nervous with the SEC issue underway, but most have not bothered to read the documents and don't understand that Elon has a seriously good chance of beating the SEC this time. Since the SEC typically wins 90% of their cases, someone who does only light homework can assess the liabilities inaccurately. As for the SR, I think you'll see far more SR + cars sold, and they will be somewhat profitable and becoming more profitable all the time. Keep an eye on Troy's spreadsheet of Model 3 orders. I think we're going to see plenty of people drawn to the $35,000 Model 3 and then placing an order for a more deluxe version. I had never owned a new car or anything fancier than a 4 year old Honda Civic when I ordered my Model S 40 back in 2012, but I added about 10K in options to it before all was done. Others will too.

Regarding profitability of SR and SR+, we're not going to see much effect in Q1 because the percentage of these vehicles in the lineup will be light. Hopefully, analysts can get a reasonable answer from Elon on the Q1 ER CC so that we get a flavor of what is to come.

Last edited:
I hope the shorts realize we are close to the tip of a rather large down wedge. And we’re close to long term support.

This down wedge is not as big as the one marked by the “Spiegel Double Bottom” @ 180 (and we all know how that ended) but it’s the biggest one since.

Wedge pattern - Wikipedia

upload_2019-3-23_20-45-57.jpeg

Note the breakout attempts towards the tip of the wedge... eventually one will “pop” and we’re overdue for one.

The way I interpret “wedge” is the exhaustion of the bull or bear influence.... as in on a down wedge, each bearish oscillation within it is smaller until the bearish influence is relatively small compared to the effort: bearish saturation.

Last edited:
Regarding profitability of SR and SR+, we're not going to see much effect in Q1 because the percentage of these vehicles in the lineup will be light.

Does anyone know what percentage of the 30K delivery push that's underway now consists of SR/SR+ versions? The SR/SR+ Waiting Room thread seems to have a decent number of people expecting deliveries the last few days of March.

Does anyone know what percentage of the 30K delivery push that's underway now consists of SR/SR+ versions? The SR/SR+ Waiting Room thread seems to have a decent number of people expecting deliveries the last few days of March.

Here's a link to Troy's most current Model 3 page
A quick count of Model 3s listed since Feb28 (when SR and SR+ appear) is: 164
SRs listed 7 (4%)
SR+s listed 51 (31%)
If your count varies from mine it is likely more correct as I counted quickly only once and am looking for rough numbers, not exact numbers

Implications: Although the $35000 Model 3 market should be 5x times bigger than the higher end market, we're not seeing those kind of numbers so far in Troy's spreadsheet. SR plus SR+ equals only about 35% of total orders. I suggest that people are doing what I was doing when ordering a $49,999 Model S in 2012: spending money to upgrade the car before the final order. The low basic cost pulled me into buyer mode and the lure of a nicer car caused me to option up. Remember, too, that SR and SR+ were available in U.S. for only 1 month and not at all in Europe and China for Q1.

Biases in this methodology include: virtually no Chinese participation and low European participation in spreadsheet, plus no SR and SR+ orders available yet for Europe.

Last edited:
Thanks TT007. I am trying to free up the time to jump into writing the book about the war that is raging to prevent Tesla from succeeding. It's high time someone wrote it, and I'm very comfortable with book-length projects.

Don’t rush, but please hurry.

See, I’m writing the musical, and I will need the material. Wait ‘til you hear “Mountain” from Act I. Won’t be a dry eye in the house.

The book said:
“Even Musk could not simply go to Russia.” This ancient Vulcan proverb...
There. Started Chapter 3 for ya!

Don’t rush, but please hurry.

See, I’m writing the musical, and I will need the material. Wait ‘til you hear “Mountain” from Act I. Won’t be a dry eye in the house.

There. Started Chapter 3 for ya!
Please don't mention Chapter 11. The shorts and trolls will go bonkers. o_O

Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 5.50.15 PM.png

Today was a day with light, mixed macros, not much news of consequence, and a ferocious mandatory morning dip. If you look at the technical chart lower in this post, you'll see that the MMD came about when 157K shares were sold in the first minute, 93K in the second, and 70K in the fourth, that led to the day's low of 255.05 at 9:36. The MMD nonetheless accomplished what it set out to do: approach the lower bollinger band, and advertise that today would not be a good day for TSLA.
News included:
* JMP Securities reiterates outperform rating for TSLA
* RBC Capital reiterates underperform rating for TSLA and lower PT from 245 to 210 on expectations of 52.5K M3 deliveries vs. 57K in Q1
* Tesla raised the cost of offered Model Y vehicles by $1000 apiece today. One positive result of this move is that it sets in motion an upward movement of prices, rather than a downward. When there are downward movements, such as with Model 3 in recent months, buyers have a tendency to wait and see if more discounts happen. When prices are moving upward, the motivation is to lock in a price now rather than to wait.

The Bloomberg Model 3 Tracker is now showing over 6K/week production rate and 81,000 M3s for Q1. Unfortunately, Tom Randall is now qualifying the results and saying we agree with others that our numbers are too high. They're not adjusting their numbers yet, but it looks like they're playing both sides with super-high production numbers but warnings that we're too high (but don't know why).

Tesla is very much a momentum stock, and after such a big fall in recent weeks, many investors are cautious about jumping in because we've seen multiple declines. With so many "false recoveries" started already, investors remain wary, and we might need a nice catalyst before the SP soars again. I'm thinking that a successful conclusion to Elon's battle with the SEC would do the trick, and good P&D numbers in early April could do the trick as well. Once the run upwards begins, it could pick up some nice momentum because this is such an attractive exit point for short-sellers. Speaking of the SEC battle, Elon's attorneys have informed the judge that they do not wish an evidentiary hearing (the SEC has also informed they do not seek such a hearing). The judge is now free to either schedule a final hearing or to make her decision.

Take a look at the climb into close and the slight climb at end of after-hours trading. Such climbs suggest more opportunity being seen by traders than fear, and if macros and FUD allow tomorrow, we could see some recovery. Market trading closed with 253K of shares traded in the final minute. I take this large amount of buying (plus the uptrend right after close) as signs of manipulating shorts closing their positions for the day. Notice with the MMD defeated early on and a rising trend in the morning with no substantial afternoon dip, the shorts who engineered the MMD were caught without a decent price to close their MMD manipulations, so today would have been a money loser for them (if we don't count the effect upon their core short positions).

mar25nas.png

The NASDAQ closed down a mere 0.07% today and TSLA was mostly trading out of step with the NASDAQ

mar25ihor.png

Meanwhile, we learn that TSLA is getting restocked with gullible short-sellers, practicing that age-old technique of selling low (and ultimately buying high).

Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 4.24.46 PM.png

Looking at the technical chart, you can see that TSLA almost touched the lower bb today. Take a look at last Monday, which is the lower long red candle five to the left of today's candle. Notice the game was the same, push down on Monday to touch the lower bb. Friday's dip with bad macro's was the perfect setup for the shorts trying to engineer a redo of last Monday, but the market wasn't willing to let such a low price stick this time around.

Conditions:
* Dow up 15 (0.06%)
* NASDAQ down 5 (0.07%)
* TSLA 260.42, down 4.11 (1.55%)
* TSLA volume 10.2M shares
* Oil 59.34
* Percent of selling tagged to TSLA shorts: 43%

Last edited:
Please don't mention Chapter 11. The shorts and trolls will go bonkers. o_O

Here's the funny thing. In my last book, I was writing about two airlines that went into Chapter 11 about the same time. It just so happened that it was Chapter 22. So, I called the chapter "Double-Barreled Bankruptcy" and below it I wrote (Chapter 11 x 2)

mar26chart.png

Today was a nicely green macro day, and with yesterday's MMD so thoroughly defeated, it's no surprise that TSLA traders were bullish today. Volume was mild today, suggesting that longs were in no mood to sell. News on deliveries overseas and in the U.S. continues to be good as Tesla settles into the final days of the month in an effort to bring Q1 deliveries up to expectations.
* Norway saw 578 Tesla deliveries today, a new daily record
* Judge Nathan has named April 4 the day when the SEC and Elon's attorneys meet for oral arguments to conclude this conflict.

Looking at the trading, you can see that the NASDAQ (below) started a fade after 10am for most of the day, with a nice jump up in the final half hour. This would normally be a nice setup for shorts nudging TSLA down at least as quickly in the lower volume afternoon hours, but apparently buyers kept buying throughout the day and and none of the dips went very far.

As you know, yesterday I suggested that if macros and FUD allowed, today could be a recovery day. Such is not a difficult call with the signs we saw yesterday. The tough call is when we see the sustained and substantial recovery without the recent backtracking. With the timing of the SEC battle likely to conclude within a week or so of the April P&D report, I'm feeling like the sustained recovery happens when these two events are successfully concluded. That said, the market has a tendency to anticipate good things, and if signs of deliveries look encouraging and observations from the courtroom suggest the judge is leaning in Elon's favor, the run up can start sooner. I'm looking at the excellent price of TSLA right now and I'm glad I'm in and ready to either ride out a bump or ride a nice recovery upward. This is a stock that doesn't think twice about running up or down $25 in a day. The last time I saw such inappropriate dread was during the leadup to the SolarCity vote. After the overwhelming vote to absorb SolarCity the stock price began a very nice recovery. I suspect we'll see similar behavior after the SEC court judgement and after the Q1 P&D report provided both are reasonably benign for Tesla and Elon Musk.

mar26nas.png

The NASDAQ gained 0.71% today, with the DOW up as well

mar26short.png

TSLA shorts were tagged with 42% of the selling today, staying consistent with the reduced visible manipulations of March

mar26tech.png

Looking at the tech chart, you can see the sizable jump TSLA took today. What we want to see is TSLA climb above the mid-bollinger band for now in order to start that lower bollinger band upwards so that it provides support at a more reasonable price point.

Finally, Linette Lopez of Business Insider was up to particularly bad behavior today as she called Elon Musk a liar for suggesting that Tesla would produce around 500,000 vehicles in 2019. My guess is that she was being so outrageously bad in order to tempt Elon to send her a tweet and get himself in more hot water. It's such a shame that "journalistic ethics" is becoming an oxymoron in this age of clickbait writers. I attach a screenshot of my tweet to her.
mar26linette.png

Conditions:
* Dow up 141 (0.55%)
* NASDAQ up 54 (0.71%)
* TSLA 267.77, up 7.35 (2.82%)
* TSLA volume 7.3M shares
* Oil 59.94
* Percent of selling tagged to TSLA shorts: 42%

Last edited: