Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Papafox's Daily TSLA Trading Charts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any "price increase" circuit breakers to be aware of if we have a large enough gap up or increase over the trading day?

Pardon the repost:
The single stock intra day circuit breaks limits are doubled pre 9:45 a.m. For TSLA (assuming it is tier 1), that means a 20% swing the first 15 minutes, 5% after.

Swing is the difference between the 5 minute average and current price, must exceed limit for 15 seconds. Once triggered, a 5 minute pause kicks in, max pause length is 10 minutes (5 min filter clear for trigger, plus last 5 minute pause?)

Only applies to normal market hours. Does not include gap up.

So we can gap up infinitely, then tack on at least another 10% before anything slows down.

Per Circuit Breaker

oct1chart.JPG

Congratulations, longs, today we unwound the SEC-caused dip from Friday. Here are the stats:
* Today: TSLA up 45.83 (17.35%), volume 21.5M shares
* Friday: TSLA down 42.75 (13.90%), volume 33.3M shares

With the uptick circuit breaker in place, we saw generally smooth trading today, without the usual big rises followed by methodical walking down of the SP, then repeat. It makes sense for the recovery to be somewhat stronger than the fall because Tesla is in better shape now than before the SEC suit because not only the SEC suit, but also the SEC investigation is concluded, and there's strong reason to believe that the DOJ inquiries will go no further than inquiries.

oct1short450.png

Selling of TSLA by shorts was a mild 55.64% today and a decline makes sense because it would be difficult to make money manipulating with the uptick rule in place.

oct1tech.png

Looking at the technical chart, you can see that the upper bb was not an issue in how high the SP went today. Rather, I think the primary focus was on unwinding Friday's losses. The SP ending right at the 50 day moving average suggests that the 50 DMA is a resistance level.Friday and today will be the quickest TSLA runs from upper bb to lower and then almost back to upper again in the history of the stock. Notice one benefit of the dip and recovery is that the price changes caused the upper bb to rise, which gives TSLA more headroom in case the P&D report is only mildly good (not expecting this, though).

What happens tomorrow? If there's no news yet, expect the shorts to try some slight of hand to push the SP down a bit. I think their best opportunity would be to let some opening buying bid the SP up a bit and then turn the momentum around and sell into an MMD. If that happens, then buying toward the bottom of the MMD would be an opportunity to pick up a discount prior to the P&D report news. I wouldn't expect an MMD to hold up going into afternoon.

When the report does come out, the reaction depends not only on the production and delivery numbers but also upon whether the report includes word of cash flow positive and GAAP profitability. If profitability is mentioned, then it's off to the races. If Tesla does not include reiteration of profitability in the report but the numbers are good enough to suggest profitability, it can again be off to the races because the various analysts will plug the numbers into their spreadsheet models and start telling us their best guesses of profits and cash flow. Looking forward to it all! If Tesla has indeed reached GAAP profitability in Q3, then it's off to the races and the upper bollinger band will be playing catch-up, rather than becoming a constraint. What the shorts don't expect is positive cash flow approaching or exceed a billion dollars in Q3. That's probably a number reserved for the earnings report and a reason to be investing in November when the earnings report comes out, but analysts will give us the cash flow from their models and the SP will benefit.

Conditions:
* Dow up 193 (0.73%)
* NASDAQ down 9 (0.11%)
* TSLA 310.70, up 45.93 (17.35%)
* TSLA volume 21.5M shares
* Oil 73.53, up 0.28 (0.38%)

Someone on here had emailed Tesla IR about including profitability in the production and delivery report, and was told it would take a few additional days to close the books for the quarter to be able to make a determination on profitability. So don't be surprised if there's no mention tomorrow when the report comes out.

I certainly hope there is, but we may have to wait until later in the week for that bit of news.

If you didn't see my post in the market action thread today, please take a look:
TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

I suggest we use the Elon Musk suit brought by the SEC as springboard to getting the SEC to put at least as much effort into looking for SEC violations on the other side of the coin, the short-seller side that includes the media-shorts connection and the suspicious timing of notes by certain analysts. More later.

If you didn't see my post in the market action thread today, please take a look:

I suggest we use the Elon Musk suit brought by the SEC as springboard to getting the SEC to put at least as much effort into looking for SEC violations on the other side of the coin, the short-seller side that includes the media-shorts connection and the suspicious timing of notes by certain analysts. More later.
If there's a thread where people are assembling evidence and signing a letter, please point to it. (New thread?)

If there's a thread where people are assembling evidence and signing a letter, please point to it. (New thread?)

I'm figuring this out now. On one hand, a thread would be very useful for this purpose. On the other hand, anything someone says on the thread would be read by shorts and anything that someone said on the thread that was compromising in some way might be used against the effort. Let me give it a bit more thought. Suggestions welcome.

I'm figuring this out now. On one hand, a thread would be very useful for this purpose. On the other hand, anything someone says on the thread would be read by shorts and anything that someone said on the thread that was compromising in some way might be used against the effort. Let me give it a bit more thought. Suggestions welcome.

Good thoughts. Maybe simply initiate a private conversation where you invite people that are helpful for that matter. That identification will be easy here at this board.

AFAIK in that conversation more members can be invited. What I don't know though is if its restricted by a number. It will help to get this moving if you define a smaller core group anyway I believe.

Update from that private conversations would be helpful for the broader audience.

Reactions: AlMc and madodel
When will you understand that shorting tesla is not for profit but for depresssing the company?

Those who could, aleady see. There is only one way to end shorting-buyback.

Sooner or later elon will see... no buyback no mars.

Regarding shorting for profit, I'm not talking about your average short and hold types. I'm talking about the very active day-shorters who churn shares regularly, sometimes multiple transactions in a day. When the stock price is rising in a rather uniform fashion, it is nearly impossible to make money on shorting transactions. OTOH, When we see a jump several dollars into the green like we saw this morning and the news is ambiguous enough to allow a big short effort to pull that SP down into the red, then there's money to be made. The idea is that the daily shorts who churn lots of shares sometimes make money, sometimes lose money, but their efforts have a downward pull on the SP overall. If you string too many positive TSLA days together, then the process of manipulative churning of short shares becomes expensive and you see the percentage of selling by shorts drop, which shows that lower churning activity.

I agree with you that depressing the SP overall is a primary goal of the short-term short-sellers because they likely also have core holdings of shorted shares. I'm saying the act of manipulation can be profitable or unprofitable, and these people will not continue too many unprofitable days of short-term manipulations if it is unprofitable.

Perhaps it could be done via a google site.

For example, I just created the site sites.google.com/view/teslasec and then made it invite only. Inviting someone to the page would give them the ability to edit the website.

Edit: I just made it public sites.google.com/view/teslasec

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AZRI11
oct2cchart.JPG

Today Tesla released production and delivery data for Q3 18 that met its targets and signals that Tesla is on track for becoming a consistently profitable company with sufficient internal cash flow generated to meet its current obligations. Why then did the stock price go down today instead of up?

First, let's look at the numbers:
Production:
80,142 vehicles with 53,239 Model 3s and 26,903 S&X
Deliveries:
83,500 vehicles with 55,840 Model 3s, 14,470 Model S and 13,190 Model X

If you plug these numbers into a reasonable spreadsheet model such as the one luvb2b has put together and you assume that a reasonable number of ZEV credits were sold during the quarter, you arrive at the following projected results for Q3:
GAAP Earnings per share: $ 0.33
Non-GAAP Diluted Earnings per share: $1.43
Net change in Cash: $721,161,000

Nobody gets a spreadsheet model exactly right, so we'll cut luvb2b some slack when the final numbers come out in November, but you can see that it looks like Tesla did what they set out to do in Q3: show a small GAAP profit and generate a ton of cash that will be needed in paying down debt in early 2019. The GAAP profit calculation is close enough to the break-even number, however, so that Tesla did the conservative thing and didn't declare profitability at the time of the P&D report. The lack of reiterating Tesla's earlier profitable and cash flow positive mantra in the report is the reason, I believe, that the market didn't resist too hard when the shorts started walking down the SP shortly after a green opening. Also, the information about headwinds in China did not help. The difficulties with the tariffs in China was likely intended to have some positive implications such as Tesla doing so well in Q3 DESPITE the China headwinds and Tesla seeing the need to accelerate creation of the China factory. Casual readers see China issues and react with a negative, unfortunately.

Let's look at the specifics of the day's trading. TSLA topped out at 317 in pre-market trading shortly after the P&D news was released. Price exceeded 315 shortly into market hours, but the shorts figured the weakness of no reiteration of profits in the report was enough for them to work with and they sold the SP down to 304 by 10:10am. Buyers bid the SP back up and there was a level cap at 316 for about 10 minutes as shorts sold what was necessary to cap, then they push down but buyers again started bidding the SP back up. After 11:55am TSLA started a slow descent, which accelerated after 3:00pm. The SP bottomed at 3:25pm and recovered some into the close.

If Tesla had included a reiteration of profit and FCF+ in their P&D report today, I think the shorts still would have tried to control the SP and push it into the red, but they would have lost control in the morning and the SP would have climbed well into the green in afternoon. I expressed such a concern yesterday regarding the need for the wording, but I understand with the SEC scrutiny upon Tesla, Musk and company didn't want to claim profitability and then find out in a few days they they missed it by a sliver. The good news is that bullish analysts such as Ben Kallo should be plugging the production and delivery numbers into their models and sharing the results with their clients, who are busy buying in after-hours trading. Don't believe me? Look at the final hour of trading in the chart above. That's a better than $3 improvement. After the top clients get a chance to buy, analysts will share their findings with the public and things get positive at that point.

I'm expecting a better day tomorrow, judging by the late after-hours trading. You and I might just be a day ahead of the market. It happens sometimes.

oct2short.png

Shorts did 57.45% of TSLA selling today, up a bit from yesterday

Conditions:
* Dow up 123 (0.46%)
* NASDAQ down 38 (0.47%)
* TSLA 301.02, down 9.68 (3.12%)
* TSLA volume 11.6M shares
* Oil 75.18, down 0.05 (0.07%)
* Percent of TSLA selling by shorts: 57.45%

Last edited:

if you need to delegate a few assignments to some people, i’m game to help out

Perhaps it could be done via a google site.

For example, I just created the site sites.google.com/view/teslasec and then made it invite only. Inviting someone to the page would give them the ability to edit the website.

Edit: I just made it public sites.google.com/view/teslasec

@oneday , thanks much for this suggestion. I find myself very time constrained, and although this approach can be a good one, it requires a fair amount of effort to screen the participants. For this reason, I'm more inclined to write up a thoughtful introduction to the idea, propose some potential manipulations the SEC needs to look at, and then publish it as a new thread on TMC so that others can add their good ideas as well. Let's get this thing done but in an efficient way. @Boomer19 , thanks too for the willingness to help. I will dive into the project now.

Reactions: riverFox