Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Park Seek Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any further info on this?

0hmpwgp5g0s91.jpg

The only reason Smart Summon is trash is because it doesn't use the FSD Stack. During AI day it was stated that smart summon and features such as park seek mode will use the FSD stack by the end of the year.

Here is what the FSD stack can do in a parking lot:

And to add to the hysteria - the video shows the older 2020 video, which had RADAR and Ultrasonics and wanted to crash into walls.

Reactions: DarkForest
also, speaking of parking lots. How does FSD handle leaving a parking lot where your workpass opens up the swing arm as you leave the lot?
Your Optimus robot gets out of the car and holds your parking key card over the sensor to raise the arm, then gets back into the car and wirelessly lets the car know it can proceed. 😂

Okay, in all seriousness, you wouldn't engage FSD in a controlled parking lot, as there is no automated solution for these. Perhaps, in the future, parking lot operators will standardize on some sort of RFID, like toll lanes do, to enter and exit a controlled lot.

This is true, BTW, for all AVs - a Waymo can't enter a controlled parking lot either, since you have to roll down the window and press a button to get a ticket. No driver, no button pressing. :)

The only reason Smart Summon is trash is because it doesn't use the FSD Stack. During AI day it was stated that smart summon and features such as park seek mode will use the FSD stack by the end of the year.
5 years ago, Tesla said a car would drive itself across the country that year, including robo chargers and parking as needed, even reading signs.
Tesla also told us that autopilot would be single stack in the middle of 2021, including highway and summon.
I'm sure their date will be right this time though.

Okay, in all seriousness, you wouldn't engage FSD in a controlled parking lot,
Ok. I could have sworn one of these threads referenced "parking space to parking space" recently..

and add to that, FSD being promised as being completed by 12/31/2022.

Add to that, Smart Summon being part of the FSD stack by 12/31/2022...and well....

Ok. I could have sworn one of these threads referenced "parking space to parking space" recently..

and add to that, FSD being promised as being completed by 12/31/2022.

Add to that, Smart Summon being part of the FSD stack by 12/31/2022...and well....
I can see open parking lot to open parking lot being the goal, but as I said, no AV or ADAS system will handle controlled parking lots. It's not possible without the technology improvements I've described.

5 years ago, Tesla said a car would drive itself across the country that year, including robo chargers and parking as needed, even reading signs.
Tesla also told us that autopilot would be single stack in the middle of 2021, including highway and summon.
I'm sure their date will be right this time though.
Yeah Elon time is something else but the latest iterations of FSD have been impressive to say the least.

FSD almost always go nuts in parking lots for me, the wheel starts hunting back and forth like mad and it jerkily starts and stops. If the lot has well-defined pathway markings and the navigation system is able to divine the proper turn-by-turn directions from map data then it's okay but a lot of parking lots are horribly designed and don't have much rules or logic to getting around them.

Reactions: VanFriscia
FSD almost always go nuts in parking lots for me, the wheel starts hunting back and forth like mad and it jerkily starts and stops. If the lot has well-defined pathway markings and the navigation system is able to divine the proper turn-by-turn directions from map data then it's okay but a lot of parking lots are horribly designed and don't have much rules or logic to getting around them.
When was the last time you used it in a parking lot?

When was the last time you used it in a parking lot?
Actually this morning, but I rarely do because it doesn't seem like they shipped any code for handling parking lots properly yet, it just sometimes works by accident. They're supposed to ship that stuff in the coming months. It's just like roundabouts, at some point I'm sure the FSD team will really focus on roundabouts and spend some months making them work properly, but right now the car just kind of limps through them by accident.

Reactions: DarkForest
Actually this morning, but I rarely do because it doesn't seem like they shipped any code for handling parking lots properly yet, it just sometimes works by accident. It's just like roundabouts, at some point I'm sure the FSD team will really focus on roundabouts and spend some months making them work properly, but right now the car just kind of limps through them by accident.
Parking lots were being mapped by another mapping company, so I recall that some lots don't have much if any data and therefore don't work well. There was a time when my local supermarket lots weren't usable, but then after the map update several months ago, it can handle them pretty well.

Parking lots were being mapped by another mapping company, so I recall that some lots don't have much if any data and therefore don't work well. There was a time when my local supermarket lots weren't usable, but then after the map update several months ago, it can handle them pretty well.
Yeah they pull from OpenStreetMaps, and any of us can go in and improve the mapping there, I've mapped out a bunch of local parking lots when smart summon first shipped. But really FSD needs to work without maps. Like it needs to find a parking lot exit without the crutch of turn-by-turn navigation and maps, something that I have trouble with as a human at times.

• Informative
Reactions: edseloh